British Speedway Forum
The White Knight

European Union - In Or Out?

2 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

BUT it has not been caused by Brexit ...

It will be a taster of things to come in a couple of weeks. What is needed in these worst of times is for our PM to grow a pair and ask for a 6 month extension while this 5hit show plays out. But he is a clueless ditherer.

Edited by Steve Shovlar
  • Like 4

Just now, Vincent Blachshadow said:

I wouldn't put money on that. I reckon they were looking for a way to show what they can do and we handed it to them on a plate.

CONSIDERING it is the French, that may be true but that still isn't down to Brexit per se

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

It will be a taster of things to come in a couple of weeks. What is needed in these worst of times is for our PM to grow a pair and ask for a 6 month extension while this 5hit show plays out. But he is a clueless ditherer.

WHAT will change in six months? They have had over four years to come to an agreement. 

Edited by PHILIPRISING
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

How on earth can anyone honestly defend brexit at this current time? Seriously?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, PHILIPRISING said:

WHAT will change in six weeks? They have had over four years to come to an agreement. 

Six weeks? More like 2 weeks until utter mayhem with a no deal.

10 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

So the ports into France have all been closed for a minimum of 48 hours from midnight tonight. No traffic going out. Thought France didn’t have sovereignty due to being a member of the E.U.? Sounds like they have it all along.

The French version of sovereignty is, and always has been, to do whatever they want irrespective of EU rules and regulations if it suits them.

Strange this should arise just when the EU, but especially the French are looking to twist the UKs arm for the final deal.

Like just about everything involving the EU and in particular the French it stinks of political shenanigans at the expense of most of its members.

We will be well shot of them.

• Like 4

The passenger ban is no question down to Coronavirus. The haulier ban is unquestionably the French playing silly buggers under cover of Coronavirus, trying to apply Brexit pressure.

The vast majority of the lorries caught up in Operation Stack are European hauliers trying to get home so they won't be happy with the French.

You can certainly tell our Steve has never worked in food retail. The minute the French announced the ban you can guarantee the big 4 supermarkets at least would be moving mountains to ensure continuity of supply, exploring other transport options. The MSM pushing the '25% comes through Dover'. If my maths is correct, 75% doesn'tB)

The EU perishable suppliers will be happy with the French, their products rotting on Calais docks at their busiest, most profitable, time of year.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Vince said:

The French version of sovereignty is, and always has been, to do whatever they want irrespective of EU rules and regulations if it suits them.

The funny thing is a lot of the Brexit camp were and still have been complaining about being under a 'faceless' dictatorship from Brussels, when all along the UK could have done thing differently. As I have stated before they had an 8 year time span to allow what ended up as a 'flood' of Bulgarians and other unwanted's into the country, but waived the right......

Also heard a lot of people who landed in Germany last night had to stay at the airport over night and need to have a Covid test......

Edited by iris123
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

WHAT will change in six months? They have had over four years to come to an agreement. 

Oven ready.......... I hope they haven't bought the turkey!!!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, iris123 said:

The funny thing is a lot of the Brexit camp were and still have been complaining about being under a 'faceless' dictatorship from Brussels, when all along the UK could have done thing differently. As I have stated before they had an 8 year time span to allow what ended up as a 'flood' of Bulgarians and other unwanted's into the country, but waived the right......

Also heard a lot of people who landed in Germany last night had to stay at the airport over night and need to have a Covid test......

Personally I have never been in doubt that the government of the time massively underestimated the impact of immigration from Eastern Europe and should have taken advantage of the opportunity offered to stagger it. The difference is that our government won't stand by and watch our citizens break EU law with impunity.

Is it not however very suspicious that at a time when negotiations are said to be left with fishing to resolve that we get a show of power from the French ports first? It has always been likely that the biggest disruption from leaving the EU would be the power of the French farmers and fishermen that their government will do nothing to restrain.

1 minute ago, Vince said:

Personally I have never been in doubt that the government of the time massively underestimated the impact of immigration from Eastern Europe and should have taken advantage of the opportunity offered to stagger it. The difference is that our government won't stand by and watch our citizens break EU law with impunity.

Is it not however very suspicious that at a time when negotiations are said to be left with fishing to resolve that we get a show of power from the French ports first? It has always been likely that the biggest disruption from leaving the EU would be the power of the French farmers and fishermen that their government will do nothing to restrain.

I do agree. It is nothing new. We have seen for decades that the French block ports etc at the drop of a hat. But living in sort of border land here. Well psychologically as it was historically as much linked to Denmark as any German state, the Danes have, much to the annoyance of the people who cross the border for work etc  closed the border at the drop of a hat recently too. Plus put up a border fence to stop the pig virus, which was controversial at least for those along the border 

But basically we look at the French with a mix of admiration and jealousy at how they stand up for their rights imo

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

How on earth can anyone honestly defend brexit at this current time? Seriously?

Because the referendum voted for it.  Quite simple really.  :)

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, DC2 said:

Because the referendum voted for it.  Quite simple really.  :)

Doesn't make it right. I have made many bad decisions in my business life over the years and have been able to admit I was wrong!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iris123 said:

Did they waive the right completely Iris or did they just allow a few years earlier than was going to happen anyway ? I can’t remember. All I remember is Blair saying it would be 15,000 and it turned out to be 500,000. It was at that point , as I recall , that the Leave campaign started to gain traction.

• Like 1