British Speedway Forum
The White Knight

European Union - In Or Out?

6 hours ago, E I Addio said:

The Parliamentary majority taking the UK out the EU was far greater than the relatively slim majority taking us into it, which John Major had to turn into a  confidence vote to get it through, and which was pushed through without any public consultation. 

The vote of a gerrymandered Parliament is not relevant to this discussion.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, dj350z said:

I thought we were told we wouldn't need migrant workers. All these migrants coming over and taking jobs from the 'Brits'! British jobs for British workers and all that..........

We are told many things, most of it is BS...

28 minutes ago, Blupanther said:

If you'd just stop posting then the amount would drop by around 60% by my calculations :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, iris123 said:

If you'd just stop posting then the amount would drop by around 60% by my calculations :D

Could you provide a link to that study...:)

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Blupanther said:

Could you provide a link to that study...:)

Not been peer reviewed yet, but I think many have a similar result :P

2 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Good to hear Greta is on the job...:D

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Presumably Tsunami is checking your figures?

.......  we might be some time!   :D

2 minutes ago, DC2 said:

Presumably Tsunami is checking your figures?

.......  we might be some time!   :D

You'll probably end up with a gas bill instead - one that's incorrect...:D

Edited by Humphrey Appleby
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

You'll probably end up with a gas bill instead - one that's incorrect...:D

Well it seems the UK government couldn't even work out how many lorries were in the queue yesterday.....:D

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Well it seems the UK government couldn't even work out how many lorries were in the queue yesterday.....:D

Apparently they were counted using a model from Imperial College.

It’s clear from the photos that only 10 lorries were queuing. (0 confidence ratio) :D

2 hours ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

The vote of a gerrymandered Parliament is not relevant to this discussion.

The vote that took us into the EU was the vote of a gerrymandered Parliament by reason of John Majors questionable tactics tho get the Maastricht Bill through. It is highly relevant to this discussion as it has been the root of the problem ever since. 

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

The Remain camp was up against years of negative propaganda from the populist press, and even national governments who chose to blame the EU for unpopular legislation they wished to introduce themselves. The benefits of the EU are also quite technical such as facilitating free trade and services, a transparent Irish border, and as such were largely invisible to the general public - at least until economic disruption started to hit and jobs began to disappear. 

It was very difficult to fight the lies about emotive subjects such as the NHS, Turkey and immigration because the public really don't bother to look at the actual facts. I don't think Remain (in fact Cameron and Osbourne) really told lies about the ultimate impact of Brexit, only really exaggerating some of the timescales.

Obama and Verhofstadt were neither here-nor-there. People would have already made up their minds on the Brexit matter regardless of what they said. 

But it hardly matters. Implementing a constitutional matter of the utmost significance on the back of a very slim plurality was and remain a complete nonsense, as we increasingly see as the UK heads towards an economic abyss driven by ridiculous ideology and con men. 

Thanks for that Humph.. what a brilliant get out clause to your arguments about 'lies' from either sides!

Leavers lied, but Remainers only exaggerated the timescales! Brilliant!!! You should be a politician.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Blupanther said:

...or on the BSF.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, dj350z said:

I thought we were told we wouldn't need migrant workers. All these migrants coming over and taking jobs from the 'Brits'!    British jobs for British workers and all that..........

We always know when someone is about to come out with a load of waffle. They always pre-fix it with I thoughtOld Humps always trying that one on .  However British jobs for British workers was Gordon browns catchphrase, nothing to do with Brexit.  Here's the lad 'imself in full flow with his famous saying back in 2007 just before his economic plans unravelled. and long before Brexit.

Gordon Brown's "British Jobs" speech 2007 - YouTube

Still , dont let a few facts get in the way of "thought " :unsure:

Edited by E I Addio

54 minutes ago, E I Addio said:

We always know when someone is about to come out with a load of waffle. They always pre-fix it with I thoughtOld Humps always trying that one on .  However British jobs for British workers was Gordon browns catchphrase, nothing to do with Brexit.  Here's the lad 'imself in full flow with his famous saying back in 2007 just before his economic plans unravelled. and long before Brexit.

Gordon Brown's "British Jobs" speech 2007 - YouTube

Still , dont let a few facts get in the way of "thought " :unsure:

When posters prefix replies with We always know it is always to deflect from the truth!!!!       I don't care what Gordon Brown said, this is what I am referring to:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/sep/08/british-jobs-workers-fascist-government-brexit-plan

100% to do with Brexit. 

• Like 3