British Speedway Forum
The White Knight

European Union - In Or Out?

1 hour ago, E I Addio said:

We always know when someone is about to come out with a load of waffle. They always pre-fix it with I thoughtOld Humps always trying that one on .  However British jobs for British workers was Gordon browns catchphrase, nothing to do with Brexit.  Here's the lad 'imself in full flow with his famous saying back in 2007 just before his economic plans unravelled. and long before Brexit.:DGordon Brown's "British Jobs" speech 2007 - YouTube

Still , dont let a few facts get in the way of "thought " :unsure:

4 minutes ago, dj350z said:

When posters prefix replies with We always know it is always to deflect from the truth!!!!       I don't care what Gordon Brown said, this is what I am referring to:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/sep/08/british-jobs-workers-fascist-government-brexit-plan

100% to do with Brexit. 

Oh dear, completely shot down there then EI!!!   :D:D

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, TesarRacing said:

WHENEVER possible ... what's wrong with that? 

5 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

WHENEVER possible ... what's wrong with that? 

It was WHEREVER possible, but I am glad you agree that is was something to do with Brexit. Perhaps you can let EI know!! I am sure he will listen to you!  :D  :D

• Haha 2

Who gets to define “British” here and on what basis: birthplace, citizenship, residence, skin tone? Stripped of absolute meaning, it is clear that this slogan has no purpose but to serve as xenophobic signalling.

This idea that we don’t want foreigners here is further cemented by the government’s plan to use two- and three-year work visas for EU migrants. It sets up an ugly vision of Britain where the status of European migrants is entirely altered; they would be grudgingly installed guest workers, rather than welcome residents who live alongside us. This soulless, spreadsheet calculation fails to conceive that people don’t move across countries for jobs on a government-stamped, time-limited period. They move to live full lives: a tangled mesh of connections and commitments spanning work, friends, families, communities, schools, social activities and all the social attitudes, values and humour that until recently made Britain so appealing. Why would the migrants this country needs ever view the UK as a destination on such hostile fixed terms?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, dj350z said:

When posters prefix replies with We always know it is always to deflect from the truth!!!!       I don't care what Gordon Brown said, this is what I am referring to:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/sep/08/british-jobs-workers-fascist-government-brexit-plan

100% to do with Brexit. 

13 minutes ago, TesarRacing said:

No , not at all . The Guardian report about an alleged secret document , coming a year after the referendum result obviously did not affect the result of the referendum. If people choose to believe what they read in the Guardian that’s one thing but it was not around to influence the referendum campaign. Obviously one of the features of Brexit is to be able to be selective in immigration, picking those whose skills are needed but in the context of fruit pickers , which is context of the post concerned we have been needing th em and had arrangements for them since 1946 , and never has it been claimed that will change after Brexit . 
 Blue panther covered this point a few pages back

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dj350z said:

Who gets to define “British” here and on what basis: birthplace, citizenship, residence, skin tone? Stripped of absolute meaning, it is clear that this slogan has no purpose but to serve as xenophobic signalling.

This idea that we don’t want foreigners here is further cemented by the government’s plan to use two- and three-year work visas for EU migrants. It sets up an ugly vision of Britain where the status of European migrants is entirely altered; they would be grudgingly installed guest workers, rather than welcome residents who live alongside us. This soulless, spreadsheet calculation fails to conceive that people don’t move across countries for jobs on a government-stamped, time-limited period. They move to live full lives: a tangled mesh of connections and commitments spanning work, friends, families, communities, schools, social activities and all the social attitudes, values and humour that until recently made Britain so appealing. Why would the migrants this country needs ever view the UK as a destination on such hostile fixed terms?

Cut and pasted from the Guardian ,  Where does it quote anyone saying British jobs for British workers in the referendum campaign?

3 hours ago, dj350z said:

The answer is actually simple out of those four. Citizenship.

If you have citizenship, you are British. None of the other three define it.

So I'm going "B". Final answer.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Grachan said:

The answer is actually simple out of those four. Citizenship.

If you have citizenship, you are British. None of the other three define it.

So I'm going "B". Final answer.

How would you define citizenship ? Is it strictly the legal definition ? What about those who fulfil the technically fulfill the  legal definition but don’t observe all the responsibilities that go with it ? Then we have the question of dual citizenship and where does that stand now Shamima Begum’s British citizenship has been removed ? 
I think we should be told .......:blush:

Just now, E I Addio said:

How would you define citizenship ? Is it strictly the legal definition ? What about those who fulfil the technically fulfill the  legal definition but don’t observe all the responsibilities that go with it ? Then we have the question of dual citizenship and where does that stand now Shamima Begum’s British citizenship has been removed ? 
I think we should be told .......:blush:

If you hold full British Citizenship and are entitled to a full British passport then you are a British citizen - end of story. Doesn't matter whether you're a dual national, observe the responsibilities, or even if you're a convicted criminal.

You may argue whether the other categories of British citizenship - British Overseas Territories Citizens (now somewhat moot), British Overseas Citizens, British Nationals (Overseas), British Subjects and British Protected Persons - are 'British' in the sense that Little Englanders would define, but most of the population would be unaware of those. 

There are reasons why civilised countries have signed-up to international agreements to ensure everyone holds a citizenship, not least so that appropriate laws can be applied to them. I'm sure Robbie could tell you that, although he doesn't seem to know much about Greenland.... 

• Like 1

See the French have fast tracked citizenship for foreign front line workers during the Covid pandemic. Got to raise your hats to them.

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, iris123 said:

See the French have fast tracked citizenship for foreign front line workers during the Covid pandemic. Got to raise your hats to them.

Whilst the British make it ever more difficult for people to obtain British citizenship... 

• Like 2