British Speedway Forum
The White Knight

European Union - In Or Out?

9 minutes ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

Whilst the British make it ever more difficult for people to obtain British citizenship... 

Yes. I seem to remember the Gurkha's having trouble. Whereas I think I am right in saying any foreigner who served with the French foreign legion can get citizenship automatically

4 hours ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

If you hold full British Citizenship and are entitled to a full British passport then you are a British citizen - end of story. Doesn't matter whether you're a dual national, observe the responsibilities, or even if you're a convicted criminal.

You may argue whether the other categories of British citizenship - British Overseas Territories Citizens (now somewhat moot), British Overseas Citizens, British Nationals (Overseas), British Subjects and British Protected Persons - are 'British' in the sense that Little Englanders would define, but most of the population would be unaware of those. 

There are reasons why civilised countries have signed-up to international agreements to ensure everyone holds a citizenship, not least so that appropriate laws can be applied to them. I'm sure Robbie could tell you that, although he doesn't seem to know much about Greenland.... 

Didn’t even read the post Humph. I was being ,  mischievous, pulling Grachans leg. Only you would take it seriously.

Edited by E I Addio
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, E I Addio said:

Cut and pasted from the Guardian ,  Where does it quote anyone saying British jobs for British workers in the referendum campaign?

I know it is cut and paste, someone said they couldn’t read it due to the paywall. Go back to my original link to the article and you will see the title is British jobs for British workers!!

37 minutes ago, dj350z said:

I know it is cut and paste, someone said they couldn’t read it due to the paywall. Go back to my original link to the article and you will see the title is British jobs for British workers!!

Yes , I know that’s what the headline says, but that’s not what the supposedly leaked document was saying. If you go back on the link to the previous article of the 5th Sept 2017, which publishes the full supposedly “leaked “document you will see that the dociment itself doesn’t say anything about British job# for British workers , in fact in some ways it says just the opposite.

It says, for example  ( and I quote) :

1.” After the UK leaves the EU free movement would end but migration between the UK  and EU would comtinue”

2.”Migration benefits the UK economically , culturally and socially”

3.”We will remain a hub for international talent, which attracts talent from across the world.Our departure from the EU must be seen in that context”

4.”Although net migration has fallen over the last year, we cannot exercise control over it at present as free move emend gives EU citizens the right to reside in the UK regardless of economic circumstances”

5. “ In this context , we will want to ensure that the EU provides for similar arrangements for UK nationals travelling to member states after our departure.” 

Quite honestly, what is there to disagree with in any of that ? It’s all about matching immigration to labour requirements. The British jobs for British workers is just a headline dreamed up to misrepresent the whole thing to excite the Liberal Lefties at Auntie BBC. 

Notice especially that it’s also about making reciprocal arrangements for UK citizens working abroad.

Moral of the story : Don’t believe all you read in the press, especially the Guardian. There’s probably more chance of Wolfsbane or Blupanther winning Love Island than that rag reporting anything accurately:rolleyes:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, E I Addio said:

Notice especially that it’s also about making reciprocal arrangements for UK citizens working abroad.

So what arrangements has the UK government made for British citizens working abroad then? As in British citizens that hold British passports. 

8 hours ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

So what arrangements has the UK government made for British citizens working abroad then? As in British citizens that hold British passports. 

No doubt all will be revealed when details of the agreement , or more precisely the new Treaty are known. I I can tell you at the moment is that my daughter has basically filled in a few forms and carries on as normal as the Czech Republic are desperate for English teachers with an English accent.

9 hours ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

Well, we’re still deporting to Australia.  :D

• Haha 1

Almost time to activate The Cash.

10095.jpg

On 12/23/2020 at 8:18 AM, dj350z said:

I thought we were told we wouldn't need migrant workers. All these migrants coming over and taking jobs from the 'Brits'!    British jobs for British workers and all that..........

That discussion has been aired on several occasions, and there was even a TV documentary about it some time ago.  Brits don't want to work in the fields and have proved to be useless at it which was what the TV programme was about. Foreign fruit and produce pickers acquire an incredible picking skill, picking about 80% of the pickable crop. Brits on the other hand could only muster about 25%, and most wanted to be off the job because of that, and the conditions that they have to endure. Foreign workers are only here for the picking season, so not a drain on our economy, unlike EU immigrants 

There will always be a need to to bring extra expertise to this country and long may that be so.  

Edited by Tsunami
  • Like 4

On 12/23/2020 at 10:05 AM, DC2 said:

Presumably Tsunami is checking your figures?

.......  we might be some time!   :D

One thing for sure is that any figures you produce, or conjure with, is usually seriously under suspicion. It's not me that has the reputation on here for lying and reference avoiding is it, as several other posters have had the same experience with you for the whole of the COVID period. Never trust a DC2 :D

Edited by Tsunami

2 hours ago, E I Addio said:

No doubt all will be revealed when details of the agreement , or more precisely the new Treaty are known. I I can tell you at the moment is that my daughter has basically filled in a few forms and carries on as normal as the Czech Republic are desperate for English teachers with an English accent.

To clarify, I’ve just asked my daughter what she has had to do to get continued employment in the Czech Republic. Basically it means giving proof of residency , proof of employment , proof of health insurance ( which her employers pay anyway) and basically proving she is a responsible citizen able to support herself ,  which frankly I think are tests any responsible government would apply , but under FOM they can’t stop anyone simply turning up. 
So it seems the idea that Brexit will take away the so- called right to work abroad is another falsehood that has been perpetrated on the BSF ;)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wolfsbane said:

Almost time to activate The Cash.

10095.jpg

I'm looking forwards to watching the mental gymnastics of Brexiteer MPs as they try to justify why they are voting for the new treaty.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, E I Addio said:

To clarify, I’ve just asked my daughter what she has had to do to get continued employment in the Czech Republic. Basically it means giving proof of residency , proof of employment , proof of health insurance ( which her employers pay anyway) and basically proving she is a responsible citizen able to support herself ,  which frankly I think are tests any responsible government would apply , but under FOM they can’t stop anyone simply turning up. 
So it seems the idea that Brexit will take away the so- called right to work abroad is another falsehood that has been perpetrated on the BSF ;)

You can't stop people turning, but under EU rules you can deport them if they don't have the means to support themselves or are not working after six month. The Government simply chose not to.

• Like 1

Just now, MattK said:

You can't stop people turning, but under EU rules you can deport them if they don't have the means to support themselves or are not working after six month. The Government simply chose not to.

Yep , have them here for six months then try to find them ( because you don’t know where they live) deport them at taxpayers expense , then have them turn round and come straight back again. What a lot of sense that makes.

Looking forward to the preprepared response of Sir H on the new deal. He has constantly dissed the need for the UK fishing industry, which accounts for only 0.02% of our economy according to the figure quoted on here previously. He would have given it away and wondered why people would make such a fuss over an almost non contributor yesterday industry. 

Well he is going to have make his mind up now, as the news is that a deal has been completed, and the clincher was the allowance of French fishermen to continue to fish our UK waters at a much reduced capacity. So now he will be mocking the insistence  of preserving the rights of our Sovereign after giving some rights back to the French.

Suddenly the conceding of some fishing rights ,will be the biggest and worst decision since the Leave vote(allegedly)

Bring it on :P