British Speedway Forum
The White Knight

European Union - In Or Out?

14 minutes ago, Pieman72 said:

When it comes to lunacy by the dreadful insults and aggression you have targeted on me you are ticking all the boxes. There is no need for this level of vitriol Ken Clarke was an excellent MP.

BUT he wasn't an industrialist. Much as I disagreed with him on Brexit, respected his unwavering stance but eventually, like Hammond, Soubry and a few others he became a bit of a dinosaur... or dragon in Soubry's case.

9 minutes ago, therefused said:

Not sure how brexit has helped that whatsoever but go on...

Weren’t we told that no one would invest in the UK?  And all of our businesses would go bust?  :rolleyes:

It is good news. Hard to make much of a dent in the market. Depends on where they are aiming. But of course Royal Enfield has been Indian owned for a few decades and hardly a household name, although I see they have grown 88% last year. But it doesn't give actual numbers, so could be a few hundred more....

Triumph have established themselves since their resurrection, so maybe one or two others can. But it seems the market is shrinking

https://www.statista.com/outlook/2100000/102/motorcycles/

20 minutes ago, iris123 said:

It is good news. Hard to make much of a dent in the market. Depends on where they are aiming. But of course Royal Enfield has been Indian owned for a few decades and hardly a household name, although I see they have grown 88% last year. But it doesn't give actual numbers, so could be a few hundred more....

Triumph have established themselves since their resurrection, so maybe one or two others can. But it seems the market is shrinking

As far as I know Royal Enfield motor cycles are not only Indian Owned but manufactured there as well

• Like 4

1 minute ago, wealdstone said:

As far as I know Royal Enfield motor cycles are not only Indian Owned but manufactured there as well

That is what I understand as well

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, wealdstone said:

4 minutes ago, iris123 said:

That is what I understand as well

Quite ironic really, an iconic British brand that sold thousands of motorcyles to India is bought up by an Indian company and exports the bikes back to the UK!!!

"British-bred Royal Enfield is expanding aggressively as it aims to tap into the world's biggest motorbike-buying market in Asia.

One of the world's oldest bike brands still in operation, it has been owned by India's Eicher Group since 1994 and recently announced plans to open a new factory in Thailand.

The new plant is expected to be in operation within the next year and will be the firm's biggest factory outside of India.

Sales for Royal Enfield, which only makes motorbikes in the mid-segment market (250-750cc class), have grown 88% across the region in the last year.

While these historic brands may have been struggling since their heyday in the 1950s and 60s, they are far from dead and buried, even if they may not be entirely British-owned anymore."

Edited by dj350z
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, dj350z said:

Quite ironic really, an iconic British brand that sold thousands of motorcyles to India is bought up by an Indian company and exports the bikes back to the UK!!!

"British-bred Royal Enfield is expanding aggressively as it aims to tap into the world's biggest motorbike-buying market in Asia.

One of the world's oldest bike brands still in operation, it has been owned by India's Eicher Group since 1994 and recently announced plans to open a new factory in Thailand.

The new plant is expected to be in operation within the next year and will be the firm's biggest factory outside of India.

Sales for Royal Enfield, which only makes motorbikes in the mid-segment market (250-750cc class), have grown 88% across the region in the last year.

While these historic brands may have been struggling since their heyday in the 1950s and 60s, they are far from dead and buried, even if they may not be entirely British-owned anymore."

We have a Royal Enfield dealership just up the road from us

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, dj350z said:

Ah, but you haven’t quoted the bit about a new factory being opened in Birmingham for BSAs!

44 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Royal Enfield is a growing brand and the new Meteor 350 coming out sales will have increased from about 3,500 in 2018 to about 20,000 in 2021 in Europe. They are planning to build the 10,000 Meteor’s a month and took 24,000 deposits in November for this bike alone but I would expect most of them were bought in Asia.

In the last couple of years they have opened a Development Centre in England.

Triumph are doing really well but have moved nearly all of the production to Thailand apart from the special editions which are still made in the UK.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Tim G said:

Royal Enfield is a growing brand and the new Meteor 350 coming out sales will have increased from about 3,500 in 2018 to about 20,000 in 2021 in Europe. They are planning to build the 10,000 Meteor’s a month and took 24,000 deposits in November for this bike alone but I would expect most of them were bought in Asia.

In the last couple of years they have opened a Development Centre in England.

Triumph are doing really well but have moved nearly all of the production to Thailand apart from the special editions which are still made in the UK.

Thanks for that

I knew Royal Enfield was built in India, but wasn't sure there was any new development work done, rather than re-doing old models for a cheap market

Also didn't know Triumph had moved production out of the country. I know they had one or two failed revivals and then a further take over which proved successful. The new version whenever it was of the Thunderbird for instance. And I actually saw a few modern Triumphs being ridden, which was good, being a former owner of a 1960's Thunderbird

Edited by iris123
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, DC2 said:

Ah, but you haven’t quoted the bit about a new factory being opened in Birmingham for BSAs!

Ah, but that would be because I was responding to Wealdstone's comment "As far as I know Royal Enfield motor cycles are not only Indian Owned but manufactured there as well". he didn't mention BSA. Have a look through the posts and you will understand what is going on!! :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 1