British Speedway Forum
The White Knight

European Union - In Or Out?

57 minutes ago, SPEEDY69 said:

The government do not routinely give out commodity codes to businesses as they should declare their goods under the code given in the tariff - have you asked for a ruling because you're not sure what code to declare?

We have been ringing  DEFRA every day for two months, but there has been no code allocated to cover it. They suggested a code we could enter, but that would involve a veterinary inspection neat Dartford. We asked how that could be done on 4 billion maggots sealed in containers, they said it couldn't, so don't do that. Its a clown show...

8 minutes ago, YerRopes said:

Can't blame him either.. 

Rotten shellfish?

Fortunately we have an expert.

Apparently, Matt Hancock has put himself forward to “speak to the fishermen and talk codswallop”.  :D

35 minutes ago, YerRopes said:

Can't blame him either.. 

What did they expect?

I've been watching this Cornish fishing programme on the BBC, and what comes over is the incredible lack of looking at the big picture from the industry, as well as thinking it can live in some bygone era. 

The Cornish fishing industry seems to sell much of its product to the EU because a) the British population doesn't buy the types of fish they catch, and b) it doesn't eat as much fish as those countries they sell the fish to. Then they have the problem that they can't find enough locals to man the boats or work in processing the fish, so are reliant on unskilled EU labour to run the industry, which can no longer come to the UK. 

Then the fishermen wanted the harbour trust to improve the port facilities with EU money, only to then reject the proposal because they still wanted to park their cars next to their boats, before complaining about bringing in online auctioneers who'd be able to sell their products more widely to the... erm... EU.  

This is before we get into the beam trawlers draining the seas of every living thing, before throwing it back in dead and complaining about it. No doubt they'll next be wondering why there's no fish left in the sea. :rolleyes:

In the meantime, the City of London has lost an estimated 60 billion since 1 January alone, which is about 60 times more than the entire fishing industry makes in one year, plus the all lost trade in live bait exports due to Boris's foot dragging in signing the ridiculous trade deal. Yet this industry held the entire country to ransom. 

You couldn't make it up...! :D

Edited by Humphrey Appleby
  • Like 9

14 minutes ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

Brexiteers don't want funny foreigners living in the UK, but don't seem to think the same rules should apply to them. Truly comical...

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1383620/Spain-holidays-brexit-news-costa-del-sol-EU-rules-latest-travel-changes-Brussels-update/amp

I would have thought those that gave comments are remainers seeing as they're ex-pats. 

Edited by Vincent Blachshadow

10 hours ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

Maybe Shovvy wasn't too far off... :D

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/brexit-supermarket-food-shortages-covid-b1786175.html%3famp

All the local B&Qs are certainly getting short on wood and fixings.

Well we seem to be doing alright getting plenty of fruit and veg from Spain,i work for one of the big supermarkets.Spanish strawberries are lovely you have get down and get some.

Like i have said before re B&Q and many builders merchants this has all been going on since March being short of everything.This is down to the pandemic not Brexit,this is why the prices have gone up 10-20%(since about April).Incidentally i was in B&Q at the weekend and asked for some paint i wanted.The reply was we have had trouble getting hold of a lot of stuff since the pandemic started.

Just because you didn't agree with coming out of the EU you don't have to blame everything on this just to try and justify why you think we should have remained.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Vincent Blachshadow said:

I would have thought those that gave comments are remainers seeing as they're ex-pats. 

The first two interviewed definitely sound like they voted to leave judging from the way they are talking about it. The third guy says he voted to stay.

It is unbelievably stupid for people who live in Spain to vote for Brexit, but it seems that quite a lot of them did.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, tellboy said:

Just because you didn't agree with coming out of the EU you don't have to blame everything on this just to try and justify why you think we should have remained.

It's been done to death, and you'll never convince Brexiteers whatever you do. But I'm going to keep pointing out everything that becomes worse after all the promises of streets paved with gold.... 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

It's been done to death, and you'll never convince Brexiteers whatever you do. But I'm going to keep pointing out everything that becomes worse after all the promises of streets paved with gold.... 

But you just pointed out something that has become worse because of the pandemic and not Brexit.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

It's been done to death, and you'll never convince Brexiteers whatever you do ....

Thank God, in contrast, we have lots of open-minded Remoaners like you.  :D

As brexit has happened and we have to get on with it regardless of our opinion, I thought I would give update on how it affects me, a sole trader who sends up to 50 parcels a week to the EU.

With no time to thoroughly prepare, due to this inept government late “deal”, I had got myself as prepared as I could.

The first issue was a complete shutdown of Dover/Calais over the New Year. This caused disruption but the brexit issues were disguised due to France stopping freight going onto the continent due to COVID. 

But once this barrier was removed the brexit issues started to appear. We were told that as the U.K. was a third country, no vat to pay on postage to the EU. A parcel to Italy cost £17.20 inc vat before brexit. Today the same parcel costs £22.09 to send. With no vat.  

Before brexit, sending a parcel to Italy was the same as sending a parcel to Swindon. Nothing to it. Today we have add vat numbers, Eori numbers, sign 5 pages of customs invoices. Time consuming. OK it takes time, but the biggest issue is that we don’t really have a free trade deal with the eu. Because every parcel we send, has import duty at approx 20% plus fees. So  £1000 sale now ends up with an irate buyer who can’t receive their item until they have paid out up to €250 in import duties. Bad feedback and a lost future customer. Or a buyer who refuses to pay, and the item us sent back for a full refund.

This is just me. Think how it affects companies who deal with the eu on a daily basis. Their business just won’t survive dealing with our closest neighbours as they will source in any of the 26 other countries.

And as for the fishermen who are up the creek with no paddle? They voted for this 5hitshow. 

• Like 3