British Speedway Forum
The White Knight

European Union - In Or Out?

6 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

As brexit has happened and we have to get on with it regardless of our opinion, I thought I would give update on how it affects me, a sole trader who sends up to 50 parcels a week to the EU.

With no time to thoroughly prepare, due to this inept government late “deal”, I had got myself as prepared as I could.

The first issue was a complete shutdown of Dover/Calais over the New Year. This caused disruption but the brexit issues were disguised due to France stopping freight going onto the continent due to COVID. 

But once this barrier was removed the brexit issues started to appear. We were told that as the U.K. was a third country, no vat to pay on postage to the EU. A parcel to Italy cost £17.20 inc vat before brexit. Today the same parcel costs £22.09 to send. With no vat.  

Before brexit, sending a parcel to Italy was the same as sending a parcel to Swindon. Nothing to it. Today we have add vat numbers, Eori numbers, sign 5 pages of customs invoices. Time consuming. OK it takes time, but the biggest issue is that we don’t really have a free trade deal with the eu. Because every parcel we send, has import duty at approx 20% plus fees. So  £1000 sale now ends up with an irate buyer who can’t receive their item until they have paid out up to €250 in import duties. Bad feedback and a lost future customer. Or a buyer who refuses to pay, and the item us sent back for a full refund.

This is just me. Think how it affects companies who deal with the eu on a daily basis. Their business just won’t survive dealing with our closest neighbours as they will source in any of the 26 other countries.

And as for the fishermen who are up the creek with no paddle? They voted for this 5hitshow. 

Any room left in your freezer ?

Just now, Blupanther said:

Any room left in your freezer ?

Nope. Still keeping it well stocked up. The full effects of brexit are yet to hit the shops. 

On 1/12/2021 at 5:34 PM, Blupanther said:

Has Shovlar been delivering his car boot paintings i wonder...

Sorry I don’t deal in bottom end car boot art. My market is affordable art, ranging from a couple of hundred up to £5,000-10,000. I sell approx 40-50 paintings a week on average, though due to lockdown I am closer to 30 parcels to the continent at the moment. Here’s a taste of my recent stock. The buyer of the river landscape paid no import duty as it was before brexit. Unfortunately the buyer of the portrait had to pay import duties and fees. Unhappy about that is an understatement. At least she is delighted with the painting.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/djlfhgu5l3y7nov/D40075B7-BFDA-4617-859F-894975A33B0A.JPG?dl=0

Although we have only just left the eu, it’s already becoming very clear that there are no tangible benefits whatsoever. Higher prices, less opportunities, and a ton of red tape. Yet the brexit voters on here still won’t admit they were fooled and the only people to really benefit are the Uber rich who won’t have to pay huge tax on their stacks of offshore cash. Which was more or less the whole purpose of this brexit exercise dressed up as sovereignty.

2 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Sorry I don’t deal in bottom end car boot art. My market is affordable art, ranging from a couple of hundred up to £5,000-10,000. I sell approx 40-50 paintings a week on average, though due to lockdown I am closer to 30 parcels to the continent at the moment. Here’s a taste of my recent stock. The buyer of the river landscape paid no import duty as it was before brexit. Unfortunately the buyer of the portrait had to pay import duties and fees. Unhappy about that is an understatement. At least she is delighted with the painting.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/djlfhgu5l3y7nov/D40075B7-BFDA-4617-859F-894975A33B0A.JPG?dl=0

Although we have only just left the eu, it’s already becoming very clear that there are no tangible benefits whatsoever. Higher prices, less opportunities, and a ton of red tape. Yet the brexit voters on here still won’t admit they were fooled and the only people to really benefit are the Uber rich who won’t have to pay huge tax on their stacks of offshore cash. Which was more or less the whole purpose of this brexit exercise dressed up as sovereignty.

‘Twas a joke Steve, I wish you well in your ventures...

1 minute ago, Blupanther said:

‘Twas a joke Steve, I wish you well in your ventures...

Yeah, but not as “well” as he did before Brexit: Steve wouldn’t forgive himself if he were more successful now!  :D

Imagine that!

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, DC2 said:

Yeah, but not as “well” as he did before Brexit: Steve wouldn’t forgive himself if he were more successful now!  :D

Imagine that!

There’s little doubt the opportunities to do very well have decreased. Guess we will know soon enough.

6 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

There’s little doubt the opportunities to do very well have decreased. Guess we will know soon enough.

VOTING to Leave wasn't all about trade with EU countries. Regaining sovereignty was paramount and that has been achieved. There was always going to be some complexities with trade early doors but they will dissipate in time. The pros still outweigh the cons. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

32 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

How about putting a link to your catalogue on here as I'm interested in the sort of artworks you describe (to hang on my walls - having recently moved to a bigger property I have a couple of walls available, definitely not to sell on). You never know, others on here might buy and it'll save you a quid or two on postage.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

VOTING to Leave wasn't all about trade with EU countries. Regaining sovereignty was paramount and that has been achieved. There was always going to be some complexities with trade early doors but they will dissipate in time. The pros still outweigh the cons. 

We already had sovereignty. Without it we wouldn't have been able to have a vote to leave and an act of parliament being passed to allow it.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Vincent Blachshadow said:

How about putting a link to your catalogue on here as I'm interested in the sort of artworks you describe (to hang on my walls - having recently moved to a bigger property I have a couple of walls available, definitely not to sell on). You never know, others on here might buy and it'll save you a quid or two on postage.

Blimey, Brexit is opening up all sorts of opportunities for Steve!  :D

1 hour ago, PHILIPRISING said:

And how much sovereignty do you think you've actually gained, especially personally? How has it materially changed your life, other than making it harder to buy stuff in supermarkets and DIY outlets, and being unable to go out to the pub because Boris says so (even though he's allowed to cycle to the Olympic Park)?

The UK is still bound by numerous international treaties that it's signed with various countries, not to mention now the EU, over the years. And that's absolutely the way it should be because countries need to be cooperating in the numerous things that transcend national boundaries. You seem to think you can pull up the drawbridge and isolate yourselves from all the world's problems, but all that'll happen is that other countries will ensure they wash up on your shores. Sovereignty is nothing but a nationalist illusion propagated by those who don't want to pay their fair share of taxes. :rolleyes:

I also don't recall "There was always going to be some complexities with trade early doors but they will dissipate in time" being on the side of the bus either. All I heard was the promise of sunny uplands... :rofl:

Edited by Humphrey Appleby
  • Like 4

16 minutes ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

And how much sovereignty do you think you've actually gained, especially personally? How has it materially changed your life, other than making it harder to buy stuff in supermarkets and DIY outlets, and being unable to go out to the pub because Boris says so (even though he's allowed to cycle to the Olympic Park)?

The UK is still bound by numerous international treaties that it's signed with various countries, not to mention now the EU, over the years. And that's absolutely the way it should be because countries need to be cooperating in the numerous things that transcend national boundaries. You seem to think you can pull up the drawbridge and isolate yourselves from all the world's problems, but all that'll happen is that other countries will ensure they wash up on your shores. Sovereignty is nothing but a nationalist illusion propagated by those who don't want to pay their fair share of taxes. :rolleyes:

I also don't recall "There was always going to be some complexities with trade early doors but they will dissipate in time" being on the side of the bus either. All I heard was the promise of sunny uplands... :rofl:

And all I heard was:

Immediate emergency budget, immediate recession, millions jobless... and that was just for voting to leave!

Oh I forgot, you reckon the above were true, but the timescale was wrong. So when do we get the emergency budget, recession (due to Brexit, not Covid) and millions jobless (due to Brexit not Covid)?

• Sad 1

37 minutes ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

YOU really are scrapping the barrel if you think closing the pubs has anything to do with Brexit. And, actually, there is no law against cycling for many, many miles as exercise. Visited supermarket this morning, no queues, no empty shelves. Fruit, veg, no shortages. and, has been pointed out on numerous occasions, DIY has massively uncreased with people staying or working at home because of Covid not Brexit. 

Edited by PHILIPRISING
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DC2 said:

Blimey, Brexit is opening up all sorts of opportunities for Steve!  :D

Makes perfect sense to me. Sell in UK and get rid of the excess paperwork and cut costs. All we need to know is where to find what he's selling.

• Like 1