British Speedway Forum
The White Knight

European Union - In Or Out?

4 minutes ago, Blupanther said:

They are safely tucked up in industrial freezers...:D

For something thats pretty irrelevent in his own eyes , he's getting pretty worked up about fish isnt he ? Seems he still hasnt been cured for his severe dose of Brexit Derangement Syndrome :approve:

• Like 2

Oops

Edited by DC2

30 minutes ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

Oor fish - apart from the other >=75% that aren't, and the rest are rotting on the quayside as they can't be sent to where they used to be sold.. :rolleyes:

LBC interviewed a Brixham fish exporter earlier today, he hasn't been unable to sell a single fish this year due to Brexit red tape. 

Prior to Brexit, Johnson visited.

This guy spoke with him, and claims he was lied to (surely not) and is intending to get the Govt to meet their original commitment. 

Needless to say, he's not a happy man. 

Finally, he spoke of someone who had £32K of shellfish destroyed by lack of access, the guy had written off the £32K but hadn't bargained for the additional costs of transport and incineration.. 

Everything's a shambles.. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Phlipphlopp said:

For something thats pretty irrelevent in his own eyes , he's getting pretty worked up about fish isnt he ? 

The importance of fishing is quite clearly fairly irrelevant in the context of the overall UK economy, but I could at least appreciate that it's a tough life that requires significant investment of capital with uncertain returns. This is course the reason why few want to go to sea anymore, and why trawler owners were happy sell their quotas and take money to scrap their boats.

After watching some of these BBC episodes though, it's clear that - with the odd exception - the UK fishing industry is not only its worst enemy, but actively intent on cutting its own throat. Any sympathy I might have had completely evaporated - seems to be just a parochial, small-minded industry that even out-contradicts the DUP in wanting its cake and eating it, whilst being far more interested in backstabbing than transitioning to modern practices. Yet it's somehow persuaded a minority of the public that the billions of pounds earned by other industries should be sacrificed for their own selfish ends. 

Frankly, the best thing that could be done is to pay to shut commercial fishing down and leave the fish to sea angling which is more sustainable. People don't actually need to eat fish nowadays - especially oceanic fish - and it would be far better if trawlers were no longer raping the seas. It was also pretty clear that fishing barely even contributes to the running costs of its own communities given that ports were having to diversify by attracting other business (to which of course the fishermen were objecting), so that argument goes out of window too. 

Edited by Humphrey Appleby

59 minutes ago, DC2 said:

“Were infections "rocketing" until lockdown? Boris Johnson, it says, dithered for nine days before locking down on 23 March and "during this time the number of infections had rocketed from an estimated 200,000 to 1.5 million". This, it says, meant Britain had one of the biggest Covid caseloads in Europe. The idea of the virus was surging until lockdown is a theory, popular at the time - but hard to reconcile with hospital numbers we now have. Covid deaths peaked on 8 April, which was 16 days after lockdown. We now know Covid's infection-to-death timescale is closer to four weeks than two weeks. This points to fatal infections peaking well before lockdown. So Covid cases were probably falling fast - not rocketing - in the runup to 23 March. Simon Wood, a professor at Edinburgh University, has looked at this. Other Europeancountries have used hospital numbers to estimate the trajectory of the virus and its R-number and have come to similar conclusions.”

That was from The Spectator in October, before we started seeing the huge weekly infection estimates from the ONS which suggest that infections before April might well have exceeded 4 million.

Wrong thread:rolleyes:

• Thanks 1

As soon as I see the Standard and the Independant being quoted I know I'm going to see some biased BS.

The French are now banning use of the quick covid test so any day now we will see pictures of queues at the ports and Brexit being blamed for something that would be the same whether in or out of the EU.

But I see Stena have switched one of their big new ferries to the direct route to Ireland as more want to go around the Brexit restrictions. Which is good news I guess

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Vince said:

The French are now banning use of the quick covid test so any day now we will see pictures of queues at the ports and Brexit being blamed for something that would be the same whether in or out of the EU.

According to Grant Shapps on LBC this morning, this has been falsely reported and only applies to passenger traffic.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Vince said:

As soon as I see the Standard and the Independant being quoted I know I'm going to see some biased BS.

Might see queues at the port, but that is because after stocking up, pre- Brexit, normal flows have to start again. Just ask a few hauliers about their problems. You’ll meet them on your rounds surely ?

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-55659006

Edited by iris123

3 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Might see queues at the port, but that is because after stocking up, pre- Brexit, normal flows have to start again. Just ask a few hauliers about their problems. You’ll meet them on your rounds surely ?

I work for one and they don't seem over concerned. There have been problems with the way the new system is being implemented but they expect everyone to settle into it pretty quickly. 

20 minutes ago, iris123 said:

That headline misses one important word out of the actual statement:-

"Last week was probably the most difficult week I've had in this job in 20 years," says Pete White, 

Reminds me of the line from a Hale & Pace sketch - 'Barnsley, probably the best football team in the Northern Hemisphere'.

Edited by Vincent Blachshadow

6 minutes ago, Vincent Blachshadow said:

That headline misses one important word out of the actual statement:-

"Last week was probably the most difficult week I've had in this job in 20 years," says Pete White, 

Reminds me of the Hale & Pace sketch - 'Barnsley, probably the best football club in the Northern Hemisphere'.

Surely the second line is the most important . he expects it to get worst