British Speedway Forum
The White Knight

European Union - In Or Out?

2 minutes ago, DC2 said:

How does the Sovereign Order Of Malta become SMOM?  

Because the official name is the Sovereign Military Order of Malta, and SMOM is a common abbreviation.

And I've even been to the SMOM building in Rome some years back...

It's one of the known extraterritorial enclaves of Europe if you're interested in such stuff, which clearly you're not. :rolleyes:

Edited by Humphrey Appleby

Looks like St John’s Ambulance should have diplomatic status:

The Sovereign Military Order of Malta has over 5,000 volunteers throughout the island of Ireland.  Its purposes include teaching first aid, providing ambulance cover at large events, medical aid, patient transport, and community and nursing services.

1 hour ago, DC2 said:

There you are.

You had plenty of time to google that.

Now google the ten indispensable EU products that we can’t get elsewhere.  :D

Go on.  And don’t just hide behind DOC.  

I would be very happy if you could source some 6061T6 aluminium alloy billets from the UK. We have stockists in the uk but they can’t get it now from Europe as the export costs mean it is no longer competitive. We have now run out of material for these high tech components for a motorsport customer and can no longer supply these parts so it looks like we have lost the business to Italy. Hope you can help?

Edited by dj350z
  • Like 7

11 minutes ago, dj350z said:

I would be very happy is you could source some 6061T6 aluminium alloy billets from the UK. We have stockists in the uk but they can’t get it now from Europe as the export costs mean it is no longer competitive. We have now run out of material for parts for a motorsport customer and can no longer supply these parts so it looks like we have lost the business to Italy. Hope you can help?

Could Somerset Brie be fashioned into the right shape?

Edited by Kester
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

57 minutes ago, dj350z said:

I would be very happy if you could source some 6061T6 aluminium alloy billets from the UK. We have stockists in the uk but they can’t get it now from Europe as the export costs mean it is no longer competitive. We have now run out of material for these high tech components for a motorsport customer and can no longer supply these parts so it looks like we have lost the business to Italy. Hope you can help?

Pretty sure you’ll get some from China or the US?

1 hour ago, dj350z said:

You can get these on Alibaba:

“6202 products — 6063 6061 alloy round billet aluminum bar 6061t6. US $1980-$3000/ Ton. 1 Ton(Min. Order).”

or these from the UK:

6061 Aluminium Alloy

Metalex are one of the leading Aluminium 6061T6-T651 Plate suppliers, uk based and carrying an extensive stock of Aluminium 6061T6-T651 Plate and providing professional Aluminium 6061T6-T651 Plate processing services.

Or these from China:

https://www.made-in-china.com/products-search/hot-china-products/Aluminum_Billet.html

Edited by DC2

3 hours ago, Badge said:

What are you saying? Will there be no eu products for sale in UK?

Hell can't do with no parmigiano or pasta, being half Italian it's a staple in my household :(

Which half ? Top or bottom.....do you often break out into song or start trampling the grapes in the supermarket ? :D

4 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Which half ? Top or bottom.....do you often break out into song or start trampling the grapes in the supermarket ? :D

Do you know I've never given it a thought,  hmmm top or bottom :unsure:

If you'd heard my singing you'd know opera isn't my thing, and had many a near miss in supermarket slipping on errant loose grapes, they are lethal honestly. 

2 hours ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

Allowing the EU to send ambassadors is frankly far more credible than receiving a SMOM one. 

I've no problem with an eu ambassador. Seeing as they keep telling us they represent the 27 member states , send the 27 ambassadors home. Not needed if the eu speaks with one voice. They can also replace France and Germany in the G5 G7 etc.

Edited by Phlipphlopp

Can someone tell Air Miles and the dodgy picture salesman that the eu is not just a 'free trading' bloc that the latter especially has been banging on about lately ?

Michel Barnier has struck a defiant tone in the row over whether EU ‘diplomats’ should receive full diplomatic status in the UK. Complaining that the EU is more like a federal state than an international organisation – and therefore should have ambassadors just like the US does – Barnier said:

“I know the spin, and sometimes more than the spin, of the UK authorities speaking about the EU like an international organisation, but we are not an international organisation”

Little does Barnier know, this is exactly how Brexiteers have been telling Remainers the EU sees itself for decades. Remainers liked to pretend it was more akin to a free trade bloc, Brexiteers called it out as a burgeoning federal state. Barnier finally agrees with the Brexiteers.

This can of course be settled very easily – if the EU is to decide it is in fact a federal state (instead of merely an entity in the process of becoming one) then there’s no reason why they shouldn’t have an ambassador. All they would need to do is stand down the ambassadors of their member states as there’s no need to double up. The US’s Texas and California don’t get their own ambassadors in the UK any more so why should the EU’s France or Germany? Independent states or Federal EU. Pick one or the other.

The UK signed the agreement that they should have Ambassador status. Just stick to things like grown ups are supposed to :rolleyes:

17 minutes ago, Phlipphlopp said:

This can of course be settled very easily – if the EU is to decide it is in fact a federal state (instead of merely an entity in the process of becoming one) then there’s no reason why they shouldn’t have an ambassador. All they would need to do is stand down the ambassadors of their member states as there’s no need to double up. The US’s Texas and California don’t get their own ambassadors in the UK any more so why should the EU’s France or Germany? Independent states or Federal EU. Pick one or the other.

It's been the case in history that constituent states of a federal entity had their own ambassadors. The Swiss cantons for sure, and I think some of the US states in the early days. 

It's already been pointed out that some non-countries are entitled to accredit full ambassadors. 

Just because something may be common practice today, doesn't mean it was always done what way and that there's no precedent for exceptions. Especially when other countries recognise EU ambassadors

As I said, petty and childish behaviour like we've come to expect from the current government.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, iris123 said:

The UK signed the agreement that they should have Ambassador status. Just stick to things like grown ups are supposed to :rolleyes:

As times change , so can agreements. The USA opted out of the Paris accord , and now opted in. In life and politics , things change.

1 hour ago, DC2 said:

You can get these on Alibaba:

I refer the honourable gentlemen to the post he made earlier about increasing British trade.

Is Alibaba British...? :rolleyes:

4 minutes ago, Phlipphlopp said:

As times change , so can agreements. The USA opted out of the Paris accord , and now opted in. In life and politics , things change.

I agree. But it.is a you scratch my back, I’ll scratch yours. And it does come across as petty politics at this point in time. Sure they will back down 

Edited by iris123