British Speedway Forum
The White Knight

European Union - In Or Out?

2 hours ago, E I Addio said:

No I dont think the EU politicians have deliberately gone out of their way to restrict vaccination, but I do think the last hand doesn’t know what the right hand is doing.  It’s what happens when organisations get too big.

I think few would suggest the European Commission attracts the greatest talent, nor is structured in the most efficient way. But that's no doubt a reflection of how limited its power really is, and the problem that countries simply don't take it seriously enough. Not sure though, how you think it's  'got too big' when there are barely more Commissioners than UK government ministers, and the number of Commission staff is a tenth of the size of the UK Civil Service, serving 6.5 times the population - unless of course you're saying the UK government is even worse. 

Frankly though, with the exception of Sunak, you could say exactly the same about the current UK Cabinet. It's collectively the biggest bunch of incompetent non-entities possibly in British history, and I wouldn't leave one of them to feed the Downing Street cat.

Even Tory supporters have hardly got a good thing to say about Boris, and that says it all really.. 

Edited by Humphrey Appleby
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

Even Tory supporters have hardly got a good thing to say about Boris, and that says it all really.. 

An 80 seat majority says otherwise. Even many Labour supporters preferred him over their own party. Seems Air Miles is spouting yet more nonsense :D

4 minutes ago, Phlipphlopp said:

An 80 seat majority says otherwise. Even many Labour supporters preferred him over their own party. Seems Air Miles is spouting yet more nonsense :D

Just reflects the ridiculous UK electoral system and says nothing.

The Tories got hardly any more votes than the previous time, and that was from xenophobic Labour supporters 'oop North' who believed Boris's nonsense. :rolleyes:

8 minutes ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

The Tories got hardly any more votes than the previous time, and that was from xenophobic Labour supporters 'oop North' who believed Boris's nonsense. :rolleyes:

Ah the race card. A new low, even for you.

Edited by Phlipphlopp

1 minute ago, Phlipphlopp said:

A the race card. A new low even for you.

Xenophobia is a different thing to racism, if you can be bothered to look it up... :rolleyes:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

Xenophobia is a different thing to racism, if you can be bothered to look it up... :rolleyes:

Means much the same in certain contexts. But we hear you , the north were xenophobes for voting for Boris. I'm sure they are over the moon that you know why they voted for him. B)
PS; https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/xenophobia-and-racism-difference

5 hours ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

I think few would suggest the European Commission attracts the greatest talent, nor is structured in the most efficient way. But that's no doubt a reflection of how limited its power really is, and the problem that countries simply don't take it seriously enough. Not sure though, how you think it's  'got too big' when there are barely more Commissioners than UK government ministers, and the number of Commission staff is a tenth of the size of the UK Civil Service, serving 6.5 times the population - unless of course you're saying the UK government is even worse.

I wouldn’t want to judge whether the government machine is better or worse but the Civil Service is hardly going to win prizes for efficiency. Proves my point. The Civil Service like most large organisations is packed with jobsworths whose left hand doesn’t know what the right hand is doing. 

• Like 1

MORE embarrassment for Macron and Merkel ... from the Mail on Sunday

Just one vaccine shot reduces the risk of being hospitalised by Covid-19 by more than 90 per cent, according to stunning new findings.Public health officials have told Ministers that the remarkable results apply for both the Pfizer and Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine, with the British jab proving slightly more effective. It represents another huge boost to Britain’s world-beating vaccine rollout, which has now achieved nearly 20 million first injections. The hugely successful inoculation programme is threatened only by the small minority who are still refusing to have the jab.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

There's an interesting discussion on the official motorsport channels I'm on, that accordingly to the Brexit withdrawal agreement, the UK is obliged to abide by EU regulations with respect to motor vehicles and therefore anything related to the Vnuk ruling. 

Of course, the latest proposed version of the updated EU directive excludes motorsport, so the UK government's announcement was nothing but ridiculous propaganda - as I said all along. Quite disingenuous and disgraceful. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Vince said:

As its a Guardian article I'm sure it will be acceptable to the remainers 

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/feb/28/i-hate-to-say-it-but-britains-doing-ok-even-germany-envies-us

Not really. It seems a very confused article thrown together as a filler.

Yes, the UK has done very well in the vaccination programme, but it did help that the vaccine was developed and manufactured in the UK, which really the UK government can't claim much credit for. And 122,000 deaths - the 5th highest in absolute numbers, and very close to being the highest per capita in the world (notwithstanding the undoubted falsification of figures in a number of countries) is hardly anything to be proud of. 

Everything else recently has been an economic disaster - not least in Northern Ireland where things are coming to a head. 

On electricity production, the (occasional) elimination of coal is impressive on the surface, but ignores that fact that the UK still generates nearly 50% of its power from gas which is a fossil fuel, and has increasingly imported electricity from France, Belgium and the Netherlands. And with the exception of France (nuclear), that's significantly generated from coal. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

Not really. It seems a very confused article thrown together as a filler.

Yes, the UK has done very well in the vaccination programme, but it did help that the vaccine was developed and manufactured in the UK, which really the UK government can't claim much credit for.

They can when they invested over £65 million into the project. Yet again , Air Miles is wide of the mark . Nail , hammer , miss. Again :D

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Phlipphlopp said:

They can when they invested over £65 million into the project. 

They didn't invent the vaccine - end of... 

Just now, Humphrey Appleby said:

They didn't invent the vaccine - end of... 

If you dont have investment , you have no vaccine. The expenditure to develop (or not) a vaccine is a very costly process. Its obvious you have no idea the scale of funding required for such a large undertaking. So just be thankful the UK govt took a leap of faith , which has come up trumps.

After the success of the vaccine, is it time to resurrect British Leyland?  :D

We can now see what we can do as a country.