British Speedway Forum
The White Knight

European Union - In Or Out?

10 minutes ago, DC2 said:

After the success of the vaccine, is it time to resurrect British Leyland?  :D

We can now see what we can do as a country.

Nothing wrong with British Leyland...our first family car was a Morris Marina 1.8 TC. :t:

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

They didn't invent the vaccine - end of... 

DISINGENUOUS... of course the Government didn't invent it. But their  financial backing of the scientists who so brilliantly came up with a vaccine was vital. 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

DISINGENUOUS... of course the Government didn't invent it. But their  financial backing of the scientists who so brilliantly came up with a vaccine was vital. 

And I thought Bill Gates pay rolled all the vaccines 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Nothing wrong with British Leyland...our first family car was a Morris Marina 1.8 TC. :t:

And Minis are - for now - still built in the UK.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

And Minis are - for now - still built in the UK.

On the site where my Grandad worked for many years...the old Pressed Steel Fisher works.

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, steve roberts said:

I had two minis. The old fashioned push rod engines which had their origins back in the 1940’s achieved approximately the same fuel consumption   as my wife’s state of the art ohc turbo charged Fiesta. Every job that needed doing on the Minis I could do myself with a socket set and a couple of screwdrivers . Now I look under the bonnet of the Fiesta and the pipe work is like a plumbers nightmare. Even what was a simple job on the Mini like changing the plugs is a major operation on the Fiesta. 

Thats progress for you .

• Like 1

That was when mini's were a much loved small car, now they may be called mini's but they are a medium size saloon car :(

1 minute ago, Badge said:

That was when mini's were a much loved small car, now they may be called mini's but they are a medium size saloon car :(

Probably because people are 50% fatter these days...:)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, Phlipphlopp said:

They can when they invested over £65 million into the project. Yet again , Air Miles is wide of the mark . Nail , hammer , miss. Again :D

The EU invested £300m upfront in the AstraZeneca vaccine. Does that mean they get to take four times as much credit as Britain?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, E I Addio said:

I had two minis. The old fashioned push rod engines which had their origins back in the 1940’s achieved approximately the same fuel consumption   as my wife’s state of the art ohc turbo charged Fiesta. Every job that needed doing on the Minis I could do myself with a socket set and a couple of screwdrivers . Now I look under the bonnet of the Fiesta and the pipe work is like a plumbers nightmare. Even what was a simple job on the Mini like changing the plugs is a major operation on the Fiesta. 

Thats progress for you .

I did a basic car maintenance course back in the late seventies with a view of carrying out light maintenance on the car...I wouldn't know where to start nowadays!

21 minutes ago, MattK said:

The EU invested £300m upfront in the AstraZeneca vaccine. Does that mean they get to take four times as much credit as Britain?

They should, paying all that money on a vaccine which the main leaders of the EU have happily bad mouthed since we started using it.

59 minutes ago, MattK said:

Yeah but they bought the last three-quarters, due for delivery in 2024.  :D

1 hour ago, MattK said:

Personally, I wouldn't put EU and vaccine in the same sentence if looking for credit.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, E I Addio said:

Thats progress for you .

Would imagine though, that modern engines produce 2-3 more times more power for a given capacity. 

1 hour ago, MattK said:

Only  £300 million?  Ursula Von Der Leyen said , on Twitter the EU invested “billions” . That woman is as useless on figures as Diane Abbott. No wonder calls for her resignation started almost as soon as she came into the job