British Speedway Forum
The White Knight

European Union - In Or Out?

22 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

BECAUSE the Government decided not to move forward with Dyson who, contrary to what HA suggests possess huge technical engineering prowess.

So with their huge engineering prowess, would you prefer to fly to Florida on an aircraft cobbled together by Dyson in a few weeks, rather than one made by Boeing or Airbus who have decades of experience? :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

No, tax relief isn't the expression I'm searching for.

As far as I'm aware, the definition of tax relief is legitimate expenses incurred in the performance of work, that are eligible to be deducted from taxable income. 

Dyson appears to have been asking for changes to the tax residency rules, specifically how many days someone can work in the UK before being liable to pay UK income taxes. I think most would consider that to be a 'tax break' - whether justified or not - although be my guest if you want to argue the toss over the meaning of that... :rolleyes:

Wrong again...........

Tax relief is any government program or policy initiative that is designed to reduce the amount of taxes paid by individuals or businesses. It may be a universal tax cut or a targeted program that benefits a specific group of taxpayers or bolsters a particular goal of the government

You still haven't given us the "actual evidence"  that Dyson received any inducements to be a Cheerleader for Brexit/

Edited by E I Addio

1 hour ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

So with their huge engineering prowess, would you prefer to fly to Florida on an aircraft cobbled together by Dyson in a few weeks, rather than one made by Boeing or Airbus who have decades of experience? :rolleyes:

Should someone tell Air Miles that ventilators dont fly ? Trying (and failing miserably) to equate the manufacture of aircraft with that of ventilators. We know that BDS has taken its toll on you , but your post is among many lately that are increasingly bizarre when losing a debate B)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Phlipphlopp said:

Should someone tell Air Miles that ventilators dont fly ? Trying (and failing miserably) to equate the manufacture of aircraft with that of ventilators. We know that BDS has taken its toll on you , but your post is among many lately that are increasingly bizarre when losing a debate B)

No more bizarre than you claiming that the collapse in agricultural and fisheries exports since 1 January 2021 is down to a 2-week 'drought' in April. :D

But jet turbines are a very similar concept to Dyson vacuum cleaners and hand driers, even though Dyson is certainly no Rolls Royce. F1 cars also use turbos and don't fly, yet they couldn't build suitable ventilators either, despite Philippe's claim of huge engineering prowess. :rolleyes:

• Haha 2

I see today Nestle are laying off 600 UK staff and moving their jobs to the continent as a direct consequence of brexit.

Seems like Johnson is now on very borrowed time. The knives are out and the cronyism, lies and deceit are closing in around him just as predicted. BritainTrump won’t see the summer out IMO. When cornered today at PMQs he went on a red faced rant, spewing out nationalistic claptrap to deflect, but he couldn’t answer a single question asked of him by Starmer.

The Daily Mail, one time brexit supporting rag, has now gone the other way, realising too late the damage Johnson’s government has heaped on us, it’s citizens. Clearly they now want him gone. Today had 6 pages filled with anti Johnson news.  The downside to this of course is Gove, who they will no doubt be pushing as the replacement. Gove is no doubt more intelligent but still no improvement. In fact I cannot think of a single cabinet minister who could do a decent job. This has to be the worst, corrupt government I have known in my lifetime. I think back to the days of Thatcher,  Major and even Blair, who I never liked at all, and can see how superior they were at every level compared to what we have today. 

As a middle of the road slightly right of centre voter, there is no party I can vote for. At this time I feel closer to Starmer. But while many voters in this country are lapping up three word slogans, kicking out Johnny Foriegner, and think the EU are our enemy, not much will change. Give it a couple of months and there will be another Johnson crisis with Carrie Antoinette not liking the wallpaper she chose. Let them eat Waitrose cake.

And before anyone says they are not interested in the decorated flat, it is important. The person reputed to have stumped up the £58,000, won government contracts worth £120 million. Cronyism at first hand.

Edited by Steve Shovlar
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Steve Shovlar said:

I see today Nestle are laying off 600 UK staff and moving their jobs to the continent as a direct consequence of brexit.

Nestle have been doing this for years(when we were in the EU).They are one big greedy company that have shut many factories in the UK to satisfy their own greed.They have moved to to places like Poland and Turkey where the wages are at a minimum.Remember they produce more than just Ice cream and chocolate.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, tellboy said:

Nestle have been doing this for years(when we were in the EU).They are one big greedy company that have shut many factories in the UK to satisfy their own greed.They have moved to to places like Poland and Turkey where the wages are at a minimum.Remember they produce more than just Ice cream and chocolate.

so you're saying they were doing it well BEFORE brexit 

(in case Shovlar chose not to read that bit)

Nestle are also investing nearly £30 million pounds in two other existing plants in Halifax and York.

So it doesn’t sound Brexit related just closing a plant for greed.

So are Nestle moving 600 jobs as a direct result of Brexit or not ? What did they say ?

18 minutes ago, stevehone said:

so you're saying they were doing it well BEFORE brexit 

(in case Shovlar chose not to read that bit)

Most certainly.

10 minutes ago, iris123 said:

So are Nestle moving 600 jobs as a direct result of Brexit or not ? What did they say ?

Having read the story on the BBC now i didn't see brexit mentioned at all,only that more production will now be done at the other UK factories.Although Nestle do just what they want anyway.

More spin from Shovlar possibly on blame it on Brexit at all cost.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Since the referendum they have had a sustainability drive to reduce the complexity of operations and to produce more from fewer factories. Three years ago they invested£350 miliion in their Buxton bottling plant making it one of the most modern in the world  . The plant at Fawdon is being closed , a £30  million investment in the other two factories was announced last October. 

Sounds like the same sort of investment / rationalisation programme that Honda have done which still got blamed on Brexit by some on here. 

• Haha 1

Just now, E I Addio said:

Since the referendum they have had a sustainability drive to reduce the complexity of operations and to produce more from fewer factories. Three years ago they invested£350 miliion in their Buxton bottling plant making it one of the most modern in the world  . The plant at Fawdon is being closed , a £30  million investment in the other two factories was announced last October. 

Sounds like the same sort of investment / rationalisation programme that Honda have done which still got blamed on Brexit by some on here. 

The internet is fast paced. We have moved on. Keep up old boy :D

1 minute ago, iris123 said:

The internet is fast paced. We have moved on. Keep up old boy :D

I am quite happy living in the age of the push rod engine and Routemaster buses thanks .  Knew where you were then without all this new fangled stuff.  Those were the days when you could have a little nap in the middle of Boycotts innings and not miss anything :D

• Like 1