British Speedway Forum
The White Knight

European Union - In Or Out?

2 minutes ago, E I Addio said:

I am quite happy living in the age of the push rod engine and Routemaster buses thanks .  Knew where you were then without all this new fangled stuff.  Those were the days when you could have a little nap in the middle of Boycotts innings and not miss anything :D

Oh yes Routemasters . PC gone mad, as Stewart Lee would say

• Like 2

Hundreds of car parts jobs are set to be axed after a firm announced it was pulling out of the UK.  Toyoda Gosei UK's plants at Gorseinon in Swansea and Rotherham in South Yorkshire employ 458 people. Andrew Denniff, from Rotherham and Barnsley Chamber of Commerce, said the firm was a "big player" in the town and its loss would have a huge impact on families, as well as the UK. "The impact of Brexit has now become an unpleasant reality," he added.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, dj350z said:

Hundreds of car parts jobs are set to be axed after a firm announced it was pulling out of the UK.  Toyoda Gosei UK's plants at Gorseinon in Swansea and Rotherham in South Yorkshire employ 458 people. Andrew Denniff, from Rotherham and Barnsley Chamber of Commerce, said the firm was a "big player" in the town and its loss would have a huge impact on families, as well as the UK. "The impact of Brexit has now become an unpleasant reality," he added.

Turkeys do vote for Christmas.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/26/2021 at 6:56 PM, Phlipphlopp said:

As the current drought suggests , thats pretty irrelevent. With the crap silage haul(both cuts) , and soon to be mirrored by the just as crap hay haul and corn harvest after that there wont be much left over to export. Its going to be a tough year for farmers #buybritish

On 4/28/2021 at 7:38 PM, Humphrey Appleby said:

No more bizarre than you claiming that the collapse in agricultural and fisheries exports since 1 January 2021 is down to a 2-week 'drought' in April. :D

What i said. What Air Miles thinks i said. BDS. :D

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Phlipphlopp said:

What i said. What Air Miles thinks i said. BDS. :D

To be fair, it was all yokel stuff about silage and hay and stuff us city folk can’t understand anyway. Enjoy the poaching season 

All so 18th century to me. I didn’t even realise hay still existed

Edited by iris123
  • Haha 4

Now being reported that house prices in Remain areas are up by 8% since the referendum and up by 14% in Leave areas on average. Leave areas had a lower starting point . We are told that house prices are a good guide to the underlying strength of the economy .

What happened the Remain campaigns claim that house prices would drop by 10% ?

Its seems like as with most other things there are winners and losers in Brexit , depending what side of the fence you are on.

13 minutes ago, E I Addio said:

Now being reported that house prices in Remain areas are up by 8% since the referendum and up by 14% in Leave areas on average. Leave areas had a lower starting point . We are told that house prices are a good guide to the underlying strength of the economy .

Its seems like as with most other things there are winners and losers in Brexit , depending what side of the fence you are on.

Keep up with what's happening in the country addio.

This sad government have deliberately inflated the property market with the stamp duty holiday and ridiculous help to buy schemes intended to get more and more people into debt and falsely inflated the property market to make Tory voters think they are better off. 

The reason for larger increases in lower value property areas is that cash laden people from out of the areas are buying up cheaper property for investment forcing the values even higher.

Example. Next village to me smallish developer building four bed detached houses that cannot be used as holiday home or holiday let flew off the shelf as soon as the changes to stamp duty announced. One guy in London saw the ads and immediately bought four houses at £380k a piece for cash. Couple of weeks later next release of same properties were then £430k, now they're at £450-475k.

A lot of people are rubbing their hands with the glee, but hardly anybody thinks of the young generation who have now got even further to reach to try and get their own property.

Every Tory should be ashamed of this government 

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, E I Addio said:

I was actually hoping they would. House prices are too high in this country. How are young people expected to buy a place for themselves with prices as they are?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Grachan said:

I was actually hoping they would. House prices are too high in this country. How are young people expected to buy a place for themselves with prices as they are?

Yet , somehow many are managing it . I don’t know whether it’s the  Bank of Mum and Dad , or an inheritance from Grandmas will.but it constantly amazes me the sort of houses some young people can afford , and on top of that still drive round in big cars.

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, jrs said:

Keep up with what's happening in the country addio.

This sad government have deliberately inflated the property market with the stamp duty holiday and ridiculous help to buy schemes intended to get more and more people into debt and falsely inflated the property market to make Tory voters think they are better off. 

The reason for larger increases in lower value property areas is that cash laden people from out of the areas are buying up cheaper property for investment forcing the values even higher.

Example. Next village to me smallish developer building four bed detached houses that cannot be used as holiday home or holiday let flew off the shelf as soon as the changes to stamp duty announced. One guy in London saw the ads and immediately bought four houses at £380k a piece for cash. Couple of weeks later next release of same properties were then £430k, now they're at £450-475k.

A lot of people are rubbing their hands with the glee, but hardly anybody thinks of the young generation who have now got even further to reach to try and get their own property.

Every Tory should be ashamed of this government 

I didn’t give that post any more than a cursory glance as is of course your usual usual left wing politically based diatribe .

The housing crisis , land grabbing , holiday homes and all the rest didn’t start with this Government. It’s been going on for donkeys years , including grabbing Green Belt. Apparently 37% of the  Conservative Party’s donations come from the Construction industry , and yesterday we saw the dreadful decision to protect builders that failed to fit proper cladding to flats and make the leaseholders pay for it, meaning their properties are worth almost nothing.  But you only have to go back to Prescotts time at the DoE to see the mess he created.  

However the point of my post was not to point out the rights and wrongs of a Capitalist system in a Capitalist World . I was merely pointing out that despite the prophesy of doom by the Remain side ( George Osborne if l remember correctly ) house prices have gone up not down. Good for some , not so good for others, great news for the taxman as more properties get pushed into the inheritance tax bracket..

Edited by E I Addio
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

What ? For the last 4 and a half years you've been on here telling everyone how insignificant the UK's fishing industry is. Now, it seems you've changed your mind and most concerned about it. I've seen some u-turns in my time , but yours is rather spectacular B)

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

So what’s the whole story? Norway has banned the U.K. from fishing in its waters. Norway is allowed to import its fish into the U.K. tariff free. This will not change this year, if ever. EU countries continue to fish Norwegian waters.

It won’t change because it doesn’t have to, as far as Norway is concerned. Brexit has always made us vulnerable underdogs with no cards to play with since brexit. Even brexit voters have to acknowledge this. 

Are the U.K. ever going to ban Norway from importing its cod to the U.K.? Not a chance. Every chippy would be stuffed. Or cod and chips starting at £15. As it is Norway (and Iceland) can name their price. I paid £19.60 for two regular cod and chips last week. Not a cheap meal.

20 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

I paid £19.60 for two regular cod and chips last week. Not a cheap meal.

Then i can only assume you're a mug. But then you're a pro eu fanatic so it fits :D

• Like 1