British Speedway Forum
The White Knight

European Union - In Or Out?

The UK economy is set to grow at its fastest pace since the Second World War, overtaking the US, according to Bank of England economist Andy Haldane.Low Covid infection rates and vaccinations are leading to a surge in consumer spending, he said. The unemployment rate is also lower than expected.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

The UK economy is set to grow at its fastest pace since the Second World War, overtaking the US, according to Bank of England economist Andy Haldane.Low Covid infection rates and vaccinations are leading to a surge in consumer spending, he said. The unemployment rate is also lower than expected.

Of course it will grow faster than any recent time. Because it is starting at such a low level due to covid. The economy will still be lower than it was 2 years ago. This is not as it seems. We already lag well behind EU countries and will slip further and further back as the months and years slip by. U.K. will never do better than when we were inside the EU. The economy is doing exactly what we were warned about before brexit but was passed off as project fear. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Grachan, you chose Switzerland but Switzerland is not in the EU and I have found very little in the way of exporting to my customers there. In respect to that country little has changed.

It was reported this morning, on 5live, that trading was down dramatically with all EU countries in the first 4 months of 2021, while trade was flat lining elsewhere. Clearly a brexit effect. And I should know being an exporter to the EU. It is impossible to trade to the EU with any confidence. Almost impossible to trade and retain a customer after a single transaction.

So surely, if you can export to a non-EU country without difficulty, then the red tape problem is surely down to the EU rather than the UK? I had assumed that it was the same with every country and the EU countries had merely joined that list now that we had left.

I know you are having problems with your business, Steve. That is the trouble with all the graphs and figures that get published and I alluded to that in my post that it is easy to find a graph or a chart to support whichever argument you want to put forward.

The main problem with us leaving the EU is the effect on businesses such as yours, which does get overlooked because someone, somewhere will be able to produce a graph to prove that everything is hunky dory.

The reason I was always against leaving the EU was because of the effect it would have on individuals rather than on the economy as a whole, which I'm sure will do just fine.

On 5/12/2021 at 8:31 PM, Steve Shovlar said:

My lucrative business which I have been years building up has been trashed.

Steve, you have my sympathy as no one should endure hard times. Brexit to one side, unfortunately you did gloat on here a few years ago how easy it was to make lots of money, moving away from Swindon etc etc. Unfortunately you need to look back and take some of your own advice, not ideal, but having done it once, you need to do it again. That's just what happens in life we have no control over politics you have to work with it.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Deano said:

Steve, you have my sympathy as no one should endure hard times. Brexit to one side, unfortunately you did gloat on here a few years ago how easy it was to make lots of money, moving away from Swindon etc etc. Unfortunately you need to look back and take some of your own advice, not ideal, but having done it once, you need to do it again. That's just what happens in life we have no control over politics you have to work with it.

Spot on.

How many times has Steve portrayed himself as a successful businessman with various different ventures?  :D

Elongated Musk.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Deano said:

Exactly so. I daresay most of us on here have at some stage in their careers had to change jobs due to redundancy or some other means beyond their control, some have done better, some have done worse but no one else comes on here continually either gloating of moaning about it. 

• Like 6

Guest compost
On 5/13/2021 at 11:10 AM, Humphrey Appleby said:

I tried to obtain two F-connector modules for a particular type of AV wall outlet, which now only seem to be available in the US. So I ordered them, they didn't arrive, and then I got a note to say they were unable to export them due to custom restrictions. The exact same modules used to be available in the UK, an F-connector is just a piece of metal and plastic carrying imperceptible current, so what on earth has the UK changed so these can no longer be imported.

Nothing to do with Britain or Brexit but an export ban by the US authorities for some reason  - see the bits I've hightlighted in your post (possibly a shortage in the States as there is a global shortage of electrical components due to covid). 

Light blue touch paper and stand well back......;)

11 hours ago, Deano said:

You don’t actually think I am sitting on my arse thinking “woe is me”, do you?

40 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

You don’t actually think I am sitting on my arse thinking “woe is me”, do you?

Who knows ? Many of us on here can remember your musings about 'ching ching ching' after sales. At your age surely being so succesful , you could retire in comfort ?

• Like 4

Brexit hit: City of London suffers £2.3 trillion derivatives loss in a single month

"the percentage of euro-based swaps carried out on venues hosted by British platforms has dropped from 40 per cent in July to just 10 per cent in March, pointing to Brexit as a culprit."

That is a spectacular fall in London's share of the trade. It was always though that Britain desperately needs the EU to offer us equivalence, however much of this business has been lost to the US, so we are fighting a losing battle on two fronts.

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, MattK said:

Brexit hit: City of London suffers £2.3 trillion derivatives loss in a single month

"the percentage of euro-based swaps carried out on venues hosted by British platforms has dropped from 40 per cent in July to just 10 per cent in March, pointing to Brexit as a culprit."

That is a spectacular fall in London's share of the trade. It was always though that Britain desperately needs the EU to offer us equivalence, however much of this business has been lost to the US, so we are fighting a losing battle on two fronts.

Good.

Let’s get rid of the shallow bankers and make them do something worthwhile.  :t:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DC2 said:

Good.

Let’s get rid of the shallow bankers and make them do something worthwhile.  :t:

They can become fishermen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4

Posted (edited)

Well you wouldn’t want to be a farmer !! They were celebrating less red tape, but now for the sake of a trade deal.....

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-57157094

Edited by iris123
  • Like 5

Looks like after brexit has wrecked fishing, it now moves on with this UKIP regime determined to decimate the farming industry. Johnson determined to give Aussies a completely free trade deal so they can swamp the U.K. with hormone injected beef. Seeing cows grazing in pastureland will be a thing of the past very soon. Instead, expect to see lots of Wimpey and Persimmon signs advertising new housing estates as agricultural land is sold off for housing.

With the regime advertising for advisers to find any benefits of brexit, as they can’t find it themselves, they rip the heart out of the U.K.

But I almost laugh. Just like the fishermen, farmers voted for brexit, as they were told their businesses would boom away from the red tape of the EU. There will certainly be a boom. The sound of their businesses being blown to smithereens.

How did farmers vote for brexit?

58% leave
31% remain
11% undecided

Another UK industry destroyed for the ideology of sovereignty and being fed lies. I am expecting a convoy of muck spreaders to be heading for Downing Street and Parliament Square in the not too distant future!

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Another UK industry destroyed for the ideology of sovereignty and being fed lies. I am expecting a convoy of muck spreaders to be heading for Downing Street and Parliament Square in the not too distant future!

You'd expect farmers to be a bit brighter than average too, so they can't really blame anyone else but themselves.

It is hilarious though, how the UK government is prepared to sacrifice productive industries for ones that contribute almost nothing to the economy for their ideological nonsense. Even funnier to see those who supported Brexit and 'trading with the world' coming out with the howls of outrage when they realise how this is actually going to stuff their industries. :rolleyes:

I must say though, Australian Wagu beef is very tasty... :approve:

• Like 2