British Speedway Forum
The White Knight

European Union - In Or Out?

27 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

How did farmers vote for brexit?

58% leave
31% remain
11% undecided

Tough for the 31%. I know a few locally.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, dj350z said:

Tough for the 31%. I know a few locally.

Tough for all farmers. Johnson has just shouted out on pmq’s that farmers should seize this opportunity. What opportunity is that? To go bust? 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Tough for all farmers. Johnson has just shouted out on pmq’s that farmers should seize this opportunity. What opportunity is that? To go bust? 

The bottom line is that most agricultural exports are always going to be going to your nearest neighbours, not shipped halfway around the world. The EU was by far the biggest market for farmers, and Australia almost non-existent, yet somehow BoJo thinks this is going to make up for the 25% of the market that's already vanished.

Whilst British farmers can no longer easily export the likes of meat and dairy products to their (former) biggest market, Australian farmers will be able to cherry pick the higher value beef and lamb market, farmed with practices that are banned in the UK. 

You couldn't make it up! :rolleyes:

• Like 4

Made me chuckle...:D

49 minutes ago, Blupanther said:

Made me chuckle...:D

That's nothing. I have just eaten a chlorinated chicken that has had the vaccination!! Will I be ok?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

26 minutes ago, dj350z said:

That's nothing. I have just eaten a chlorinated chicken that has had the vaccination!! Will I be ok?

Ten out of ten for that...:D

• Thanks 1

From a sheep farming friend today:

Good morning. I am angry, and I'm going to tell you why. It's topical, as it's about Australia, blowflies and sheep, and welfare standards.

In summer weather, blowflies - the green, shiny kind - lay eggs in the wool of sheep. The eggs hatch into maggots that, if unchecked, will eat into the skin and flesh of the sheep and ultimately kill it. It's a serious welfare issue. 

This week I've sprayed my sheep with an insecticide developed for the purpose to prevent flies laying eggs in the wool. The Australian approach to the prevention of fly-strike is very different. It's a process called Mulesing.

Mulesing involves cutting a flap of skin from either side of the back-end of the sheep while still under 12 months old, as the healed skin is less susceptible to fly strike. And it's done without anaesthesia. I'll stop there. You can image the pain this causes. If you want more details, Google 'Mulesing'. 

It's a process that's been done there for years, and astonishingly, persists - legally - despite pressure. 

I cannot understand why a UK government concerned with high livestock welfare standards can contemplate a trade agreement with a country that allows Mulesing. 

No photographs. You can guess what it looks like.

There are many reasons, imo, to oppose a trade agreement with Australia. Animal welfare must be high on that list.

• Like 3

Guest compost
41 minutes ago, dj350z said:

From a sheep farming friend today:

Good morning. I am angry, and I'm going to tell you why. It's topical, as it's about Australia, blowflies and sheep, and welfare standards.

In summer weather, blowflies - the green, shiny kind - lay eggs in the wool of sheep. The eggs hatch into maggots that, if unchecked, will eat into the skin and flesh of the sheep and ultimately kill it. It's a serious welfare issue. 

This week I've sprayed my sheep with an insecticide developed for the purpose to prevent flies laying eggs in the wool. The Australian approach to the prevention of fly-strike is very different. It's a process called Mulesing.

Mulesing involves cutting a flap of skin from either side of the back-end of the sheep while still under 12 months old, as the healed skin is less susceptible to fly strike. And it's done without anaesthesia. I'll stop there. You can image the pain this causes. If you want more details, Google 'Mulesing'. 

It's a process that's been done there for years, and astonishingly, persists - legally - despite pressure. 

I cannot understand why a UK government concerned with high livestock welfare standards can contemplate a trade agreement with a country that allows Mulesing. 

No photographs. You can guess what it looks like.

There are many reasons, imo, to oppose a trade agreement with Australia. Animal welfare must be high on that list.

Then again when the French farmers throw a temper tantrum they just burn lorry loads of lambs/sheep alive.

Best just to stick to paying more and buying British.

Whatever happned to the 'I'm backing Britain' campaign ?  Oh yes, the EU said 'Non'.

51 minutes ago, dj350z said:

Because this UK government doesn't actually care about livestock welfare or indeed maintaining existing food standards whatever it may claim.

For the same reason that it's trying to con the EU into accepting shellfish from Class B waters by reclassifying them as Class A. :rolleyes:

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, compost said:

Whatever happned to the 'I'm backing Britain' campaign ?  Oh yes, the EU said 'Non'.

No they didn't. That campaign fizzled out long before the EU existed, and indeed several years before the UK joined the EEC... 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

No they didn't. That campaign fizzled out long before the EU existed, and indeed several years before the UK joined the EEC... 

Are you sure?
The UK, Ireland and Denmark joined the EEC in 1973 didn’t they?  Well I bought a new Vauxhall car in 1975 and that was on the back of a buy British campaign.  I remember writing to a government minister (forget which one) telling him I was Buying British and hope my decision was the right one.

17 minutes ago, OveFundinFan said:

Are you sure?
The UK, Ireland and Denmark joined the EEC in 1973 didn’t they?  Well I bought a new Vauxhall car in 1975 and that was on the back of a buy British campaign.  I remember writing to a government minister (forget which one) telling him I was Buying British and hope my decision was the right one.

Different campaigns to "I'm backing Britain". 

https://www.economicshelp.org/blog/17684/uk-economy/buy-british-campaigns/

I certainly remember some campaigns to buy various British food products - in the 1980s and early 90s from memory - but I think they were industry rather than government initiatives.