British Speedway Forum
The White Knight

European Union - In Or Out?

41 minutes ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

The Brexiteers told us it would all be sunny uplands, that the 'EU needed the UK more than the UK needed the EU', and the UK would be 'trading with the world'. Now you're blaming the EU for the economy tanking, which is just an admission that the UK actually needed the EU more than EU needed the UK, and you're also admitting that it's going to take a while for GB plc to be succesful (sic). :rolleyes:

I think most Brexiteers knew full well that the EU would try every trick in the book (and some extras) to try to stop UK getting on and they've been proved correct. As for the second part, just wait until after Covid and the money in the EU needs sorting and allocating. You'll see some real 'we're all equal but we two are more equal than you other lot' in the EU then. 

Obviously it'll take a year or two for the UK to settle things but it'll happen. It's starting now though you'll never see it with you EU-tinted monocle.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

I wouldn't because I don't think the FTSE is a very relevant measure of the UK economy. The FTSE did fall after Brexit, but point me a post where I mentioned that. 

I'm not a student of historical BSF posts and have no wish to trawl back to confirm or deny. I find it very hard to believe though that you'd not use the FTSE if it suited your narrative, but if that's what you say then so be it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Crump99 said:

I'm not a student of historical BSF posts and have no wish to trawl back to confirm or deny. I find it very hard to believe though that you'd not use the FTSE if it suited your narrative, but if that's what you say then so be it.

That's what I'm saying. Funny part is you were the one quoting the FTSE back in 2016... :D

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

That's what I'm saying. Funny part is you were the one quoting the FTSE back in 2016... :D

Hilarious :rolleyes:

Can't see me on there but take your word for it. However, if the agreed terms were bad and economically Brexit Britain was tanking then so would the FTSE, irrespective of it's make up, and I think that you'd take a much keener interest in it.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Crump99 said:

Hilarious :rolleyes:

Can't see me on there but take your word for it. 

I've done the search for you - if you click on the link you'll find your postings. :D

Edited by Humphrey Appleby
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Britain is the worst-performing economy in the G7, and in the week that the prime minister hosts G7 leaders to launch his government's vision of Global Britain.

Will our illustrious PM be able to keep a straight face?!!

Edited by dj350z
  • Like 2

In a way, this proves the success of Brexit, because one of the main cases for Brexit was the madness of EU regulations. And one of their craziest regulations was that when flowers or vegetables were grown, they were picked and used. Now at last we’ve left the EU, so we’re free to make up our own rules, such as growing stuff and then leaving it to be eaten by maggots.

The extra problem for the daffodil industry, apparently, is that our new sensible rules state that farmers are allowed to bring in seasonal workers but only for “edible crops”. So the easy way round this, if we want the flowers picked, is we all have to start eating daffodils. 

The problem for daffodils is they haven’t managed to get the same PR as fish. People who had never given a thought to fish have spent much of the past year screaming: “The bloody Austrians are stealing our whitebait.”

So if the daffodil people could get the right campaign behind them, politicians would soon be yelling about the historic glory of our daffodils and the criminal neglect of seeing OUR daffodils unpicked. Then we’d have to send gunboats to attack the French and kidnap them to come and pick our daffodils, as is their historic duty.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Phlipphlopp said:

Air Miles and the eu are like the Japanese soldiers on Pacific islands after WW2 ended. Still trying to fight on dug in deep bunkers :D

Eurosceptics banged on for 48 years before off-shored investment bankers finally managed to con the public. But of course, the public and especially the industries that fell for Brexit are now realising the reality, whilst the G7 net is closing in on the shady Brexit backers. 

Ironic of course, that it's the US demanding action on corporation tax when most of the tax avoiders are offshored in British territories. :rolleyes:

Brexit will prove to be a pyrrhic victory, and once the current charlatans and liars are removed from government you'll quickly see a roll back. :D

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, MattK said:

I thought EU countries couldn't make their own deals while they were in the EU - at least that's what Brexit supporters claimed.

To me, the article reads as if those three countries are looking to make their own deals anyway regardless of restrictions, or why the highlighted bit in the part of the article I've reproduced below (my highlighting, not their's).

The German ambassador in London, Andreas Michaelis, called the UK earlier “an ideal partner” for a security and intelligence partnership with Germany, thereby downplaying the EU’s need to be part of any deal.

Edited by Vincent Blachshadow

1 hour ago, MattK said:

I thought EU countries couldn't make their own deals while they were in the EU - at least that's what Brexit supporters claimed.

The eu imposed, you recall, uk could not sign deals until uk had left.