Jump to content
British Speedway Forum
The White Knight

European Union - In Or Out?

Recommended Posts

13 minutes ago, Badge said:

Yes I understand that, don't expect Poland to leave EU,  I know when we had Brexit vote my Italian cousins were horrified,  mainly I feel they were a bit worried where the money was going to come from when we stopped contributing. 

No I do feel that Ms Merkel's been able to "control " Macron to a certain extent,  mind you with his hatred of Brexit and these threats over fishing permits and stopping fuel in retaliation,  perhaps even she can't stop him over this.

It was pure coincidence that you posted on Poland before I did. I heard something about the economy diving due to the confrontation and found this piece. But sometimes, on my mobile these sites take ages to load. So it wasn’t in any way a response to your post

It is a worrying time ahead without the steadying hand of Merkel there I think. No big fan of her nor her party, but even less of the alternatives , especially the guy who looks set to take over, from his time as Hamburg Mayor

They just don’t make politicians like they used to :( Probably just as well that we will be ruled by Gates and co. in the not too distant future :D

Edited by iris123
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, dj350z said:

From UK Steel:

London — The UK's Department of International Trade has published an intended preliminary decision to impose UK steel import safeguards and tariff rate quotas for three years from July 1 2021 on certain product categories, including hot-rolled sheets and strips, cold-rolled sheets and rebars, where imports have been "significant." Imports of other products deemed not to have been imported in significant quantities, or which are not produced in the UK or have not caused serious injury to domestic producers, including some metallic coated sheets, tin mill products and stainless bars, are to be freed from quotas.

 Yes, thats the one I was the one I was talking about .   These quotas were introduced by the EU when  the UK was still part of it and have now been extended for a further period of time , more or less in line with the EU quotas. If we were still in the EU you would still have the quotas. In fact the UK seems to have removed quotas from some products which the EU appears not to have done. Its not to do with Brexit, its do to with USA  trade which I cant be bothered to get my mind round.

 EU extends steel safeguards another three years - EUROMETAL

 ttps://www.spglobal.com/platts/en/market-insights/latest-news/metals/061121-eu-extends-steel-safeguards-another-three-years

EU extends steel safeguards another three years | S&P Global Platts (spglobal.com)

Edited by E I Addio
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
22 minutes ago, E I Addio said:

 Yes, thats the one I was the one I was talking about .   These quotas were introduced by the EU when  the UK was still part of it and have now been extended for a further period of time , more or less in line with the EU quotas. If we were still in the EU you would still have the quotas. In fact the UK seems to have removed quotas from some products which the EU appears not to have done. Its not to do with Brexit, its do to with USA  trade which I cant be bothered to get my mind round.

 EU extends steel safeguards another three years - EUROMETAL

 ttps://www.spglobal.com/platts/en/market-insights/latest-news/metals/061121-eu-extends-steel-safeguards-another-three-years

EU extends steel safeguards another three years | S&P Global Platts (spglobal.com)

I think you are getting confused with imports into the EU whereas I am referring to importation of steel from the EU to the UK. The article I posted clearly states tariff rate quotas from 1 July 2021 which definitely not in place previously and why we cannot obtain material. I have a letter from a supplier stating exactly that and urging companies to lobby their local MP. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, dj350z said:

I think you are getting confused with imports into the EU whereas I am referring to importation of steel from the EU to the UK. The article I posted clearly states tariff rate quotas from 1 July 2021 which definitely not in place previously and why we cannot obtain material. I have a letter from a supplier stating exactly that and urging companies to lobby their local MP. 

Ok , I get the point you are making. Forgive me for making a brief reply but it’s Friday night and I am completely knackered.

I think we are talking a little bit cross purposes .For several posts back we were talking about the things that caused The Brexit movement  to gain traction.There is a lot of evidence that it was mass immigration from Eastern Europe that caused the pendulum to start to swing in a big way, resulting in increasing loss of public trust in the Government ( Blair at the time then Brown then Cameron). This caused an element of protest vote in the referendum , and indeed against May then Corbin.

Once there was a referendum there would always be winners and losers whatever the result. What I was trying, perhaps not very eloquently, to say was that the bitterness and division between people was indicative of an underlying cultural problem that went beyond just Brexit. Moreover as I have said several times before it was a massive political failure. It is politicians jobs to resolve these issues, but they failed because they wouldn’t budge. 

What we now know is that Cameron was duplicitous when he went to see Merkel&. Co in zFebruary 2016 because he told the public he was negotiating a new deal but behind the scenes, as we now know but didn’t know then, he was, already trying to Marshall big business to support Remain. That doesn’t suggest he was putting his heart and soul into the re- negotiations. However the stumbling block was immigration, and more particularly numbers. We know that is a fact, not just a right wing construct because when he wrote to Donald Tusk in November 2015 he specifically mentioned immigration and the strain on public services. The EU acknowledged this, and that is why they offered the immigration brake , but that offer needed to be confirmed by all 27 states and as it’s now known Poland and Romania were never going to agree. 

So I Remain of the view that a bit of political will and a bit of movement on immigration would have tipped the narrow balance of the vote, especially as the polls show that in the last few days a lot of dont knows jumped into the Leave camp.

The point a was trying to make was nothing to do with your situation post referendum it was the background to the complete lack of trust over the years leading up to it and really why I haven’t had any trust in politicians and part of the reason why I haven’t voted  years.

I hope this makes a bit of sense, but, as I said I need to get the week out if my system before I can start thinking straight . I really do feel for your situation though. I know myself what redundancy feels like, and the uncertainty . If you weren’t so far away I’d love to have a state of the world chat in a pub, and there’s not that many on here I would say that to. I’m totally knackered now though, so maybe pick it up next week .::)

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post

The European Union could weigh terminating the post-Brexit trade deal if the U.K. government pulls out of its commitments over Northern Ireland, according to people familiar with the matter.

British Prime Minister Boris Johnson has threatened to unilaterally suspend parts of the Northern Ireland Protocol, which governs trade between the province and the rest of the U.K., using the powers granted in Article 16 of the pact. European officials have been discussing the need to prepare a powerful response
 

Shutting down the trade accord sealed on Christmas Eve last year would play havoc with a British economy already plagued by supply shortages, and would also impose costs on European businesses with clients in the U.K.

The pound fell as much as 0.4% to $1.3736 after the report. U.K. government bonds hit a session high, with the yield on 10-year gilts falling six basis points to 1.15%.

The decision would require the unanimous backing of all 27 EU governments and would lead to a cooling off period before tariffs, quotas and other barriers to trade between Britain and the EU kicked in. The EU could terminate the whole deal or target specific industries. 

“For a long time we’ve been asked about Article 16 and if it was important for the pound. The answer had been ‘No’ as it was mostly political posturing and noise,” said Jordan Rochester, a currency strategist at Nomura. “But threatening to rip up the trade deal is an escalation of rhetoric and sterling should be lower as a result.”

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post

Empty  shelves 

Raw Šhit being pumped into the rivers snd seas

highest Covid death rate in Europe 

lack of lorry drivers , vets , slaughterhouse workers, care workers , nurses, bus drivers, vegetable pickers, doctors, etc….

Honestly it’s just beyond parody to even list everything. 
 

sunlit uplands and sovereignty 

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post

More....................

A weak pound.

£2,250,000,000,000 debt.

The likely hood of 5% inflation and a significant rise in interest rates.

The lowest percentage of home ownership in years.

A collapse in social care, primary health provision, and an underfunded NHS.

The breakup of the United Kingdom.

For the majority in the UK this is a disaster unless your very rich or have a gold plated pension.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
16 minutes ago, Jonny the spud said:

Lack of lorry drivers , vets , slaughterhouse workers, care workers , nurses, bus drivers, vegetable pickers, doctors, etc….

Well, what's everyone doing,,, sitting around and expecting the world owes them a living? ;)

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
17 minutes ago, ruffdiamond said:

Well, what's everyone doing,,, sitting around and expecting the world owes them a living? ;)

And while they were sitting around they responded to all the pap and lies by voting for Brexit.....Sorry but an own goal of your making....many Brexiteers don't work or don't posses qualifications for some of the skilled occupations vacated by Europeans or are retired/disabled.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, Pieman72 said:

....many Brexiteers don't work or don't posses qualifications for some of the skilled ....

How many exactly? 

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, Deano said:

How many exactly? 

17,410,742  :D

Edited by dj350z
  • Haha 6

Share this post


Link to post
24 minutes ago, Deano said:

How many exactly? 

Well judging by the shortages in many many fields across the UK at the moment, quite a lot. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

So Sunak pledges an extra 6bn to the NHS. I make that 115m per week, so what happened to the other 235m? :rolleyes:

And we shall see if the Tories actually deliver on that.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
15 hours ago, Deano said:

How many exactly? 

I don't know what sort of answer is that? You and your cohorts thought Brexit would take Britain back to the glory days of the past when we did rule 2/3rds of the globe. Get real we are a declining nation that has significant structural, financial and domestic problems. Leaving the largest trading block in the world has left us vulnerable to significant poverty, investment and social problems that were shored up by the EU. Well done lads you've left us in a mess that will have a significant effect of our debt, GDP and ability to perform as a global trading nation. 

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, Pieman72 said:

I don't know what sort of answer is that? You and your cohorts thought Brexit would take Britain back to the glory days of the past when we did rule 2/3rds of the globe. Get real we are a declining nation that has significant structural, financial and domestic problems. Leaving the largest trading block in the world has left us vulnerable to significant poverty, investment and social problems that were shored up by the EU. Well done lads you've left us in a mess that will have a significant effect of our debt, GDP and ability to perform as a global trading nation. 

But those problems you quote were already there whilst we were in the EU. 
I didn’t realise poverty and social problems only started this year, thanks for pointing that out.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Privacy Policy