British Speedway Forum
The White Knight

European Union - In Or Out?

54 minutes ago, Pieman72 said:

Bigoted views have stopped us having the opportunity to move live and work in 23 countries

It was 33 countries. 

The 'improved employment opportunities' because of Brexit are very selective.

Brexit will severely limit the opportunities for skilled British people to work abroad (and remit money back to the UK), whilst making it difficult for British companies to attract the necessary skilled people to the UK. Meanwhile, the likes of the agriculture and hospitality sectors now cannot find sufficient workers because British people are largely not interested in doing that type of work, nor is the British public prepared to pay the costs that would be necessary to make those jobs attractive. All that will happen is that crops will rot in the field and people won't go out to restaurants as much. 

I don't object to low paid workers getting paid more, but productivity then has to meet demand otherwise you'll just see inflation go through the roof. UK inflation is now at its highest rate for 30 years - which was caused by external factors (i.e. the Kuwait invasion affecting oil prices) - whereas EU inflation is barely half of that. 

1 hour ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

I don't object to low paid workers getting paid more, but productivity then has to meet demand otherwise you'll just see inflation go through the roof. UK inflation is now at its highest rate for 30 years - which was caused by external factors (i.e. the Kuwait invasion affecting oil prices) - whereas EU inflation is barely half of that. 

So, lets see if we have got this right .  4.9% is barely half of 4.2 % Is it ?

I dont think so. . Germany 6% , Estonia 8.4% , Lithuania 9.3%, even the USA recorded 6.2%. 

Inflation in eurozone soars to 4.9% – highest since euro was introduced | Eurozone | The Guardian

UK inflation rate 2021: Price rises at highest in a decade at 4.2% | The Independent

• Like 1

There will always valid reasons that people did not like the EU . I suspect most remainers  including myself understood them.  I just don't see even if these nasties were removed how we

are better out.

4 hours ago, E I Addio said:

Pardon my ignorance but what exactly has Crossrail  got to do with Brexit ?

Not at all. Crosrail has swallowed billions in a City that has had so much public money. Boris said he is going to level up particularly after the Leave vote. What did he do cancel HS3.

3 hours ago, Vince said:

Pathetic and hugely biased reply. If anybody ever had a jaundiced view of anything it is your view of the UK. 

You talk about inward looking and racist while typecasting people who don't live in the same region of the same country as you. 

I don't like freedom of movement, I do like immigration but that is beyond you because you think you know my opinions better than I do. That knowledge you think you have is based entirely on where I live, who I voted for in the last election and my opinion on one subject. When it comes to bigotry you have few equals. 

Like I said not very long ago, sensible debate with you on the subject of the EU (or the UK you hate so much) is impossible. 

One final thing when you followed the statement that 95% of funding goes to London and the South by saying it was a statement of fact, was that even remotely near the truth? 

Sorry but tell me what is pathetic and in what way is it biased. The South East has taken that share of investment for years particularly the city meanwhile the rest of the UK has to live off the droppings period. The Economic model we have is broken and no politician will be able to fix it. Your a very intelligent man and put forward a good argument but the bigots are from Vote Leave look at the advertising take back control and images of queuing migrants worst of all the dreadful crime committed in Birstall by a Far Right disciple. How can I be a bigot?

41 minutes ago, Pieman72 said:

Not at all. Crosrail has swallowed billions in a City that has had so much public money. Boris said he is going to level up particularly after the Leave vote. What did he do cancel HS3.

Crossrail is nothing to do with the EU. It is £4billion over budget because of delays in construction that put it 4 years behind schedule. 

I think your cut off down in Swindon. How bad do things have to get before you admit that Brexit on paper was a good idea but in reality it is an economic and constitutional disaster. A lot of towns and cities have been hollowed out by your right of centre political ideals and ideas. Following the election of Thatcher the destruction of our heavy engineering base together with smashing the Unions creating a privatised service led economy and the icing on the cake Brexit !! All let by Old Etonian public school boys and their mates in the national press. Remember North Sea Oil where did the money go and who had it !! Why do you follow such idiots?

3 minutes ago, Pieman72 said:

I think your cut off down in Swindon. How bad do things have to get before you admit that Brexit on paper was a good idea but in reality it is an economic and constitutional disaster. A lot of towns and cities have been hollowed out by your right of centre political ideals and ideas. Following the election of Thatcher the destruction of our heavy engineering base together with smashing the Unions creating a privatised service led economy and the icing on the cake Brexit !! All let by Old Etonian public school boys and their mates in the national press. Remember North Sea Oil where did the money go and who had it !! Why do you follow such idiots?

Not sure if you are replying to me or Vince but neither of us live in Swindon, and for my part at least I’ve only been there twice in my life. Have another go. As far as I can see everything you mention not only happened pre- Brexit but mostly pre- EU as well . Therefore not relevant to this thread.

• Like 1

I would say my political views are left of centre yet I think Brexit is a disaster. Talking about the Trade Unions  if they confined themselves to looking after their members great, but at the heart of matters they and have been more interested in pushing hard left  one may say communist agenda.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Pieman72 said:

Sorry but tell me what is pathetic and in what way is it biased. The South East has taken that share of investment for years particularly the city meanwhile the rest of the UK has to live off the droppings period. The Economic model we have is broken and no politician will be able to fix it. Your a very intelligent man and put forward a good argument but the bigots are from Vote Leave look at the advertising take back control and images of queuing migrants worst of all the dreadful crime committed in Birstall by a Far Right disciple. How can I be a bigot?

The bigots are the people who base their views and opinions on others based upon where they are from and the groups they belong to. Your opinion of anybody who voted leave, voted Tory or lives in the South is based upon that not them as individuals. How can that not be bigoted? 

If I made similar comments about any Eastern European national you would be telling me I was racist. 

And I suggest you look up the per capita spending of the government. The highest amount goes to London but from that point on your statement of fact about 95% going south disappears into a massive shoulder chip. 

• Like 2

On 11/30/2021 at 10:22 PM, Vince said:

The bigots are the people who base their views and opinions on others based upon where they are from and the groups they belong to. Your opinion of anybody who voted leave, voted Tory or lives in the South is based upon that not them as individuals. How can that not be bigoted? 

If I made similar comments about any Eastern European national you would be telling me I was racist. 

And I suggest you look up the per capita spending of the government. The highest amount goes to London but from that point on your statement of fact about 95% going south disappears into a massive shoulder chip. 

How can I be racist when I'm quoting investment facts not Brexit lies that you still believe. https://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2014/aug/07/london-gets-24-times-as-much-infrastructure-north-east-england

I am not jealous I'd not want to live in Hampshire, flat, boring eye watering property prices no speedway tracks and overpopulated.

After seeing the damage wreaked on the industrial areas in the Midlands and North by the Conservative Party and their crony mates I have every right to feel aggrieved. A hard Brexit deployed and stimulated by the European Research Group implemented by the Conservatives is going to make our lives very difficult for what? To make our economy shrink, to limit our freedom of movement, to reduce our human and workplace rights, dramatically stop investment in the poorest area's of the UK and creating a constitutional nightmare in Scotland and Northern Ireland.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Pieman72 said:

How can I be racist when I'm quoting investment facts not Brexit lies that you still believe. https://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2014/aug/07/london-gets-24-times-as-much-infrastructure-north-east-england

I am not jealous I'd not want to live in Hampshire, flat, boring eye watering property prices no speedway tracks and overpopulated.

After seeing the damage wreaked on the industrial areas in the Midlands and North by the Conservative Party and their crony mates I have every right to feel aggrieved. A hard Brexit deployed and stimulated by the European Research Group implemented by the Conservatives is going to make our lives very difficult for what? To make our economy shrink, to limit our freedom of movement, to reduce our human and workplace rights, dramatically stop investment in the poorest area's of the UK and creating a constitutional nightmare in Scotland and Northern Ireland.

I presume you realise that the link you provided is more than 7 years old and therefore dates back to the time when we were under EU stewardship and had been for the previous 22 years ?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Pieman72 said:

I said you were bigoted, don't believe I said racist although your dismissal of everything South of Birmingham is no different to racism.

Hampshire isn't particularly flat and has a Speedway track but you only deal in facts :D

So does London and the South East get the 95% of government money that you said it did or not?

The actual figure is 33.1% of government expenditure is on London and the South east.

When you go to per capita spending which is surely the fairest measure London and the South East comes up at £9,887 while the North East and North West average £10,244 between them with both being well over 10K. The highest spending in the UK per capita is London, the lowest is the South East!

The average per capita spending for the UK is as follows: England £9,604, Scotland £11,566,  Wales £10,929 and Northern Ireland £11,987. Last I looked none of those nations was only in the South or East.

That is all official figures not the Guardian so your assertion that 95% of money is spent on London and the South east was a complete fabrication yet you assured us that you only deal in facts. 

13 minutes ago, Vince said:

I said you were bigoted, don't believe I said racist although your dismissal of everything South of Birmingham is no different to racism.

Hampshire isn't particularly flat and has a Speedway track but you only deal in facts :D

So does London and the South East get the 95% of government money that you said it did or not?

The actual figure is 33.1% of government expenditure is on London and the South east.

When you go to per capita spending which is surely the fairest measure London and the South East comes up at £9,887 while the North East and North West average £10,244 between them with both being well over 10K. The highest spending in the UK per capita is London, the lowest is the South East!

The average per capita spending for the UK is as follows: England £9,604, Scotland £11,566,  Wales £10,929 and Northern Ireland £11,987. Last I looked none of those nations was only in the South or East.

That is all official figures not the Guardian so your assertion that 95% of money is spent on London and the South east was a complete fabrication yet you assured us that you only deal in facts. 

I said investment no Government expenditure. I didn't say everything is bad in the South of England it just the decision making and Conservative genre of the area is creating such inequality across the UK. Where is the Speedway track in Hampshire? Good discussion you are excellent.... come North to some of the deprived area's I think you'd be shocked to see the levels of depravation and poverty.

51 minutes ago, E I Addio said:

I presume you realise that the link you provided is more than 7 years old and therefore dates back to the time when we were under EU stewardship and had been for the previous 22 years ?

Erm why did people vote to Leave the EU outside London and why did people vote to remain inside London.