British Speedway Forum
The White Knight

European Union - In Or Out?

11 hours ago, YerRopes said:

This Govt attempted to recruit foreign lorry drivers (our European friends apparently) and failed. 

25 mile queues at Dover today.. :nono:

Are the queues not down to daft Covid absences in border staff?

More likely down to the loss of one cross channel ferry operator.

6 minutes ago, TonyE said:

More likely down to the loss of one cross channel ferry operator.

And why is there one less cross-channel ferry operator? 

If they stop, the euro system could well collapse...

6 hours ago, Blupanther said:

If they stop, the euro system could well collapse...

But let's also point out inflation in the UK is even higher...

How strange that Blu should stumble over Herr Polleit :rolleyes:

Two lengthy paragraphs in the manuscript were originally dedicated to Polleit. It said about the economist that he kept his face "into the camera wherever possible". According to the authors, his predictions were often not correct, but "the basic tenor should always have been in the interests of his employer". Polleit works for Degussa Goldhandel. The company is owned by billionaire August von Finck. And further: Von Finck and Polleit are interested in the fact that "the investment-friendly public always feels a kind of basic panic and therefore diligently buys gold, silver and other precious metals as a kind of 'safe investment'". The two men thus benefited from the fear spread by the New Right. They are considered Bednarz and Giesa as "dangerous citizens". In Polleit's case, Bednarz and Giesa even felt reminded of a group of right-wing conspiracy theorists. That's what the text said until Bednarz intervened.

https://www.sueddeutsche.de/kultur/interessenskonflikt-angst-ist-gold-1.3221176

• Like 1

On 4/8/2022 at 10:41 PM, Humphrey Appleby said:

But let's also point out inflation in the UK is even higher...

Let’s also point out that inflation figures are largely meaningless as a snapshot but as of Feb 2022 both the EU and U.K. reported inflation at 6.2% , which sounds to me that they are both the same. That said, there were 17 of the EU’s 27 countries reporting higher inflation than the U.K. at that time.

Both the EU and the U.K. are hurting badly with rising costs at the moment.

Incidentally, the USA was reporting inflation approaching 8% at the same time. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, E I Addio said:

Let’s also point out that inflation figures are largely meaningless as a snapshot but as of Feb 2022 both the EU and U.K. reported inflation at 6.2% , which sounds to me that they are both the same.

That was already back in February. Reckoned to be running at 8% currently.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

That was already back in February. Reckoned to be running at 8% currently.

Reckoned to be by whom ? You ? Not by the ONS who haven’t produced figures yet, nor it seems has the EU

You have previously responded to a post that said Eurozone inflation was 7.5% and the Eurozone was trailing a few points behind the full EU in February. However n the basis of your “reckoning  “ that the U.K. is running at 8% there is next to nothing between the U.K. and the EU as a whole, especially as 25 EU countries have rising inflation and around two- thirds of them have a higher inflation rate than the U.K..

So it’s not really clear what your point is other than not having one.

Edited by E I Addio

14 minutes ago, E I Addio said:

Reckoned to be by whom ? You ? Not by the ONS who haven’t produced figures yet, nor it seems has the EU

Reckoned by one of the UK government's own agencies, but I'll let you look it up... 

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

Reckoned by one of the UK government's own agencies, but I'll let you look it up... 

EL Addio owned by you again.

• Haha 4

What a disastrous mess we are in.

FQEUEmDWYAcqgJ7?format=jpg&name=medium

• Haha 1