Jump to content
British Speedway Forum
The White Knight

European Union - In Or Out?

Recommended Posts

The last few years have not been kind to the UK economy. Its standard of living today is 3 per cent lower than the euro area, principally reflecting inferior economic performance since 2019.

 

All the economic assessments prior to Brexit suggested that it would have a substantial negative impact on the UK economy.

However, when it finally happened in 2020, it coincided with the outbreak of the pandemic, a smoke screen that hid the initial negative economic effects of leaving the EU. More recently, the outbreak of the war in the Ukraine has caused major disruption, further obscuring how Brexit is impacting on British living standards.

On joining the EU in 1973, the UK’s national income per head was about the same as the EU15, and remained very similar to the euro area up to the time of the 2015 referendum.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/john-fitzgerald-extent-of-uk-economy-s-damage-from-brexit-has-been-masked-1.4870583

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

Bad news for people who do like me ... mine dont start kicking in till June as rule so fingers cross its sorted by then 

 

Share this post


Link to post
49 minutes ago, orion said:

Bad news for people who do like me ... mine dont start kicking in till June as rule so fingers cross its sorted by then 

 

Exactly the same as me . The only thing that works for me is the Aldi’s tablets . If you haven’t tried them give them a go. Hope they work for you as well as they have for me . Strangely enough shortages at  Aldi’s weren’t mentioned in the Mail scare story . The ones the Mail mentioned didn’t work anyway as far as I am concerned. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, dj350z said:

Someone wanting to move to Spain voted for Brexit. You really couldn't make it up...!

I have absolutely no sympathy for such people who screwed over existing expatriates who understood what Brexit would mean. I know we're told by some that the public knew what they were voting for, but quite clearly many didn't. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

Led by donkeys

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, iris123 said:

Led by donkeys


i think we know a few on here. ;)

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

Someone wanting to move to Spain voted for Brexit. You really couldn't make it up...!

I have absolutely no sympathy for such people who screwed over existing expatriates who understood what Brexit would mean. I know we're told by some that the public knew what they were voting for, but quite clearly many didn't. 

Not knowing much about what they were voting for then has to apply equally to many remain voters. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Vince said:

Not knowing much about what they were voting for then has to apply equally to many remain voters. 

Not at all. Surely voting remain meant you would be voting for the status quo and what we already had as members of the EU and there were/are no uncertainties!  

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, TesarRacing said:

Not at all. Surely voting remain meant you would be voting for the status quo and what we already had as members of the EU and there were/are no uncertainties!  

Given the difference between the common market we joined and the EU now I would say that only applies very short term. 

For me at least the way the EU appears to be heading was one of the major reasons for voting to leave. 

Therefore the very statement that there were no uncertainties would indicate that anybody voting for that reason didn't take everything into account. 

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
21 hours ago, Vince said:

Given the difference between the common market we joined and the EU now I would say that only applies very short term. 

For me at least the way the EU appears to be heading was one of the major reasons for voting to leave. 

Therefore the very statement that there were no uncertainties would indicate that anybody voting for that reason didn't take everything into account. 

So can you list the uncertainties that have occurred in EU policy or direction since the referendum vote that was not predicted by either remain or leave voters?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Privacy Policy