British Speedway Forum
The White Knight

European Union - In Or Out?

49 minutes ago, wealdstone said:

Largely true but Unions largely have  had a Luddite  mindset  being against most sorts of progress and new ideas as they perceive change as an attack on jobs.  American unions on the other hand seem to regard progress and  change as something their members can also benefit from.

I think unions always got a bad press. I’ve met the best and worst of people through unions. A lot goes on behind the scenes that people don’t see. One I knew one District Officer up in Hull that had been awarded the OBE because in one of the recessions under Thatcher he made sure that every apprentice laid off was placed in another job to finish his apprenticeship.. I thought that was a brilliant effort. There were some really good people in unions but others that spent half their lives in the pub !

The World has changed though

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Really ? I always thought unions in the States were fairly weak or mafia run :unsure:

If you read some of the sites, US workers look on in envy at things we in Europe take for granted, thanks to our unions, such as 

US workers are not legally entitled to any paid holiday at all. However, in reality, most US employers offer paid vacation time to their workers. The number of days varies from employer to employer, but on average, US workers receive around ten days of paid holiday each year.

Well they managed to see off Robert Maxwell.

28 minutes ago, E I Addio said:

I think unions always got a bad press. I’ve met the best and worst of people through unions. A lot goes on behind the scenes that people don’t see. One I knew one District Officer up in Hull that had been awarded the OBE because in one of the recessions under Thatcher he made sure that every apprentice laid off was placed in another job to finish his apprenticeship.. I thought that was a brilliant effort. There were some really good people in unions but others that spent half their lives in the pub !

The World has changed though

A  good example!!  However the Union Official dealing with my late brother managed to keep him dangling, did nothing as he knew (the official) was leaving and if things delayed long  enough he could totally avoid any action.

29 minutes ago, wealdstone said:

Well they managed to see off Robert Maxwell.

Not sure i understand what you are getting at. And it still doesn't make them more progressive than European unions, when you look at US workers conditions

19 minutes ago, YerRopes said:

UK 'faces worst performance in the G20 except for RUSSIA next year' https://mol.im/a/10896151 via https://dailym.ai/android

What a bloody mess this country is in.. 

You read the  Daily Fail and believe its garbage output ? Hilarious  !! Didnt have you down as a reader tbh :D

1 hour ago, Phlipphlopp said:

You read the  Daily Fail and believe its garbage output ? Hilarious  !! Didnt have you down as a reader tbh :D

Just for balance Phloppy.. 

It's a scurrilous comic tbh.. :t:

16 hours ago, Phlipphlopp said:

They are just reporting what the OECD are predicting aren’t they?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, iris123 said:

Not sure i understand what you are getting at. And it still doesn't make them more progressive than European unions, when you look at US workers conditions

As it happens I have just come back from visiting relations of mine who are over here from America. They confirm my view that Unions in America have a totally different mindset from those in Britain. In America they see working with management to be to their benefit so that members can share in the success of their employers. Agreed that it is likely heavily infiltrated by the Mafia Jimmy Hoffa of The Teamsters being an example similarly in this country Unions likely infiltrated by the Communist party. Totally different work expectations in America  most only get 2 weeks holiday  but expect no more as that is what is normal in that country. They have not got and do not expect a welfare state to look after them.  My reference to Maxwell was to give an example where if it is thought called for American Unions are quite capable of showing their muscle .  Of course there may be some that disagree

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

Well it's facts you wanted... :rolleyes:

https://www.itv.com/news/2022-06-09/brexit-cost-the-uk-billions-in-lost-trade-and-tax-revenues-research-finds

Of course, hilarious that it's the fishing' industry that's been shafted the most after being the cause celebre of the Brexit Brigade.

Here we go again. 

The CER who did the so-called modelling are by their own admission, according to their website pro-EU . Who did their modelling Nial Ferguson ? 

We have done this to death already. Brixham made a record profit in 2021 beating the previous record when we were still in the EU . 2022 is expected to be an even bigger year. Sales to domestic markets and the EU have increased.

From the Managing Director of British Trawler agents :- "Despite the pandemic and rumours around  the impact of Brexit we have seen both our sales to domestic markets and exports to the EU increase nicely. With over £43.5 million worth of sales taking place in 2021 we are expecting 2022 to be an even bigger year.

The combination of life outside the EU and the pandemic has  ensured we have diversified our markets and looked to new opportunities . From increasing our domestic market sales to being well prepared for any bureaucratic changes, Brixham Fish Market has shown that there is a positive story to tell "

Its all been done to death earlier on the thread if anyone wishes to check. One independent salesman chooses not to invest i technology  of diversify his markets and blames Brexit. That seems to be the thrust of ITV's story, although the report also says most still support the government s position.

Edited by E I Addio
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, E I Addio said:

We have done this to death already. Brixham made a record profit in 2021 beating the previous record when we were still in the EU . 2022 is expected to be an even bigger year. Sales to domestic markets and the EU have increased.

You shouldn't always believe the hype.

Brixham launched some new online fishing auction at the end of 2019, so attracted more of the falling sales than other ports (as explained here https://planetradio.co.uk/greatest-hits/devon/news/2021-was-port-biggest-year-and-it-hoped-2022-can-be-even-better/)

But the fact is that fishing under Brexit is one of overall decline...

https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/research-briefings/sn02788/