British Speedway Forum
The White Knight

European Union - In Or Out?

2 minutes ago, Grachan said:

How are they "working illegally"?

Refugees are allowed to work.

A quick google search reveals:

The current position is that, generally, asylum seekers are not allowed to work. They can only apply for permission to work if: they have waited over 12 months for an initial decision on their asylum claim or for a response to a further submission for asylum.

Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, Blupanther said:

The current position is that, generally, asylum seekers are not allowed to work. They can only apply for permission to work if: they have waited over 12 months for an initial decision on their asylum claim or for a response to a further submission for asylum.

Asylum seekers can only apply for permission to work if the their claim has taken more than 12 months through no fault of their own which includes providing information about themselves promptly .

Since the majority , if not all of them present themselves without passports or documentation it would seem that the 12 moths is not triggered until further checks have been carried out to find out who they are.

When allowed to work they are restricted to certain occupations,  the list of which includes things like veterinarian, secondary school teachers in maths and physics and software developers so it doesn’t seem in reality there are many getting work. Strangely enough the list doesn’t seem to include fruit pickers.

Regarding the hotel in Grantham though, my understanding is that the refugees living there are part of the 20,000 Afghans the UK Government agreed to talks following the withdrawal of British troops there , so it is quite possible they fall into a different category to the so-called dinghy divers.

Edited by E I Addio
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Blupanther said:

Lying and making things up is the new normal for commies.

Or, as someone said, they are virtue signalling but not virtuous.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Blupanther said:

It's a pity that the post says refugees and not asylum seekers then, isn't it.

Try reading the link that I posted. 

Or this one: What's the difference between a refugee and an asylum seeker? (amnesty.org.au)

If you are a refugee you are not an asylum seeker as asylum has been granted.

Edited by Grachan
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

UK GDP is well above the worldwide average, but are you seriously saying that the fact that it's not decreased to the level of a developing country is a selling point of Brexit? What a strange argument... :D

IMF forecasts for 2022. GDP - International Comparisons: Key Economic Indicators - House of Commons Library (parliament.uk)

Canada 3.9%

UK 3.7%

U.S. 3.7%

France 2.9%

Eurozone 2.8%

Japan 2.4%

Italy 2.3%

Germany 2.1%

So you are seriously saying that a percentage drop is more important than the overall GDP of the G7 countries (don't think any of them qualify as developing countries). What a very strange argument.... :D

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Vince said:

IMF forecasts for 2022. GDP - International Comparisons: Key Economic Indicators - House of Commons Library (parliament.uk)

Canada 3.9%

UK 3.7%

U.S. 3.7%

France 2.9%

Eurozone 2.8%

Japan 2.4%

Italy 2.3%

Germany 2.1%

So you are seriously saying that a percentage drop is more important than the overall GDP of the G7 countries (don't think any of them qualify as developing countries). What a very strange argument.... :D

But we are halfway through 2022, the projections for next year are the worrying numbers:

Spain 3.3%

Canada 2.8%

Germany 2.7%

US, Japan & Eurozone 2.3%

Italy 1.7%

France 1.4%

UK 1.2%

Edited by dj350z
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Blupanther said:

Lying and making things up is the new normal for commies.

I have never voted for Boris and i never voted for Brexit. I trust i have been clear...

What i said and i can quote the post if you want from June 21st 2019 is you posted

Boris will deliver our freedom from the EU loony left

That is all. Nowhere does it say any more than that. 

And i can also quote quite a few posts since where you have been stating Boris has taken our freedom away and this is just the start

You seem to be having your old problem of not being able to read today, i see

I trust i have been clear :rolleyes:

Edited by iris123
  • Haha 1

On 6/21/2019 at 6:19 PM, Blupanther said:

Not long to wait, Boris will deliver our freedom from the EU loony left ...

:rofl:

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Vince said:

Canada 3.9%

UK 3.7%

U.S. 3.7%

France 2.9%

Eurozone 2.8%

Japan 2.4%

Italy 2.3%

Germany 2.1%

You're quoting forecasts, and the IMF have already revised that downward for the UK this year. You're also not taking into account that the UK's economy had a greater fall post-Brexit than other economies, so any 'growth' is largely recovering what was lost. 

But growth is also bad if it's fuelling high inflation, which it is in the UK because of labour shortages in key sectors... 

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-04-19/u-k-faces-worst-inflation-shock-among-g-7-nations-imf-warns

• Like 2

Going back on the Northern Ireland deal most probably. Now UK teetering on the brink of a trade war. Whodathunkit . Well apart from Blu and Boris taking back control and giving us our freedom back B)

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/uk-trade-war-eu-brussels-brexit-northern-ireland-bill-protocol-b1005934.html

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Going back on the Northern Ireland deal most probably. Now UK teetering on the brink of a trade war. Whodathunkit . Well apart from Blu and Boris taking back control and giving us our freedom back B)

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/uk-trade-war-eu-brussels-brexit-northern-ireland-bill-protocol-b1005934.html

Oven ready deal. EU not playing fair. All the Remoaners fault....er...er....Anyway, must go, just off to a party.

• Haha 3

The halcyon days of post brexit utopia seem  still to be  some wat off 

38 minutes ago, norbold said:

Oven ready deal. EU not playing fair. All the Remoaners fault....er...er....Anyway, must go, just off to a party.

Also talk of a party rebellion over Boris's nonsense.

He never understood the issue in the first place, and has always used it as distraction from his gross incompetence. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

You're quoting forecasts, and the IMF have already revised that downward for the UK this year. You're also not taking into account that the UK's economy had a greater fall post-Brexit than other economies, so any 'growth' is largely recovering what was lost. 

But growth is also bad if it's fuelling high inflation, which it is in the UK because of labour shortages in key sectors... 

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-04-19/u-k-faces-worst-inflation-shock-among-g-7-nations-imf-warns

I'm quoting forecasts for the rest of this year which included the figures for April, the month you claimed demonstrated how badly off we were because of this government then went on to tell me I was comparing the UK with developing countries.

So I compared it to the rest of the G7, if those figures are currently wide of the mark just let us know, if not accept that you displayed a % drop without any starting point which distorted the reality.

Those figures will be revised, the IMF is traditionally poor with it's forecasts but not so bad over the short term. I would agree that if we were to use the 2023 forecast it might well be pointless and am awaiting your criticism of DJ350 for doing so :D