British Speedway Forum
The White Knight

European Union - In Or Out?

41 minutes ago, norbold said:

Just so. Anyway, I am  pleased to say that I took a step nearer to getting an EU passport today as I received official notification that I have been recognised as eligible for Portuguese citizenship. EU passport control here I come!

It's not one of those dodgy Roman Abramovich-type passports is it? :D

China has suspended talks on climate change with the United States, with 100 COP27 coming up in months. China is building 300 more coal powered stations, and electricity from coal is up 2000% since 1985. Meanwhile in 'green' Europe, energy rationing is now on the horizon. Genius...

The shark involved in the attack in Cornish waters a few days ago has since been rescued by UK Border Force and is now reported as comfortable in a 4 star Travel Lodge, with 4 meals a day, Universal Credit, the latest smartphone, and a job offer in the Labour Party The swimmer has been charged with assault...

• Haha 4

7 hours ago, Blupanther said:

The shark involved in the attack in Cornish waters a few days ago has since been rescued by UK Border Force and is now reported as comfortable in a 4 star Travel Lodge, with 4 meals a day, Universal Credit, the latest smartphone, and a job offer in the Labour Party The swimmer has been charged with assault...

I heard it was being sent to Rwanda

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, iris123 said:

I don't like to bring this up and say i did point out the problem at the time, but then again, i lied, and do like to bring it up :D It was always going to end in tears

MANY EU migrants will be denied the right to settle in the UK after Brexit as Home Secretary Sajid Javid aims to slash immigration from Europe by 80 per cent, it emerged yesterday.

Sajid Javid's plan to cut EU immigrants

MANY EU migrants will be denied the right to settle in the UK after Brexit as Home Secretary Sajid Javid aims to slash immigration from Europe by 80 per cent, it emerged yesterday.

17:00, Tue, Dec 18, 2018

Most migrants will only be allowed to move here if they have a job and earn in excess of £30,000. Officials insist the new immigration system, expected to be outlined in a government paper this week, will end preferential treatment of EU citizens while giving the UK the skills it needs. Net migration from the EU hit a six-year-low in June - with 74,000 extra people moving to the UK from the bloc.

Low-skilled migrants will only be given short-term visas to stay for a year and will not be able to bring their family with them, according to reports.

They will only be able to return to the UK after waiting another 12 months, it was said.

That is part of what was voted for in the referendum, I await the 'racist' chant but don't believe it is racist to want people from worldwide to have the same opportunities in the UK as those from the EU. I don't think the UK could sustain the levels of immigration that it has seen since those from Eastern Europe were allowed in without restriction. 

Short term workers being allowed to stay for only a year and without their family is common sense, how many have taken short term work and ended up needing accommodation and help in the long term because they stay here in low paid jobs? I don't doubt it is far less than have succeeded in finding employment that pays their way but it is still a lot of people claiming benefits and using resources without contributing overall to the cost. Yes there are more British born people doing the same but it doesn't make sense to import an extra burden on the system.

Immigration is a good thing, open borders aren't in my opinion.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

8 hours ago, Vince said:

That is part of what was voted for in the referendum, I await the 'racist' chant but don't believe it is racist to want people from worldwide to have the same opportunities in the UK as those from the EU. I don't think the UK could sustain the levels of immigration that it has seen since those from Eastern Europe were allowed in without restriction. 

Short term workers being allowed to stay for only a year and without their family is common sense, how many have taken short term work and ended up needing accommodation and help in the long term because they stay here in low paid jobs? I don't doubt it is far less than have succeeded in finding employment that pays their way but it is still a lot of people claiming benefits and using resources without contributing overall to the cost. Yes there are more British born people doing the same but it doesn't make sense to import an extra burden on the system.

Didn’t have to leave the EU to do most of

that^. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, PragueMagpie said:

Didn’t have to leave the EU to do most of

that^. 

Didn't say we did, not even my main reason for voting to leave.

• Haha 1

On 8/4/2022 at 10:25 PM, Humphrey Appleby said:

However, no-one is forcing EU workers to accept the conditions, and some may actually see them as considerable improvements over their own country in some cases. 

Ah yes I see. So the the plan is for us Brits to establish our intellectual superiority over  Johnny Foreigner by all going to University and earning lots of money doing nothing really useful.

The hole left in the job market (i.e providing essential services) can be plugged by getting intellectually inferior migrants to be our bitches for less money and in poorer conditions than we would accept because it's a bit less rubbish than in the countries they left behind.

Maybe we could send ships over to Africa and bring back some unfortunates from famine ravaged countries? I'm sure putting them up in a communal workhouse and giving them a square meal a day to skivvy for us is a massive improvement to what they have now. 

The beauty of it is that If anyone objects, then just shut them down by telling them that they're racist and are simply offended at the sight of brown skin. :t:

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
On 8/6/2022 at 8:29 AM, Vince said:

I doubt very much whether it's about 'equal opportunities' and very much about keeping funny foreigners out. It's been said plenty of times before, but immigration is largely driven by jobs and simply wouldn't be attractive if there wasn't work that needed doing.

It's pretty obvious when you see how employers can't find people to fill vacancies, and the UK economy is going down the pan as a result.

'Just paying people more' is a total over-simplification of the problem. Couldn't even get breakfast at my hotel this morning because of the total disorganisation of what appeared to be an entirely British staff, and we were not the only ones. The economy is a losing a fortune.

Short term workers being allowed to stay for only a year and without their family is common sense, how many have taken short term work and ended up needing accommodation and help in the long term because they stay here in low paid jobs?

Unfortunately you seem to have very little appreciation of realities. Who on earth is going to go to the trouble of 'filling in a few forms' and uproot themselves for short-term work, pay taxes to the UK, only to be told to sod off when they're surplus to requirements? And then be separated from their families whilst they're doing it.

It might seem sensible in the fantasyworld of the Brexiteer, but I certainly wouldn't do it, and it's why foreigners are largely sticking two fingers up to the UK. In the meantime, produce is going unpicked in the fields, the leisure industry is going down the pan, and the NHS is literally on its knees.

And in my opinion they were generally a very good thing across the EU/EEA, as we now see the detrimental consequences of pulling up the drawbridge.

Edited by Humphrey Appleby
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 8/7/2022 at 4:19 PM, AFCB Wildcat said:

Ah yes I see. So the the plan is for us Brits to establish our intellectual superiority over  Johnny Foreigner by all going to University and earning lots of money doing nothing really useful.

Sums up the attitude of some that they think people who go to university don't do anything useful. Seems a bit 'Cultural Revolution' to me though, that everyone should be forced to labour in the fields picking produce rather than inventing the technology to pick it for us... :rolleyes:

I thought Brexit was all about 'looking after oor own' anyway, so not sure where this sudden concern for the lot of Johnny Foreigner has come from...

Edited by Humphrey Appleby

It took French police 4 yrs to figure out puncturing dinghies with a knife and smashing outboard motors with a hammer would stop illegals crossing the Channel. That Stanley Knife and hammer has cost British taxpayers £millions...

TLxAVn3n?format=jpg&name=small

14 hours ago, Blupanther said:

It took French police 4 yrs to figure out puncturing dinghies with a knife and smashing outboard motors with a hammer would stop illegals crossing the Channel. That Stanley Knife and hammer has cost British taxpayers £millions...

We wait with baited breath to see if this was a 'one-off' - the French might one day com e to the realisation that if they made it/difficult/impossible to illegally cross the channel, then the migrants might not bother to go to their beaches in the first place.

• Like 2

Frankfurt, Paris Charles de Gaulle, and Amsterdam Schiphol were all worse than British airports London Gatwick and London Heathrow for delays this summer, according to Johns Hopkins University. Maybe Brexit had nothing to do with it after all...

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Blupanther said:

Better late than never. The UK Government still dont seem to have figured out how to take on organised crime, as far as cross- channel people trafficking is concerned. Assuming 30 -40 people were due to take that boat the exercise has probably cost  either the people traffickers upwards of £120,000 or, if they don’t get their money back the intended migrants have lost at least £3000 each. It doesn’t take a genius to work out that this trade can’t continue if losses of the scale are sustained on a regular basis.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

Sums up the attitude of some that they think people who go to university don't do anything useful. Seems a bit 'Cultural Revolution' to me though, that everyone should be forced to labour in the fields picking produce rather than inventing the technology to pick it for us... :rolleyes:

I thought Brexit was all about 'looking after oor own' anyway, so not sure where this sudden concern for the lot of Johnny Foreigner has come from...

Whoooshhhh :rofl:

• Haha 1