British Speedway Forum
PHILIPRISING

How Do We Attract A New Young Audience?

Lock tight rules? Did you see Warsaw last year?

sure did, it was as farcical as a league match, luckily, its not the norm for a gp

I have long suspected that the reason SGP/SWC works is because the riders are using their best equipment and using their skills to the full, as opposed to turning up and going through the motions in league events - unless they're riding for a very expensive carrot dangled before them in Poland.

• Like 3

if we look at why speedway works at GP/WORLD CUP level, just maybe, league racing can follow?

GP/WC...no guest riders.......No rider sharing....Meaningful fixtures....Fast moving, not drawn-out...lock tight rules..

just a thought

I can remember Jason Crump and Niki Pedersen fighting to get last place (Both slowing down) regarding who did/didn't get the 'Joker' in the World Cup a few years ago.

That was pretty demeaning for Speedway.

• Like 2

I can remember Jason Crump and Niki Pedersen fighting to get last place (Both slowing down) regarding who did/didn't get the 'Joker' in the World Cup a few years ago.

That was pretty demeaning for Speedway.

What would you do WK? it is not easy but us two are both old farts and there are not many in line to take our place.I recon a 12 pound entrance fee for example at Swindon as a start try to tempt a few people back and stick to the double point rule( only joking i hate it as well.

What would you do WK? it is not easy but us two are both old farts and there are not many in line to take our place.I recon a 12 pound entrance fee for example at Swindon as a start try to tempt a few people back and stick to the double point rule( only joking i hate it as well.

Your not wrong there sidney. :rofl: :rofl:

As for what would I do. About the only thing I can think of that could help Speedway is an Independent Overseer of the whole Sport with a Brief to completely reorganize Speedway. For all sorts of reasons that will not happen, and Speedway will continue to bumble along in it's own haphazard way until there are none of us 'oldies' left. Then it will probably become an Amateur Sport in this Country.

Obviously there may be somebody else out there who has an answer - if there is - I wish they could come forward soon, whilst there is still a Sport around to be brought up to date.

• Like 1

Your not wrong there sidney. :rofl: :rofl:

As for what would I do. About the only thing I can think of that could help Speedway is an Independent Overseer of the whole Sport with a Brief to completely reorganize Speedway. For all sorts of reasons that will not happen, and Speedway will continue to bumble along in it's own haphazard way until there are none of us 'oldies' left. Then it will probably become an Amateur Sport in this Country.

Obviously there may be somebody else out there who has an answer - if there is - I wish they could come forward soon, whilst there is still a Sport around to be brought up to date.

John Berry as you have said WK in the past what a miss, ok he would of ruffled a few feathers but he might have done it a massive opportunity missed.
  • Like 3

Glasgow's crowds doubled last year, peaking at 2000 for the Grand Final. So a huge step in the right direction but still a lot of work to be done.

Locally Braehead Clan set the benchmark with their use of social media, fan engagement and match day entertainment.

No secret that the Tigers are trying their best to emulate a lot of what the Clan do, as it works!

IMO what succeeded for the club last year.

First and foremost the stadium renovations, Ashfield became a place you were proud to attend and tell others about.

Partnerships with Glasgow Celtic, Glasgow Rangers, Knockhill and the Braehead Clan allowed the Tigers to promote at their venues and tap into their existing support.

Signage - You cannot drive by Ashfield now without noticing it be it the fantastic Tiger mural at one end of the street, the 14 road signs dotted around the local area or the bright inviting billboards plastered all around the entrance.

Use of Social Media to fill that dead time between meetings to keep that Sunday buzz going as long as possible, engage with the support' keep them informed and make them feel as important as they are. In British speedway the Tigers have the largest following on Instagram, second highest on Twitter and fourth highest on Facebook. They will become the club with the largest social media following in British speedway around March next year, passing Poole.

Exposure on Radio Clyde through sponsorship of their morning sports desk slot and regular features in the Daily Record and Evening Times.

Race Day - Pre Match entertainment (Bubble football, regular singers, face painting, lookalikes the list goes on) A fantastic well motivated Mascot, Races for the Kids, Jungle Balls (ball in bucket win a prize), Start Girls with dancing routines, a varied choice of music, theme tunes for the riders.

There were numerous other initiatives that were tried last year some deemed a failure others whose long term success is hard to quantify. The work continues this Winter with working parties made up of fans, sponsors and management focusing on key growth areas for the club...There are already a couple of initiatives in the pipeline which should greatly enhance the fans enjoyment of their Sunday afternoon show.

Of course a lot of what was done costs money but maybe just maybe with Glasgow, Belle Vue and (hopefully) Swindon leading the way Speedway can start to emerge from the rut its wallowed in for too long.

Edited by Fingersfin
  • Like 9

Glasgow's crowds doubled last year, peaking at 2000 for the Grand Final. So a huge step in the right direction but still a lot of work to be done.

Locally Braehead Clan set the benchmark with their use of social media, fan engagement and match day entertainment.

No secret that the Tigers are trying their best to emulate a lot of what the Clan do, as it works!

IMO what succeeded for the club last year.

First and Foremost the stadium renovations, Ashfield became a place you were proud to attend and tell others about.

Partnerships with Glasgow Celtic, Glasgow Rangers, Knockhill and the Braehead Clan allowed the Tigers to promote at their venues and tap into their existing support.

Signage - You cannot drive by Ashfield now without noticing it be it the fantastic Tiger mural at one end of the street, the 14 road signs dotted around the local area or the bright inviting billboards plastered all around the entrance.

Use of Social Media to fill that dead time between meetings to keep that Sunday buzz going as long as possible, engage with the support' keep them informed and make them feel as important as they are. In British speedway the Tigers have the largest following on Instagram, second highest on twitter and fourth highest on facebook. They will become the club with the largest social media following in British speedway around March next year, passing Poole.

Exposure on Radio Clyde through sponsorship of their morning sports desk slot and regular features in the Daily Record and Evening Times.

Race Day - Pre Match entertainment (Bubble football, regular singers, face painting, lookalikes the list goes on) A fantastic well motivated Mascot, Races for the Kids, Jungle Balls (ball in bucket win a prize), Start Girls with dancing routines, a varied choice of music, theme tunes for the riders.

There were numerous other initiatives that were tried last year some deemed a failure others whose long term success is hard to quantify. The work continues this Winter with working parties made up of fans, sponsors and management focusing on key growth areas for the club...There are already a couple of initiatives in the pipeline which should greatly enhance the fans enjoyment of their Sunday afternoon show.

Of course a lot of what was done costs money but maybe just maybe with Glasgow, Belle Vue and (hopefully) Swindon leading the way Speedway can start to emerge from the rut its wallowed in for too long.

Great to hear hope Glasgow do well and hopefully the sport moves on.
  • Like 1

John Berry as you have said WK in the past what a miss, ok he would of ruffled a few feathers but he might have done it a massive opportunity missed.

A massive 'miss!' John Berry would have been a great administrator but felt that he wouldn't have got the necessary support from within.

Another interesting team locally is the Glasgow Rocks basketball team. They have very little money, two full time back office staff, coach and players. There strategy is schools and they go for it in a big way. The players are contracted to train for two hours in the morning then every afternoon they are out at a local school taking workshops, preaching good health and handing out discount coupons.

There crowd must average between 1000 - 1500 and its packed full of kids and families with crowds growing. Again they play in the fantastic surroundings of the Emirates arena.

Personally think schools is tricky for speedway as the riders are off here there and everywhere. The Tigers did have Schools programme a few years ago run out of the learning centre at Ibrox but that fell away after Shane Parkers departure.

• Like 1

A massive 'miss!' John Berry would have been a great administrator but felt that he wouldn't have got the necessary support from within.

People within the sport looking after there own interests? nothing has really changed Steve since JB i was not always a fan of John but he grew on me and could of changed the direction of British Speedway.
  • Like 1

People within the sport looking after there own interests? nothing has really changed Steve since JB i was not always a fan of John but he grew on me and could of changed the direction of British Speedway.

I corresponded with John on a couple of occasions and found him to be a most charming and articulate individual. He's sorely missed!

So good to see a club able to actually tackle this and be rewarded. As I said, it needs financing and thankfully the Tigers now have this. I do hope it pays off long term and proves to be inspiration for the rest of the sport.

• Like 1

How Do We Attract A New Young Audience--------Booze, Drugs and ladies of easy leisure

next question!

• Like 1

I corresponded with John on a couple of occasions and found him to be a most charming and articulate individual. He's sorely missed!

Totally right could do with John now, being realistic as Fraser said (we are are doomed) i think the product generally the racing is good but the sport is going nowhere harsh but true.
  • Like 2