British Speedway Forum
PHILIPRISING

How Do We Attract A New Young Audience?

MORE RACING

Grasstrack racing, run entirely by amateurs, manages to put on a 30 to 50 race programme lasting around three hours. Even if one race is not very exciting there is another one along almost instantly. This makes for an interesting and sometimes exciting, few hours of racing. Speedway needs more racing!

One way to get more races would be to have two separate matches on the same bill, with alternating races. This would also help alleviate the problem of dwindling track numbers.

For example, Cov & Leicester could share Leicester's venue, and they could ride against Wolves and KL respectively on the same night........

Just a thought.

MORE RACING

Grasstrack racing, run entirely by amateurs, manages to put on a 30 to 50 race programme lasting around three hours. Even if one race is not very exciting there is another one along almost instantly. This makes for an interesting and sometimes exciting, few hours of racing. Speedway needs more racing!

It's also typical of amateur and youth speedway meetings but, sadly, the further up the ladder you get, the less will there is to keep meetings moving.

I'm pretty typical of most on this forum as I have my parents to thank for introducing me to speedway as a child.

I've posted this 3 times previously but I was hooked on speedway by the noise, the speed and the smell.

Fast forward 40 years most of the noise has mostly gone,you hardly ever get a whiff of the smell,with only the speed remaining.

With the noise also went the atmosphere,the sport lost its soul. I'm not surprised kids of today are bored at the speedway

because as a 44 year old adult I'm mostly bored too. Oh for the days of a rasping GM engine ,the smell of methanol,and a

crackling derby atmosphere.Sadly they are never too return,making the sport a bit of a busted flush.

Or a JAP. :t::approve: :approve:

More races? Sorry but there is only so many races even a speedway fan can stand in one sitting The 1979 Four Team Championship, two semis and final, was 48 races if I remember and wasn't repeated. Perhaps it is just me, but after so many heats I get fatigued and begin yawning.

]

Edited by moxey63

More races? Sorry but there is only so many races even a speedway fan can stand in one sitting The 1979 Four Team Championship, two semis and final, was 48 races if I remember and wasn't repeated. Perhaps it is just me, but after so many heats I get fatigued and begin yawning.

]

There wouldn't be anything wrong with Twenty Heats though would there?

Second Half for example.

We'll have to sing and chant like the Poles do, their matches attract plenty of teenagers, 20 and 30 somethings!!!!

Or a JAP. :t::approve: :approve:

never hear a rasping GM myself , but I have heard J.A.Ps and 2 valve Jawas with a nice rasp .

• Like 1

This thread sums up the issue with speedway, old people trying to understand what young people want.

I'm young and what I want at speedway is a decent sound system, alcohol which is affordable, legal highs and girls.

This thread sums up the issue with speedway, old people trying to understand what young people want.

I'm young and what I want at speedway is a decent sound system, alcohol which is affordable, legal highs and girls.

To quote Maurice Chevalier as he sang the lyrics to a Frederick Loewe composition...

"I'm glad that I'm not young anymore...!"

Ps Sounds better when recited in a slight French accent!

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 1

Put OAP pricing up and let anyone under 30 in free. No young person wantsto go to a event thats stinks off wee and werthers originals

Edited by phillipsr

You're on the wrong forum, Mozza, try here:-http://www.rave.org.uk/forum/

Cant even put EL meetings on you tube, the sport is stuck in the past.

All under 16s free at Brandon next year, dropped the adult price by £1 and Students are just a fiver. They need to get the message out there pre season on normal and social media otherwise the public wont know about the reductions though.

I've been shouted at about this in the past on here, but I'll say it again. The student discount is a ridiculous anachronism. Let's go for a young persons discount (17-22) like many football clubs. It's more realistic and fair, and more likely to target People who will return year on year.
  • Like 4