British Speedway Forum
PHILIPRISING

How Do We Attract A New Young Audience?

Many young people are like sheep, wherever the majority go, they go. So to stand any chance of getting young people to our speedway we have to make the night out young people friendly.

I'm not sure we can do that. The Poles are different, they are patriotic to their local teams and it seems it's the young blokes in particular who all support their town's speedway team on a Sunday when there's not much else to do.

I think perhaps we need to get the kids along more and hope to keep them through the years. But again the promoters have to look at the whole pic and provide what the people want for a good night out.

Again we're not like the Polish, we want more from our night at speedway than just the speedway cos that is all you get in Poland. The fans get their just wanting their team to win and letting them know so throughout the meeting. They chant, sing, wave flags, there's no centre green bloke having to tell them to make some noise lol. They are up for supporting their team just full stop. The Polish clubs just open the doors and in they flow.

I'd like to think that getting out into the local community would help the clubs, go to the schools, colleges, youth clubs, pubs etc etc. Have a presence, let people know you're there, make them want to support the club and the riders somehow?

There's no easy answer.

Get rid of the rubbishy tatty stadia and rebuild with clean modern ones, look at the danish & swedish stadia.

I you going to find the money ?

I think the 'powers that be' and fans for that matter, need to decide what 'younger audiences' they want/need to attract?!

A teenager wants many different things than a 5-8 year old for example. 18-25 year olds have much more disposable income than ever before and probably wouldn't think of spending any of it on a 'family sport or activity'!!

Speedway has long been promoted as a family sport and over all this period attendances have continued to fall - for combinations of several reasons, not all applicable in every area of the UK.

Its one thing to target young teenagers who want to become riders - and well done to all the academies and to the work Neil Vatcher and others are doing - BUT that does not address the attendance problem.

Recognise that the sport is fast, dangerous, extreme at times and full of rivalries - both individual and club-wise - and use all methods of media (both pre and post meeting) to build on those aspects. Couple that with a period of reduced admission prices and special offers - not just for one meeting but for maybe a whole month or two - and not expect the officials/referees to dish out fines for the slightest misdemeanour on track. Get the riders on board - turn a blind eye to the occasional 'finger' to opposing fans, make sure all riders do a winners' lap and really crank up the crowd.

Lets get real people. Know your audience or who you want your audience to be and go for it.

Edited by Skidder1
  • Like 1

Advertising does work... I didn't know of Monster Energy drink 10 years ago, for example. I do now, but steer clear of it. Perhaps the same will happen if more know of speedway.

It is alright knowing it exists, but are we capable of keeping new fans?

Gospeed should be given the benefit of doubt. He did say that he assumed it would be a national scheme but I would prefer individual clubs to do their own competition.

I'm glad that you have had an encouraging response...let the proof of the pudding be in the eating.

Like you, I envisaged that individual competitions could be done in the locality of each of the clubs, on a scale managable at club level, involving several schools/colleges local to each club, but that's not to dismiss the possibility of local winners going on to a national competition too.

I'm glad that you have had an encouraging response...let the proof of the pudding be in the eating.

Like you, I envisaged that individual competitions could be done in the locality of each of the clubs, on a scale managable at club level, involving several schools/colleges local to each club, but that's not to dismiss the possibility of local winners going on to a national competition too.

I totally agree. If (and its still a big if) Gospeed come through there is the practicality of schools producing a promotional video in the close season or maybe it should be left up to the schools/colleges to use their resourcefulness to beg steal and borrow footage and interviews.

I totally agree. If (and its still a big if) Gospeed come through there is the practicality of schools producing a promotional video in the close season or maybe it should be left up to the schools/colleges to use their resourcefulness to beg steal and borrow footage and interviews.

Well, taking that a little further forward, how about the BSPA setting up a website with footage available from whatever sources are willing to help, and then contacting all schools with a professionally worded letter explain what the idea is and also a link to the website with all the downloadable material? This would be a ready made resource for schools to use as a way of an exercise for the pupils and have a meaningful purpose too. They could even have a prize fund to create more interest and reward good work.

It's in the BSPA's best interest to get something done about the dwindling crowds, and to keep them. An exercise such as this would be a step in the right direction. Do nothing and nothing changes.

The idea would be for schools to get their media / arts students to use their school equipment at the tracks, during race nights during the season. Someone said that kids are like sheep, so if you get a team of 8 or 9 involved with the production, their mates will probably come into the stands, some parents and teachers will be there, interest will grow amongst the peers of the kids involved.

On the video production / education side of it, It'll be up to the students to work out their angles, their footage, who does the camerawork, etc, they can do their own interviews, see what goes on from the moment a rider unloads his van to the moment the lights go down.

One school one week, another school another week and so on til everyone has had a turn, then they can see what they do with their endeavours.

Getting under the skin of the sport is what is most likely to get them hooked in after their video project is over. Much better than getting young people bored listening to Abba for 10 minutes between races like most other promotions inflict on them. And if some of these kids develop into long term speedway fans, they are at an age when they will be coming into the stadiums at full prices, not concessions. That's a top consideration to the promotions who currently have 60% - 70% of their crowd paying their concessionary admission prices.

Thats easy enough......

Ban anyone under the age of 21 from attending speedway..

Teens love doing/going to stuff they aren't allowed to do/go to...

• Like 5

"How to attract younger people", 1000s of posts later a load of old people have still not cracked it, shocking that.

I think as a young person, if there was a speedway game, a bit like football manager, made (PROPERLY) by a reasonable company and then the game got pushed, maybe kids would see it, buy it and then come to their local track!! :) I remember the first time I saw speedway, was a grand prix on the tv and then a few weeks later, my uncle bought me one of the grand prix games and I was hooked on speedway, and their not even particularly good games, if a decent one was made, maybe it might attract kids

ALSO!! Why not do activities during the meeting, like the mini basketball used to be at Newcastle, stop trying to rush the meeting for all of the cold and old people to be happy and slow it down and make it more interesting for the kids, prizes and such, I know a bunch of old people won't like this suggestion but we need to attract the kids somehow :P Speedway meetings are pretty boring just getting the heats done and then going home (For a kid)

"How to attract younger people", 1000s of posts later a load of old people have still not cracked it, shocking that.

I thought the new Chairman and vice-Chairman had that sorted :t:

I think as a young person, if there was a speedway game, a bit like football manager, ..

Or how about if the BSPA put up it's 3 prime promoters to front-up a "Speedway Apprentice" type competition, with real life speedway management problems like arranging sponsorship, dealing with a rider who's got tooth ache, someone stealing the water bowser from the track on the day of the meeting, etc etc... see how people get on, and see who gets the Dick Dastardly finger pointing at him at the end with those immortal words, "you're fired"?

I think that the prototype game should feature prime wags off BSF, just to iron out any bugs in the system, and then unleash the game nationwide.

• Like 1

It is so easy and simple it is beyond belief that publishing new material both in The Speedway Star and Associated Speedway websites would actually bring with it the desire to look at them, by a new audience.

If a new rider/novice/youth is doing well then the extended families take a interest, problem is the old stick in the mud attitude of we know which audience we cater for attitude.

Halifax `Golden Fleece` Dukes have just won The Northern Junior League in 2016, World No.6 at 125cc level, British 125cc 3,4 and 5 finishers, British Youth Grass Track Champion, 1,2 and 3 in Northern Junior League Riders 125cc Championship and which one of the above has cared to mention it, cover it or even published a photograph?

It is great that The Evening Courier in Halifax does give great coverage still even after a 30 year absence of the sport in the Town and people want to watch it and know where they can go to watch the Dukes.

Take a look at the web page of the Dukes to see over 3500 hits over consecutive weeks to see who can do it right.

• Like 1

I think as a young person, if there was a speedway game, a bit like football manager, made (PROPERLY) by a reasonable company and then the game got pushed, maybe kids would see it, buy it and then come to their local track!! :) I remember the first time I saw speedway, was a grand prix on the tv and then a few weeks later, my uncle bought me one of the grand prix games and I was hooked on speedway, and their not even particularly good games, if a decent one was made, maybe it might attract kids

ALSO!! Why not do activities during the meeting, like the mini basketball used to be at Newcastle, stop trying to rush the meeting for all of the cold and old people to be happy and slow it down and make it more interesting for the kids, prizes and such, I know a bunch of old people won't like this suggestion but we need to attract the kids somehow :P Speedway meetings are pretty boring just getting the heats done and then going home (For a kid)

Uhmmmm!!!!.......not usually a problem I associate with MOST speedway meetings!!