British Speedway Forum
PHILIPRISING

How Do We Attract A New Young Audience?

My 14 year old daughter loves the Speedway and the GP last year at Cardiff she loved - I asked her over Christmas what she liked and didn't about the Sport

Tai Woffiden !

The speed and smell

Crashes

Writing the scores in

Getting signatures and selfies with the Riders

Dislikes

Poor facilities

Time waiting for the races

Tractor going around/Poor Commentary

Uncool hobby amongst her friends ( interesting )

And the best comment she made ' Its such a great sport dad compared to Football and the Darts ' - both those IMO are in the 21st Century - Im sure we can learn something from the Darts

Interesting. Quite a lot of similarities to my 12 year old. And they both like crashes.

Also interesting that so far we've had the opinions of 2 young people and both like filling in the scores, which is the thing that Philip and Kelvin think youngsters don't want to do.

• Like 1

Interesting. Quite a lot of similarities to my 12 year old. And they both like crashes.

Also interesting that so far we've had the opinions of 2 young people and both like filling in the scores, which is the thing that Philip and Kelvin think youngsters don't want to do.

Philip and Kelvin didn't ask the youngsters did they, typical!

The youngsters "likeing crashes".... could that possibly stem from the violence we see on tv, films, computer games etc.

wew surely dont want "stage managed" crashes in speedway......... we have enough with the likes of Kildemand dropping down when he sees fit.

On Boxing Day I was watching downhill soap box racing from Holland (you know....the flat country) which was sponsored by Red Bull. A very good crowd lining the route down, lots of families. The crowd was probably as big as some speedway meetings. What attracted them to a soap box race? Then there was top quality cyclo cross from Zolder (is that Belgium or Holland), anyway, a really big crowd which would probably put most GP crowds to shame. Whats the attraction there?

I started going to speedway at about age 5 , always thought that speedway tracks were soft !! That is, the layer of shale on top was about 6 inches deep , and couldn't understand why riders got abrasions and bruises from simple slide offs , that was until I was about 30 , when I pushed my nephew on track at a practise and found out the surface is as hard as concrete .. was it just me or are there others who thought the shale had a bit of "give" in it . I'm pretty sure Phillip and Kelvin make comments with only the best intentions , but both are biased and slightly removed from the reality of speedway from the terraces , Phillip from a Journalistic point of view and Kelvin from a rider / technician point of view , neither will ever know what its like to be a paying spectator and both can only report their perception of sport from other peoples opinions . both have too much experience of speedway from inside to fully take on board what it's like from outside , similar situation occurs with the promoters , their attitude seems to be you can't please all the people all the time ,so just concentrate on losing/spending the least money possible and dont suggest anything that may rock the boat between themselves or the few promoters feasting at the top table , speedway needs people from outside to run it as entertainment with ,even handed regulation and rules , + these people need to be kept away from contact with riders and promoters as much as possible ,(as SCB members were when it was set up ) and most definitely we need to make use of I.T. and the social media . Instead of panicking about losing £2 profit from a programme ,promoters need to be concerning themselves with how to get enough through the gates that the £2 not spent on a programme doesn't matter . speedway has the product and needs to sort the packaging .

• Like 4

The youngsters "likeing crashes".... could that possibly stem from the violence we see on tv, films, computer games etc.?

Absolutely not. I have always been quite strict in what my son watches on tv and what computer games he is allowed.

The fact is, whether people like it or not, kids find crashes exciting because crashes can be exciting.

The youngsters "likeing crashes".... could that possibly stem from the violence we see on tv, films, computer games etc.

wew surely dont want "stage managed" crashes in speedway......... we have enough with the likes of Kildemand dropping down when he sees fit.

On Boxing Day I was watching downhill soap box racing from Holland (you know....the flat country) which was sponsored by Red Bull. A very good crowd lining the route down, lots of families. The crowd was probably as big as some speedway meetings. What attracted them to a soap box race? Then there was top quality cyclo cross from Zolder (is that Belgium or Holland), anyway, a really big crowd which would probably put most GP crowds to shame. Whats the attraction there?

Can't see why it should be, no computer games when I was a kid and we didn't even have a TV until after I started school and only just before I remember going to Speedway. Liked crashes as part of the sport then and still do, they add to the excitement. Speedway without crashes and danger would be half the sport that it is as far as I am concerned. I hate to see riders badly injured but the majority of crashes don't end that way. No need for stage managed crashes there are generally plenty of the real thing in Speedway.

Before everybody shouts about how terrible that is I'll bet that Crashes and Cock Ups is the biggest selling Speedway DVD of the year and has been for a long time, so I'm not the only one. I am also delighted when somebody gets one of my own crashes on film so I can see it, even the ones that hurt!

• Like 1

It was enjoyable watching a couple of downhill soap box events, some very strange soap boxes but the exciting bits were the spectacular crashes where luckily no one was hurt, and that is not from a youngster.

I would agree with many of the dislikes of speedway, the delays between races and continual tractor racing especially when it is cold or wet. Speed up the meetings, put on second halves where possible, there should be a 1 min restart after the ref stops the race for a start infringement and no stopping at the pit gate for fuel or adjustments.

ARE you sure about that?

No, how many did you ask then and what ages?

Absolutely not. I have always been quite strict in what my son watches on tv and what computer games he is allowed.

The fact is, whether people like it or not, kids find crashes exciting because crashes can be exciting.

But don't forget to tell them they damned well hurt and the rest eh, always hated crashes, more so through the years

I started going to speedway at about age 5 , always thought that speedway tracks were soft !! That is, the layer of shale on top was about 6 inches deep , and couldn't understand why riders got abrasions and bruises from simple slide offs , that was until I was about 30 , when I pushed my nephew on track at a practise and found out the surface is as hard as concrete .. was it just me or are there others who thought the shale had a bit of "give" in it . I'm pretty sure Phillip and Kelvin make comments with only the best intentions , but both are biased and slightly removed from the reality of speedway from the terraces , Phillip from a Journalistic point of view and Kelvin from a rider / technician point of view , neither will ever know what its like to be a paying spectator and both can only report their perception of sport from other peoples opinions . both have too much experience of speedway from inside to fully take on board what it's like from outside , similar situation occurs with the promoters , their attitude seems to be you can't please all the people all the time ,so just concentrate on losing/spending the least money possible and dont suggest anything that may rock the boat between themselves or the few promoters feasting at the top table , speedway needs people from outside to run it as entertainment with ,even handed regulation and rules , + these people need to be kept away from contact with riders and promoters as much as possible ,(as SCB members were when it was set up ) and most definitely we need to make use of I.T. and the social media . Instead of panicking about losing £2 profit from a programme ,promoters need to be concerning themselves with how to get enough through the gates that the £2 not spent on a programme doesn't matter . speedway has the product and needs to sort the packaging .

Good post, only a few promoters and riders "get" the fan thing!!

I did mention it on here before,but my (at the time)10 year old son watched speedway on Eurosport last season.The only thing that interested him was the fact that in 2 or 3 heats running the rider wearing yellow crashed.he thought that was interesting,but once that didn't happen any more he just said "they are just riding round in circles!" and won't watch any more and wild horses couldn't get him or his sisters to a live meeting......

To some extent I think things like parking and/or transport needs to be well functioning in order to primarily avoid loosing existing spectators and secondly to attract new fans.

Smederna used to have a huge gravel parking lot which were well sufficient for the amount of spectators Smederna attracted.

However when Smederna folded some idiot was very short sighted and allowed one of the other clubs at Eskilstuna Motorstadion, to out up a fence over almost

the entire parking lot and later extend the go cart track into a smaller tarmac track used for go carts, drifting and mini moto. When Smederna advanced into Allsvenskan and

rode their for two season, it became pretty obvious that the small parking lot wouldn't be enough. When the parking is a mess people will stay home since they are a bit comfortable.

For 2015 a new parking was built behind the speedway arena but it is still too small for attendances over 3000 and there is only a small narrow gravel road leading to it so

there are still lot's of queues. The good thing though is that Smederna have a bus going from the central city out to the arena (about 12km) which only costs 20SEK (~1.6) for a round trip.

Another good thing is that Smederna offers the possibility to pre-purchase tickets for an individual meeting so that you can use the season ticket entrance and

by that avoid the queues for the regular buy-at-the-gate entrances.

Certain tracks in the UK do not have public transport going anywhere near them, so many youngsters could only go if there parents or a friends parent took them. When I started going there was public transport to Swindon Stadium and many youngsters aged 18 had cars, that is not the case these days.

• Like 1

As a 40 year fan of speedway I think unfortunately the end is nigh and it's too late for Speedway in the UK. After dabbling at a semi pro level I turned my hand to sponsorship manangement with various riders. Then into the music at various tracks and finally presenting. I was also involved in the hugely popular BIKERfm Speedway Show which whilst I was involved was getting a peak listenership of approx 20,000 listeners each week because it was edgy and dared to go where others wouldn't. But the show was seen as a threat by the powers that be and they did everything they could to mess it up. The only way to in my opinion to bring back the crowds in the UK would be a huge cash injection, sell it as a dangerous sport, stage manage it in respect to entertainment but not results a bit like wrestling, and a global brand sponsor. But I know unfortunately that none of this will ever happen. I attended one meeting in 2015 compared to a usual 100+ and in 2016 the only match I will go to is Coventry's last home meeting if it really is their final season. When die hards like myself give up who have it in their blood what hope is there of capturing new recruits. Enjoy it while you can and best wishes to everyone for 2016.

• Like 2

I did mention it on here before,but my (at the time)10 year old son watched speedway on Eurosport last season.The only thing that interested him was the fact that in 2 or 3 heats running the rider wearing yellow crashed.he thought that was interesting,but once that didn't happen any more he just said "they are just riding round in circles!" and won't watch any more and wild horses couldn't get him or his sisters to a live meeting......

Don't they want to support their local team?
  • Like 1

Don't they want to support their local team?

One of my daughters and my son support their local football teams.My daughter,quite fanatically and my son regularly and watches wrestling on youtube etc like mad

I did get them in the car and didn't say I was going to speedway.They kept asking where we were going and when I told them,they made such a hoo-ha in the car that I gave up.My one and only attempt to get them to see a meeting live

A friend of mine who is a trainer at one speedway club told me if I brought my son he would kit him up and let him go on one of the 50cc bikes.I thought at least having a ride on a motorbike would excite him,but he didn't want to know :neutral:

Edited by iris123