British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
norbold

List Of My Top 20 Riders Of The 1960s

Following on from Steve's very interesting post on the top 20 riders of the 70s, 80s and 90s, I thought I'd make a contribution on the 60s for us oldies. I first went to speedway in May 1960, so was a keen supporter for the whole of the 1960s. Again,like Steve, this is really my own list of the top 20 in no particular order (apart from the no. 1 of course ;))and from the top of my head without looking up any records.

Ove Fundin

Barry Briggs

Peter Craven

Bjorn Knutson

Ronnie Moore

Ivan Mauger

Igor Plechanov

Gote Nordin

Nigel Boocock

Ken McKinlay

Mike Broadbank

Sverre Harrfeldt

Eric Boocock

Ron How

Edward Jancarz

Antoni Woryna

Bengt Jansson

Charlie Monk

Martin Ashby

Ray Wilson

• Like 4

Do you know, Rob, as soon as I posted the list, I metaphorically smote my brow, and thought, "Arne Pander!" Then I thought I'd wait to see who would be the first to mention my omission!

Congratulations, it was you, Rob.

• Like 1

Following on from Steve's very interesting post on the top 20 riders of the 70s, 80s and 90s, I thought I'd make a contribution on the 60s for us oldies. I first went to speedway in May 1960, so was a keen supporter for the whole of the 1960s. Again,like Steve, this is really my own list of the top 20 in no particular order (apart from the no. 1 of course ;))and from the top of my head without looking up any records.

Ove Fundin

Barry Briggs

Peter Craven

Bjorn Knutson

Ronnie Moore

Ivan Mauger

Igor Plechanov

Gote Nordin

Nigel Boocock

Ken McKinlay

Mike Broadbank

Sverre Harrfeldt

Eric Boocock

Ron How

Edward Jancarz

Antoni Woryna

Bengt Jansson

Charlie Monk

Martin Ashby

Ray Wilson

I was tempted to add Edward Jancarz to my list...a very classy rider for Wimbledon. Shame he didn't ride regularly in Britain until quite late in his career. I recall Oxford attempting to sign Sverre Harrfeldt in 1972 but, personally, I feel that was Dave Lanning hyping things up! Some great names there and I always thought that Ron How didn't get the true recognition that he truly deserved.

I saw Ken McKinlay, Mike Broadbank and Charlie Monk during the seventies and felt it sad, certainly in Ken's case, that their best days were somewhat in the past. 'Hurricane Ken', however, was one of my favourites in the 'Rebels' team of 1972 before finishing his career at Scunthorpe.

I remember Toni Woryna riding at Cowley for Poole in 1974 and being involved in the race that ended Odd Fossengen's career. Toni drifted a wee bit wide entering the first bend forcing Ulf Lovass to bale out and his riderless bike picking up poor Odd, who had started from an outside grid, and ending up in the fence breaking his leg.

Edited by steve roberts

I saw Ken McKinlay, Mike Broadbank and Charlie Monk during the seventies and felt it sad, certainly in Ken's case, that their best days were somewhat in the past.

I know what you mean. I saw some real greats from speedway's Post-War Golden Age when I started going. Riders like Split Waterman, Jack Young, Aub Lawson and Graham Warren. The funny thing about both Split and Youngie though was that they did have a purple patch when they seemed to be right back to their world best, but, in each case, it only lasted a short time. The exception to this was Aub Lawson who seemed to be as good as ever every time I saw him.

• Like 2

Ove Fundin

Barry Briggs

Peter Craven

Bjorn Knutson

Ronnie Moore

Ivan Mauger

Igor Plechanov

Gote Nordin

Nigel Boocock

Ken McKinlay

Mike Broadbank

Sverre Harrfeldt

Eric Boocock

Ron How

Edward Jancarz

Antoni Woryna

Bengt Jansson

Charlie Monk

Martin Ashby

Ray Wilson

Great list "Norbold you have it on the money to be honest,good old Charlie Monk did he win the Wills? in 65 ? he was a very good rider.Out of interest "Norbold would Arthur Forrest nearly be in your 50s line up did you like and rate him.? Edited by sidney
  • Like 1

Out of interest "Norbold would Arthur Forrest nearly be in your 50s line up did you like and rate him.?

Following on from steve's lists, I compiled my 60s list as I watched speedway throughout the 60s and saw all these riders. If I were to compile a 50s list it would have to be based on records and hearsay rather than seeing them during that decade. Were I to do that, Arthur Forrest would certainly be included, but I never actually saw him as he retired at the end of the 1959 season.

Incidentally, another 1950s great I just missed was Brian Crutcher. At the very first speedway meeting I went to I bought a copy of Speedway World. The main headline was Crutcher announcing his retirement.

Edited by norbold
  • Like 1

Following on from steve's lists, I compiled my 60s list as I watched speedway throughout the 60s and saw all these riders. If I were to compile a 50s list it would have to be based on records and hearsay rather than seeing them during that decade. Were I to do that, Arthur Forrest would certainly be included, but I never actually saw him as he retired at the end of the 1959 season.

Incidentally, another 1950s great I just missed was Brian Crutcher. At the very first speedway meeting I went to I bought a copy of Speedway World. The main headline was Crutcher announcing his retirement.

You were unlucky Norbold bigtime my uncle raved on about Crutcher never took any notice at all researched his record decades later well.Forrest he retired really young didnt he was he 27/ 29.? a real racer gutsy. Edited by sidney
  • Like 1

I think the rider I would have liked to have seen but didn't would have been Jack Young. I know that Ivan Mauger learnt so much from him when he went on 'sabbatical' after his first venture in Britain. He appeared to have a perfect 'armchair' style and the looks of a film star!

I think the rider I would have liked to have seen but didn't would have been Jack Young. I know that Ivan Mauger learnt so much from him when he went on 'sabbatical' after his first venture in Britain. He appeared to have a perfect 'armchair' style and the looks of a film star!

Great style Jack had what a rider for me, Vic Duggan even ousted him style wise and later on Leigh Adams, ok Leigh did not win a WC what a style he had.I was lucky to see him everyweek a real treat he was like SIMMO they looked like they were racing in a armchair never in trouble in total control. Edited by sidney
  • Like 1

Great style Jack had what a rider for me, Vic Duggan even ousted him style wise and later on Leigh Adams, ok Leigh did not win a WC what a style he had.I was lucky to see him everyweek a real treat he was like SIMMO they looked like they were racing in a armchair never in trouble in total control.

Actually it does raise the question whether one prefers to watch riders who appear to be in total control or the ones that appear to hang off the bike? I guess it's a personal choice but personally I go for style...and Tommy Jansson took some beating!

Actually it does raise the question whether one prefers to watch riders who appear to be in total control or the ones that appear to hang off the bike? I guess it's a personal choice but personally I go for style...and Tommy Jansson took some beating!

Totally agree that Mike Patrick picture i have love the picture in red leathers presume most of us have or have seen it what a style.Looking back Tommy could of faced PC,Lee,Olsen Ivan at his peak how us the public missed out he would of won titles i am sure of it.
  • Like 1

You were unlucky Norbold bigtime my uncle raved on about Crutcher never took any notice at all researched his record decades later well.Forrest he retired really young didnt he was he 27/ 29.? a real racer gutsy.

Before I ever went to speedway I used to follow it in the newspapers and in various boys' magazines and annuals etc. When I was out playing on my bike with my friends I would always pretend to be one of my heroes from my reading, they were Split Waterman, Aub Lawson and Brian Crutcher. As I said above, the very first meeting I went to brought the news that Brian Crutcher had retired, so I was very miffed that I'd missed one of my heroes.

As for the other two, by a very strange quirk of fate, Split Waterman and Aub Lawson met in the first race I ever saw live. So my first night at speedway was strangely dominated by my three heroes!

As for Arthur Forrest, he retired at the very young age of 26.

• Like 1

Before I ever went to speedway I used to follow it in the newspapers and in various boys' magazines and annuals etc. When I was out playing on my bike with my friends I would always pretend to be one of my heroes from my reading, they were Split Waterman, Aub Lawson and Brian Crutcher. As I said above, the very first meeting I went to brought the news that Brian Crutcher had retired, so I was very miffed that I'd missed one of my heroes.

As for the other two, by a very strange quirk of fate, Split Waterman and Aub Lawson met in the first race I ever saw live. So my first night at speedway was strangely dominated by my three heroes!

As for Arthur Forrest, he retired at the very young age of 26.

As usual "Norb i got it wrong again!! with Arthur (age) not to worry eh! When only five years old my mate Gary Belcher can always remember him sliding around his slabs outside his kitchen on a chopper bike.With a Swindon race jacket on with No 1 on it with the name Barry Briggs on it i will never forget that, wish i had that race jacket now Happy Christmas Norbold to you and your family. Edited by sidney
  • Like 2

Happy Chistmas to you and your family too, sydney. I always enjoy our historical chats on here. :)

• Like 2