British Speedway Forum
Pinny

Notoriously Dirty Riders

In the pl over the last 20 years, weve seen many dirty riders as well as some hard but fair.

In the early 00s, we had a batch of riders who would go to another extreme to pass or defend their lead.

Paul pickering, phil morris, andre compton, sean wilson. They strike me as the four stand out dirty riders. Nothing against them, all entertainers, but some of their moves were borderline disgraceful.

Sure there are plenty more to add to the list over the past 20 years, el and pl!

Also whilst on subject, whats the dirtiest move youve seen in a race. I honestly cant pinpoint one, i remember smart and danny bird being horrendous in 03ish but that was more smart just over riding and being careless - nothing intentional.

This has the potential to be a very interesting thread - please no cretins like starman come on here and ruin it.

Edited by Pinny

How can you decide what is dirty, it's accepted practice to close gaps and it's accepted that some will make the effort to squeeze through or widen a gap to go through? If that action is the result of a rider declaring or thinking that "Joe Bloggs is in this race and I'm going to try and knock him off" then it's dirty but mostly it's just trying too hard or being prepared to take a few risks, without premeditation. Actually, with some of the threads being dreamed up recently, it would seem that too many people are short of something to do.

• Like 2

How can you decide what is dirty, it's accepted practice to close gaps and it's accepted that some will make the effort to squeeze through or widen a gap to go through? If that action is the result of a rider declaring or thinking that "Joe Bloggs is in this race and I'm going to try and knock him off" then it's dirty but mostly it's just trying too hard or being prepared to take a few risks, without premeditation. Actually, with some of the threads being dreamed up recently, it would seem that too many people are short of something to do.

Agree foamfence, how can you separate from dirty to hard riding. I can honestly say all the years ive been watching speedway i cant say ive witnessed a rider who has blatant knocked another rider off

In the pl over the last 20 years, weve seen many dirty riders as well as some hard but fair.

In the early 00s, we had a batch of riders who would go to another extreme to pass or defend their lead.

Paul pickering, phil morris, andre compton, sean wilson. They strike me as the four stand out dirty riders. Nothing against them, all entertainers, but some of their moves were borderline disgraceful.

Sure there are plenty more to add to the list over the past 20 years, el and pl!

Also whilst on subject, whats the dirtiest move youve seen in a race. I honestly cant pinpoint one, i remember smart and danny bird being horrendous in 03ish but that was more smart just over riding and being careless - nothing intentional.

This has the potential to be a very interesting thread - please no cretins like starman come on here and ruin it.

Christmas Day must've been a blinder round your house. :blink:

• Like 3

I wouldnt say the four riders above were dirty hard yes dirty no.

• Like 1

Agree foamfence, how can you separate from dirty to hard riding. I can honestly say all the years ive been watching speedway i cant say ive witnessed a rider who has blatant knocked another rider off

I never witnessed it, but Chris Morton has admitted to deliberately knocking off Alan Grahame in an accident in which Grahame broke his leg.

I'm sure he can't be the only rider to do it.

• Like 1

As much as he was brilliant to watch at his best,Gollob did make some diabolical moves across the track to block people

Think a guy called Ivor Brown was notorious back in the day and if I am right he was the only rider to make Ivan Mauger lose his cool and deliberately go out to get someone

Edited by iris123
  • Like 1

Christmas Day must've been a blinder round your house. :blink:

it was - however boxing day, which was when this post was written, wasnt as good as ive been sat on a coach most of the day travelling down to adelaide! Edited by Pinny
  • Like 3

As much as he was brilliant to watch at his best,Gollob did make some diabolical moves across the track to block people

Think a guy called Ivor Brown was notorious back in the day and if I am right he was the only rider to make Ivan Mauger lose his cool and deliberately go out to get someone

Yep, spot on Iris, Ivor Brown hard as nails in his Cradley Heath days

I never witnessed it, but Chris Morton has admitted to deliberately knocking off Alan Grahame in an accident in which Grahame broke his leg.

I'm sure he can't be the only rider to do it.

Would never have put Mort down to be like that, but there you go, every days a school day

Paul Hurry, The lad Goodwin from Arena, Steve Gresham, Roman Matousek, Ulrich Ostergaard are just a few that come into the hard/dirty category.

Matousek on Robert Nagy and Phil Morris on David McAllan both life threatening injuries. To this day David struggles to get through.

• Like 1

Can't remember who it was that ended Jan Steachmann's career,but I don't think Jan was too happy about the incident

Can't remember who it was that ended Jan Steachmann's career,but I don't think Jan was too happy about the incident

Yea, a few grey cells have retired since that incident, who's gonna jog our memories on this one....?

Edited by Shale Searcher

Yea, a few grey cells have retired since that incident, who's gonna jog our memories on this one....?

I apologise if I got the wrong name but was it Sean Wilson?