British Speedway Forum
Pinny

Notoriously Dirty Riders

Not sure if it got answered but it was Sean Wilson who had Staechmann off and ended his career.

Quite surprised to Pickering mentioned as dirty as I didn't pick up on it at the time and he never seemed to be overly forceful to me.  He was a 1 line rider though, out at the fence, so probably took a few out there with him.

There's world of difference between taking someone to the fence and putting someone through it though.

I get the impression that modern era riders think they have a divine right to pass someone and if they get taken to the fence it's dirty riding.

5 hours ago, Stoke Potter said:

Not sure if it got answered but it was Sean Wilson who had Staechmann off and ended his career.

Quite surprised to Pickering mentioned as dirty as I didn't pick up on it at the time and he never seemed to be overly forceful to me.  He was a 1 line rider though, out at the fence, so probably took a few out there with him.

There's world of difference between taking someone to the fence and putting someone through it though.

I get the impression that modern era riders think they have a divine right to pass someone and if they get taken to the fence it's dirty riding.

Agreed. Paul suddenly gained a lot of speed when he was at Reading and not all riders thought that was fair. :rolleyes:

Can anybody remember the details of the crash that badly finished his career ?

7 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

Agreed. Paul suddenly gained a lot of speed when he was at Reading and not all riders thought that was fair. :rolleyes:

If I recall correctly it was at Hull, possibly coming out of the second bend on to the back straight, ran out of space on the outside (Hull was very narrow?) and his arm was very badly smashed.  Happy to be corrected, all from what I recall hearing/reading at the time, I didn't actually see it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tsunami said:

Didn't Pickering put Kenny Bjerre through the fence at Brough one time? 

Also remember Sean Wilson T-boning Robert Erikson I think when he was our number 1?

Andre Compton was always a bit of a "goon" to use an Ice Hockey term. Remember at Reading when Phil Morris was furiuos in the pits after Compton passed him in no uncertain questionable fashion on the track.

Malcolm Ballard, now that name is a blast from the past. Number 8 to Number 1 in one season. The second half finals in 1971 and 1972 at Eastbourne were like stockcars. I don't think he liked the Kennett's much. Reg Trott appeared to carefully avoided making the final!

I remember a punch up in an Inter divisional 4TT between Malcolm and Dave Kennett in 1972.

Mitch Shirra and Steve Gresham were 'hard' racers.

If I remember correctly wasn't there a Golden live TV moment when Andre Compton won the PLRC. Being interviewed in what looked like a large Gazebo and some fan poked his head through and shouted something that implied AC had hairy palms.

4 hours ago, bloom89 said:

Didn't Pickering put Kenny Bjerre through the fence at Brough one time? 

Also remember Sean Wilson T-boning Robert Erikson I think when he was our number 1?

Yes I think he did. Pickering did some funny moves and was too fast at times. When he joined Reading he suddenly shot up the table to be one of the highest average  riders in our League.

In the race in 1999 Wilson, who later took the track record a few years later, missed the gate and was left trailing by the usual fast start Robert in heat 1. Derroll Keats followed him down the back straight and Wilson turned it on, passed Derroll on the back straight and by the time he got to the third bend he was going too fast to properly turn, and just went straight on and hit Robert midships.  Robert flew off the bike, landing on his shoulder when he came down. Broken collarbone for Robert and an exclusion for Sean. It was one of the plainest example of a rider just going for the rider and not only should he have been excluded, he should have gone from the rest of the meeting. Unfortunately the ref chickened out and it meant we had to use Dave McAllan for Robert's replacement for the rest of the meeting, but Sean was allowed to stay in the meeting and contributed to our loss on the night. I think I took Robert to the airport home are we had been to the hospital. Being retired I was the one that got those jobs, with both George and Peter working.

The worst dirty riding I have seen was the deliberate fencing of Christian Henry on the 4th bend by Magnus Zetterstrom in the early 00's. Christian hurled into fence probably not knowing what had hit him. This time, the ref Stuart Wilson, applied the not often used rule to exclude Magnus, who was not concerned what he had done,  from the rest of the meeting. Poor Christian wasn't up to riding after that, having lost a big chunk out of his bum flesh hitting the fence. Horrible smash, only followed by Rene's big smash many years later at the exact same spot.

Edited by Tsunami
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Andre Compton was always a bit of a "goon" to use an Ice Hockey term. Remember at Reading when Phil Morris was furiuos in the pits after Compton passed him in no uncertain questionable fashion on the track.

Yes, Andre did get himself a bit of a reputation. I was at that meeting BTW. Hard as nails he never backed off, as seen at Lakeside when an Arena rider was going round all the riders on the outside of the 1st and 2nd bends, when Andre went to the fence and the Arena rider when through the fence and took several sections of the fence with him.  All 4 back. :rolleyes:  

Edited by Tsunami
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

Yes I think he did. Pickering did some funny moves and was too fast at times. When he joined Reading he suddenly shot up the table to be one of the highest average  riders in our League.

In the race in 1990 Wilson, who later took the track record a few years later, missed the gate and was left trailing by the usual fast start Robert in heat 1. Derroll Keats followed him down the back straight and Wilson turned it on, passed Derroll on the back straight and by the time he got to the third bend he was going too fast to properly turn, and just went straight on and hit Robert midships.  Robert flew off the bike, landing on his shoulder when he came down. Broken collarbone for Robert and an exclusion for Sean. It was one of the plainest example of a rider just going for the rider and not only should he have been excluded, he should have gone from the rest of the meeting. Unfortunately the ref chickened out and it meant we had to use Dave McAlan for Robert's replacement for the rest of the meeting, but Sean was allowed to stay in the meeting and contributed to our loss on the night. I think I took Robert to the airport home are we had been to the hospital. Being retired I was the one that got those jobs, with both George and Peter working.

The worst dirty riding I have seen was the deliberate fencing of Christian Henry on the 4th bend by Magnus Zetterstrom in the early 00's. Christian hurled into fence probably not knowing what had hit him. This time, the ref Stuart Wilson, applied the not often used rule to exclude Magnus, who was not concerned what he had done,  from the rest of the meeting. Poor Christian wasn't up to riding after that, having lost a big chunk out of his bum flesh hitting the fence. Horrible smash, only followed by Rene's big smash many years later at the exact same spot.

Totally forgot about the Zetterstrom incident! Was an awful move that one.... James Grieves managed to do a Craig Boyce on him though didn't he haha, yeah unfortunately Rene's was horrible too, don't think he ever got over that one massive shame because he looked like he was going to follow Kenni Larsen and move up into the top league etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tsunami said:

In the race in 1990 Wilson, who later took the track record a few years later, missed the gate and was left trailing by the usual fast start Robert in heat 1. Derroll Keats followed him down the back straight and Wilson turned it on, passed Derroll on the back straight and by the time he got to the third bend he was going too fast to properly turn, and just went straight on and hit Robert midships.  Robert flew off the bike, landing on his shoulder when he came down. Broken collarbone for Robert and an exclusion for Sean. It was one of the plainest example of a rider just going for the rider and not only should he have been excluded, he should have gone from the rest of the meeting. Unfortunately the ref chickened out and it meant we had to use Dave McAlan for Robert's replacement for the rest of the meeting, but Sean was allowed to stay in the meeting and contributed to our loss on the night. I think I took Robert to the airport home are we had been to the hospital. Being retired I was the one that got those jobs, with both George and Peter working.

I remember that incident. He'd pulled a similar manoeuvre the previous evening at Berwick can't remember rage rider involved but I do remember the " Red Card " incident at BP the next night 

• Like 1

I'm sure I've commented before but Simon Cross was often guilty of 'over riding'.

Zetterstrom was one of the consistently nasty riders i've seen.

back in the 80s it was Preben Eriksen

• Like 1

Ove  Fundin