British Speedway Forum
Pinny

Notoriously Dirty Riders

a lot of the examples used on this thread are of specific incidents!....I would say a lot of them are acts of repercussions for the "innocent" rider being targeted for something that had happened previously.....some riders were renowned for having a little black book in the tool box!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sidney the robin said:

But Al was no saint either GiveusaB.

Alan was hard, but not dirty imo Sid !? having said that, I was only a kid when he was in his prime, so I wouldn't of had the knowledge to make judgement? :t:

As for CM? he admitted that he 'done' Big Al, simply because he wanted to knock him down a peg or two!

Over the years you see so many you would consider hard but not necessarily dirty. The worst bit of sportsmanship I have ever seen however was from the talentless Rosco . Rosco had little ability but occassionally could gate. On one particular night at Oxford he made the start in front of the recovering from a serious injury Andy Hackett. Hackett, after taking a year out from injury, was just starting to find his feet again. Rosco leading coming out of the fourth bend was struggling to hold Hackett off. As Hackett tried to over take going down the straight, Rosco turned right into the fence. Hackett never had a chance and never rode again, career over. Ironically,  Rosco later signed for Oxford but was never accepted and never seemed to understand why.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Daniel Nermark could ruffle a few feathers when he was in the mood

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/30/2020 at 12:22 PM, Odds On said:

a lot of the examples used on this thread are of specific incidents!....I would say a lot of them are acts of repercussions for the "innocent" rider being targeted for something that had happened previously.....some riders were renowned for having a little black book in the tool box!

These little black books didn't always have other riders name in though did they.:D

On 1/29/2020 at 8:04 PM, GiveusaB said:

Chris Morton on Alan Grahame 1976

I've  read a lot about that incident - it just seems to be so out of character for Mort, who was / is a genuinely nice guy ( I know him quite well). Was there any 'previous' between them or something happen earlier in the meeting? Not making excuses for what seemed pretty nasty, just interested in the background.

20 minutes ago, Garry1603 said:

I've  read a lot about that incident - it just seems to be so out of character for Mort, who was / is a genuinely nice guy ( I know him quite well). Was there any 'previous' between them or something happen earlier in the meeting? Not making excuses for what seemed pretty nasty, just interested in the background.

Chris mentions the incident in his book and  again in "Backtrack" in that he admitted that the only time he deliberately knocked off an opponent was an early skirmish with Birmingham's Alan Grahame - a pre-meditated act that he very much regretted and never repeated. Apparently Grahame had been particularly robust and Chris saw the "red mist."

• Like 2

I think there were seven dirty Coventry riders at Poole after the 2010 Elite League Grand Final............

Edited by RobMcCaffery
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 1/24/2020 at 8:27 PM, E I Addio said:

Even Vissings friend and flat mate Henning Beger said Vissing was a looney and on and off track had a few screws loose.

Remember a coming together between Vissing and I want to say Chris Neath at Rye. Vissing somehow ended up on the other side of the fence which was bowed to about half its usual height, he got up and ran to hurdle what was left of the fence but his feet didn’t clear it and he face planted. 

• Like 1