British Speedway Forum
Pinny

Notoriously Dirty Riders

I'm surprised that nobody as mentioned the late Tony Childs yet 

But why stick to riders there have been a few promoters that have done naughty things over the years Ian Thomas for one ( Anybody got a doctored tape measure I can borrow)

• Like 1

If we are getting into promoters then I can fill the next three pages at least with the wrongs Mike Parker did to both Speedway and Stock Cars while also doing some good as well.

Some of the hardest riders I ever saw was when the Russian team came to Poole , versus Great Britain, they started by going on the green light straight through the tapes, , once that was sorted they set about demolishing the fence(not air) and the GB team, can still picture Nigel Boocock in mid air with his bike on the pits corner, they (the Russians) just kept getting up and riding on until I think they ran out of bikes, was sure that they would kill themselves or someone else.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, GiveusaB said:

Has Pete Jarman's name been mentioned?:t:

I recall that "Speedie" and "Joe" Gooddy were mates whilst at Oxford and if one was 'messed around' by an opposition rider the other would sort them out.

• Thanks 1

On 2/1/2020 at 6:15 PM, Garry1603 said:

I've  read a lot about that incident - it just seems to be so out of character for Mort, who was / is a genuinely nice guy ( I know him quite well). Was there any 'previous' between them or something happen earlier in the meeting? Not making excuses for what seemed pretty nasty, just interested in the background.

I was at that meeting. Memory's fogged now but I think Grahame had taken 1 of the belle Vue riders to the fence. I was with a fellow Wolves fan and we said Wilkie will "sort" Grahame out, but it turned out that it was Mort who did.

• Like 2

On 1/28/2020 at 7:51 PM, steve roberts said:

Andre Compton was always a bit of a "goon" to use an Ice Hockey term. Remember at Reading when Phil Morris was furiuos in the pits after Compton passed him in no uncertain questionable fashion on the track.

Wasn't it Phil Morris who effectively ended David Mcallan's career? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bloom89 said:

Not sure...I didn't follow Phil Morris' career that closely being a "Cheetahs" fan. I only remember the incident at Reading (as a neutral) and was aware of Compton's reputation.

12 hours ago, bloom89 said:

It was Phil Morris, judge for yourselves if he was actually at fault.

I seen far far worse - just a racing incident that one

More to do with the narrow exits to the bends than anything else

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, screm said:

It was Phil Morris, judge for yourselves if he was actually at fault.

First time I've seen the incident therefore not aware of the outcome but I would have excluded Morris personally.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, steve roberts said:

First time I've seen the incident therefore not aware of the outcome but I would have excluded Morris personally.

I agree that excluding Morris was the correct decision, whether it was dirty however is a different matter.

• Like 5

Difficulty to judge on one camera angle. Other cameras in different positions might show things differently. But :- 

1. It was a slick track and Morris drifted wide on bend 4/lap 1 , as he did when the accident happened, and rode round the boards on lap two, so riding wide seems to be his chosen line.

2. Morris was in front at the time of the collision so should be able to pick his line.

3. It’s not clear whether Morris drifted wide because it was his chosen line or because he saw David out of the corner of his eye and drifted wide to block McAllans run round the outside, but there’s no reason why he shouldn’t.

Possibly a harsh decision to exclude Morris , but the referee was there and I wasn’t so I can’t argue about that but was it dirty riding ? It didn’t look like to me but I suspect only Phil himself knows the answer to that one.

A terribly tragic accident though, with dreadful life changing consequences for David ,and I really feel for him

• Like 7

1 hour ago, E I Addio said:

Difficulty to judge on one camera angle. Other cameras in different positions might show things differently. But :- 

1. It was a slick track and Morris drifted wide on bend 4/lap 1 , as he did when the accident happened, and rode round the boards on lap two, so riding wide seems to be his chosen line.

2. Morris was in front at the time of the collision so should be able to pick his line.

3. It’s not clear whether Morris drifted wide because it was his chosen line or because he saw David out of the corner of his eye and drifted wide to block McAllans run round the outside, but there’s no reason why he shouldn’t.

Possibly a harsh decision to exclude Morris , but the referee was there and I wasn’t so I can’t argue about that but was it dirty riding ? It didn’t look like to me but I suspect only Phil himself knows the answer to that one.

A terribly tragic accident though, with dreadful life changing consequences for David ,and I really feel for him

I guess we can all recall instances whereby the referee called a decision that didn't go down well with the fans (depended on whom one supported more often than not) but I recall a race involving Malcolm Ballard (now there's a controverisial character) and Howard Cole at Cowley in 1973. On entering the third bend "Mad Malc" was on the outside and Howard the inside when Ballard lent over him (no contact was made) and Cole dropped it. Malcolm was excluded for "boring" which apparently was covered in the rule book. You can imagine the uproar!

Edited by steve roberts

On 12/30/2015 at 7:54 PM, tyretrax said:

If you had seem Morris drive David through the fence at Ashfield you would not think it was hard riding. :mad: . Vermin would be too good a name for the thug, personally I think he should have been charged with G.B.H.

I was at that meeting it was disgusting what “Filthy Phill” did to David, absolutely shocking 

• Like 1

In 1986 Rye House had Kelvin Mullarkey and Rob Woofinden AS A PAIR.

This wins this thread hands down

• Like 1