British Speedway Forum
Pinny

Notoriously Dirty Riders

I'm sure Sam knocked David Howe off at Peterborough which resulted in a broken leg for David.

Also at the Ben fund at Rye House I remember Leigh Adams of all people being particularly hard on Nicki Pedersen resulting In Nicki ploughing through the fence

.....foamfence......Actually, with some of the threads being dreamed up recently, it would seem that too many people are short of something to do.

Not really as it passes the Winter away and this one seems interesting enough. The only genuine intentional dirty move I can remember is Mick McKeon and Mike Lohmann at a Belle Vue v Halifax match back in the 80's (I think) when both riders ended up in hospital. I can't recall now which rider started it off on one bend but the other one retaliated on the next one.

• Like 1

Having watched Sean Wilson for 3 years home and away every match I certainly wouldn't say he was dirty at all...I wouldn't have even particularly said he was a hard rider..not during that period of the early 90's anyway ..

• Like 5

I think N Pedersen is the only deliberately dirty rider I've seen. Many are guilty of bad judgement and over-riding, but it's rarely deliberate. Generally speaking, I think most of the top riders will be much harder on riders of equal ability than they would be on lesser riders, Nicki excepted. I seem to remember him being decked by his own junior team-mate Wayne Carter in the Brandon pits after one particularly nasty move.

Off-topic slightly, Sudden Sam has cropped up on here. Was it my imagination, or did he have a habit of inexplicably falling off on the 3rd/4th bends all by himself? I've seen him do it more than once at both Brandon & Monmore.

• Thanks 1

Dakota North deliberatly putting Ben Barker through the fence at Foxhall and Mick Poole doing the same to Mark Loram at Peterborough are 2 dispicable acts I've seen on a speedway track. I also remember Jeremy Doncaster in 1987 being hard on a young 16 year old Loram and Jeremy's wife refusing to talk to him after the meeting as she said it was awful what he did to a young rider

• Like 1

."Off-topic slightly, Sudden Sam has cropped up on here. Was it my imagination, or did he have a habit of inexplicably falling off on the 3rd/4th bends all by himself? I've seen him do it more than once at both Brandon & Monmore."

Sam did that a few times at Hull, Craven Park in 1999 also. He was mostly brilliant though and performed some breath-taking passes too. Go figure....

Edited by Martin Mauger

As much as he was brilliant to watch at his best,Gollob did make some diabolical moves across the track to block people

Think a guy called Ivor Brown was notorious back in the day and if I am right he was the only rider to make Ivan Mauger lose his cool and deliberately go out to get someone

I saw Ivor Brown on numerous occasions way back when and can't say I remember him being dirty. Determined and forceful yes and worth the admission price to see him.

• Like 1

Magnus Zetterstrom putting Christian Henry through the fence.. Ref kicked him out of the rest of the meeting.. And Ben Powell letting go of his moving bike and letting it plough into Kenni Larsen after a race had ended

Edited by KEITH M
  • Like 2

Carl 'The Spear' Askew was a tough uncompromising competitor. Robert Holllingsworth had less than complimentary things to say about him in an interview some years ago!

Magnus Zetterstrom putting Christian Henry through the fence.. Ref kicked him out of the rest of the meeting.. And Ben Powell letting go of his moving bike and letting it plough into Kenni Larsen after a race had ended

Saw the incident with Ivor Brown and Mauger in about 1963 and it was dirty from both riders. Brown was brutal on Mauger on the Saturday at Cradley putting him deliberately in the fence. On the following Monday at Brough got his revenge. Mauger was inside Brown and Bill Andrew was on the outside of Brown. Mauger had told Andrew what was going to happen, and advised him to keep out of the way. Tapes up and Andrew made a good gate. Mauger took Brown to the fence and into it, but unfortunately Bill Andrew got it as well. The only real time I saw Mauger really fired up and dirty.

In 1999, Sean Wilson in third place hehind Derrol Keats on the back straight, went under him and made no attempt to turn and drove straight into Robert Erikson mid 3rd/4th bend, wrecking his bike and breaking Robert's collarbone. Sean excluded but allowed to continue in the meeting, and we had to use I think Dave McAllan for the rest of the meeting. Ended as a draw in a meeting we should have won. Sean notoriously hated foreign riders and regularly used to go for Bjarne. One of the dirtiest riders around. Ask Peter Carr after his second bend tumble in a PLRC at Sheffield.

Agree with Keith above about the Zorro crash with Christian Henry. Zorro's footrest tore a chunk out of Christian's bum in what was a blatant fencing by a rider with a reputation for doing the same before and after. Congrats to Ref Stuart Wilson for having the guts to exclude Zorro from the meeting as he reset a precedent to exclude riders for a whole meeting.

Edited by Tsunami
  • Like 2

Ludvig Lindgren making no attempt to turn into corner three and taking Kim Jansson straight through the safety fence in Sweden giving Kim Jansson a broken thigh

."Off-topic slightly, Sudden Sam has cropped up on here. Was it my imagination, or did he have a habit of inexplicably falling off on the 3rd/4th bends all by himself? I've seen him do it more than once at both Brandon & Monmore."

Sam did that a few times at Hull, Craven Park in 1999 also. He was mostly brilliant though and performed some breath-taking passes too. Go figure....

I also noticed that at the time, and he also did it in Monday night TV meetings. He seemed to occasionally have balance problems and slid off for no reason to blame. Never a bad 'off' just a slide off.

I also noticed that at the time, and he also did it in Monday night TV meetings. He seemed to occasionally have balance problems and slid off for no reason to blame. Never a bad 'off' just a slide off.

I recall seeing Sam at Poole in 1984 when, having worked his way thru' from last to second, he fell off on his own accord.