British Speedway Forum
Pinny

Notoriously Dirty Riders

As much as he was brilliant to watch at his best,Gollob did make some diabolical moves across the track to block people

Think a guy called Ivor Brown was notorious back in the day and if I am right he was the only rider to make Ivan Mauger lose his cool and deliberately go out to get someone

That's why Boycie gave him a set of fives in 1995 hackney

I remember when in a last heat decider at newport andre compton completely stuffed mads korneliussen into the second bend fence as mads was about to pass him, no doubt in my mind that he totally intended to put him over the fence. That was a meeting packed with controversy!

In the pl over the last 20 years, weve seen many dirty riders as well as some hard but fair.

In the early 00s, we had a batch of riders who would go to another extreme to pass or defend their lead.

Paul pickering, phil morris, andre compton, sean wilson. They strike me as the four stand out dirty riders. Nothing against them, all entertainers, but some of their moves were borderline disgraceful.

Sure there are plenty more to add to the list over the past 20 years, el and pl!

Also whilst on subject, whats the dirtiest move youve seen in a race. I honestly cant pinpoint one, i remember smart and danny bird being horrendous in 03ish but that was more smart just over riding and being careless - nothing intentional.

This has the potential to be a very interesting thread - please no cretins like starman come on here and ruin it.

Your forgetting Mick Powell's move on Emil Lindqvist bend 4 at Newport there Pinnny lad.......

and the resulting stamp on the shoulder that pretty much ruined his career!

that was a case of going after a rider if I've ever seen one

Your forgetting Mick Powell's move on Emil Lindqvist bend 4 at Newport there Pinnny lad.......

and the resulting stamp on the shoulder that pretty much ruined his career!

that was a case of going after a rider if I've ever seen one

I thought it was actually Emil who took off one of the glasgow reserves on the back straight? Yet somehow didnt get excluded but got back to the pit gate and all hell broke loose. Wasnt it that berk will beveridge who stamped on emils shoulder? That move without doubt finished Emil Lindqvist as a top rider - he had an amazing career ahead of him as well.

I remember Wato was sublime coming from 15 metres back in thick clouds of dust to win us that meeting, they were happy days!

I thought it was actually Emil who took off one of the glasgow reserves on the back straight? Yet somehow didnt get excluded but got back to the pit gate and all hell broke loose. Wasnt it that berk will beveridge who stamped on emils shoulder? That move without doubt finished Emil Lindqvist as a top rider - he had an amazing career ahead of him as well.

I remember Wato was sublime coming from 15 metres back in thick clouds of dust to win us that meeting, they were happy days!

There was so much dust he probably cut across the centre green or was it the centre dirt, to catch us. Never saw a track being watered with one 1inch hose, there was more pressure when I went for a piss.

There was so much dust he probably cut across the centre green or was it the centre dirt, to catch us. Never saw a track being watered with one 1inch hose, there was more pressure when I went for a piss.

He waa just on fire that day and was no stopping him, scored about 20 points i recall?

Your management and riders actions that day were an absolute disgrace, stamping over a young kids shoulder when hes been thrown to the ground. How beveridge escaped with only a fine is beyond me, and one of your managers or promoters trying to stick the boot in as well. Complete cowardly actions but we won the match and won the return at glasgow so justice was served!

I seem to remember that a Doctor was watching the meeting/crash on TV ? and went to the hospital as he had spotted something that he knew would be helpful to identify his injuries.

In the later part of his career Paul Pickering got a bit of a reputation for dirty moves. He came to Brough in about 2002 after being a junior with us, before he had gone to Bradford. He was a trapper and held off KB for three laps, with KB trying the inside line. On the last lap, KB tried to do a full swoop around the outside of the 4th bend, and Pickering just drove to the fence and forced him into it. KB came off with a very damaged bike, and a helmet full of blood. We got his helmet off, and he had bit through his tongue, which was bleeding badly. Eventually got some orange drink for him to wash his mouth out and off to hospital. Pickering excluded.

I have that meeting Ts can you remember the other controversies in it ha ha? I can!!

your actually right I think it was someone hit him off waiting to go into the pits as a head lock came in at the same time!!!

too many Xmas beer blurring the memory!!

your actually right I think it was someone hit him off waiting to go into the pits as a head lock came in at the same time!!!

too many Xmas beer blurring the memory!!

He was on his way back to the pits when someone headlocked him and he was wrestled to the floor by about half a doZen glasgow riders and management, once on the floor was repetitively kicked in the head and shoulder.

I think he came back a few weeks after when his injury had healed and i am pretty sure he had a clash with pickering now youve mentioned it, on turn four at newport. I think that was a season ending crash?

Still, beveridge was fully to blame for his recurring shoulder injury.

I have that meeting Ts can you remember the other controversies in it ha ha? I can!!

I can't Michael, giz a clue. :P

nicki pedersens brother ronni was vermin on a bike imo.

phil morris was the southern equivalent of james grieves, both very tough hard riders but i wouldnt go as far as dirty

A while back in Speedway Star, My hero Dougy Flyer Wyer admitted bringing Martin Ashby off on purpose, as payback for something that happened previously in another meeting, can't remember the full details(someone will tell us)....A lso for anyone who hasn't seen it Type Roman Matousek v Sean Wilson into Youtube...absolute Gold!

phil morris was the southern equivalent of james grieves, both very tough hard riders but i wouldnt go as far as dirty

Phil Morris wasn't dirty just out of control.

I enjoyed watching Ronni Pedersen, never had him down as vermin but guess some people see things differently.

wood , wire, metal fences, and Jim Squibb....don't try the outside

Squibbo...the darling of The Ole Kent Road, and my fav New Cross rider in 1963.

That Ryan Fisher is a dirty sod

If you had seem Morris drive David through the fence at Ashfield you would not think it was hard riding. :mad: . Vermin would be too good a name for the thug, personally I think he should have been charged with G.B.H.

• Like 3