British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
PolskiZuzel

The 2016 Speedway Best Pairs Cup

The case is not "to 'win' a heat advantage". The case is to collect maximum points in whole meeting!

If it is boring to you, you should change sport you are interested in...

I've already said Pairs is not for me in its current scoring format because it lends to boring racing.. Try reading the posts correctly.

If you like Pairs good luck to you, I don't.

Yes but don't get as many points that way! OK they could settle for that but not necessarily ....

Exactly !!

Totally agree with you and Iris, Trees. Always enjoyed Pairs meetings and riders who look for their partner in Pairs and Team meetings always receive my seal of approval.

Whilst I would prefer a national team based World Pairs event, maybe the advent of this new Pairs format will help attract new sponsors into the sport and bring it in line with other forms of team motor sports.

Who's going to be interested in watching or sponsoring a mickey mouse event with made-up teams? It would be better if it took the form of domestic teams racing in some sort of international cup.

• Like 1

Who's going to be interested in watching or sponsoring a mickey mouse event with made-up teams? It would be better if it took the form of domestic teams racing in some sort of international cup.

There is nothing stopping someone from Germany sponsoring three german riders and getting their company out on tv.Emil was on his way to his german sponsor yesterday.so it might be that a german company is sponsoring a made up team.The same goes for any country/firm.Any company that wants to get their name out there can do that by sponsoring a team.Personally I don't think they get much interest in their products anyway,it is more a self satisfying decision.I imagine they will get enough sponsors,though they won't be BP or Shell or Gazprom or Microsoft.

As for who wants to watch it,that is the same with any speedway.It is down to the line-up.As long as they have good riders then I will watch it on tv.Just like the Champions league,of course it isn't an important meeting or title,but can still have some great racing and that as fans is what we want

• Like 1

Totally agreee with Mr. Appelby. I couldn't care less for a competiton like this, with made-up Pairs/Pairs representing some obscure sponsors. It is a shame that such a "Mickey Mouse" competition gets prime time tv all over Europe on EUROSPORT, as it won't be worth much.

There is nothing stopping someone from Germany sponsoring three german riders and getting their company out on tv.

So speedway is reduced to being a television advertisement?

I've nothing against sponsorship, but it has to be sponsoring real things that people actually care about, not corporate entities.

• Like 1

My god, some of you lot realy have nothing better to do then moan around all day....

I think this can be a fun competition.

• Like 2

My god, some of you lot realy have nothing better to do then moan around all day....

It's what speedway fans do...

I think this can be a fun competition.

The issue was it masquerading as something it wasn't. If OneSport just ran it as the invitational international best pairs or something then no-one would grumble.

Formula 1 and MotoGP seems to do pretty well with their made up teams.

The issue was it masquerading as something it wasn't. If OneSport just ran it as the invitational international best pairs or something then no-one would grumble.

So who cares except BSI who only seems to whine for the sake of it rather then doing something themselves.

Edited by Ghostwalker
  • Like 3

Formula 1 and MotoGP seems to do pretty well with their made up teams.

Speedway isn't F1 and never has been, but F1 actually has engineering teams that were either acquired or sponsored. Virtually all current F1 teams have a long lineage in the sport.

So who cares except BSI who only seems to whine for the sake of it rather then doing something themselves.

Well I rarely defend BSI, but I can quite understand why they got miffed after buying the rights to the SGP and SWC for 21 years, only to have a renegade branch of the FIM sell the rights to another GP series and team event that potentially competes for television and sponsorship.

OneSpoprt ideed ran it as the invitational international best pairs events... with intention to turn it into fully fledged FIM World Pairs Championships. Back in 2013 One Sport put their idea and their money on the table, which did not please one of the FIM members who was associated with BSI. He not only blocked the idea of One Sport resurrecting World Pairs Championship but was also strongly against OneSport having anything to do with events in which SGP and SWC riders could compete. FIM, in order to comprise, allowed One Sport to stage SBPC but stressed that no one will be gaining rights to World Pairs Championships. The stalemate existed until the turn of 2015/2016 when OneSport was unexpectedly told that the World Pairs Championship will be staged by BSI. FIM message to OneSport did not mention possibility of any biding offers not only by OneSport but also by any other company. So once again FIM did a deal behind closed door with the good old friends.

• Like 3

exactly, just like formula 1, moto gp, mx gp, touring cars, formula E, etc etc no one wants to watch anything like that do they.

• Like 2

exactly, just like formula 1, moto gp, mx gp, touring cars, formula E, etc etc no one wants to watch anything like that do they.

Imo that will be the future anyway for international championships like SGP, SEC and SBPC.

So once again FIM did a deal behind closed door with the good old friends.

I'm not excusing the FIM's behaviour. There's something inherently not right about selling the rights for something like 18 years at a time apparently without doing any sort of open tendering, but equally allowing a subsidiary/associated organisation to run a similar competition which will potentially compete with the SGP.

Less of an issue if it's a completely different type of competition like the World Pairs or Club Champions Cup type thing, but OneSport and BSI are just Tweedle Dum and Tweedle Dee. I simply can't see that it's a good thing that the sport's governing body is selling off competitions to private promoters here, there and everywhere. If money is to be made, it should be made by those running speedway tracks who provide the bread-and-butter and develop the riders.

It demonstrates the collective short-sightedness of those running speedway tracks in all countries, but especially the countries running professional speedway, that they allow this state of affairs to continue seemingly without any murmur of discontent. BSI and OneSport do nothing that the sport itself couldn't do if the will were there, as did the F1 teams when they eventually worked out their sport wasn't being run for their benefit.

Edited by Humphrey Appleby

OneSpoprt ideed ran it as the invitational international best pairs events... with intention to turn it into fully fledged FIM World Pairs Championships. Back in 2013 One Sport put their idea and their money on the table, which did not please one of the FIM members who was associated with BSI. He not only blocked the idea of One Sport resurrecting World Pairs Championship but was also strongly against OneSport having anything to do with events in which SGP and SWC riders could compete. FIM, in order to comprise, allowed One Sport to stage SBPC but stressed that no one will be gaining rights to World Pairs Championships. The stalemate existed until the turn of 2015/2016 when OneSport was unexpectedly told that the World Pairs Championship will be staged by BSI. FIM message to OneSport did not mention possibility of any biding offers not only by OneSport but also by any other company. So once again FIM did a deal behind closed door with the good old friends.

As this is basically copypaste from sportowefakty late last week, can you please share/add to it By giving out the name?

For all the stick that OneSport get for, well let's be brutally honest, for being Polish, wouldn't British speedway be in a much better place if GoSpeed International Ltd (i.e. Terry Russell & wife - thanks R&R ) were to put as much effort into promoting speedway in this country as OneSport do in Poland and the rest of Europe? Amazing how much jealousy and envy they get in their necks just because they are doing something that is leaving British Speedway further and further behind whilst our authorities just "bah humbug" everything that happens east of the North Sea / English Channel.,