Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
Bunce

Speedway On Tv 2016

Does anybody have any idea what coverage we can expect on TV in 2016? It looks as if the GP World Championship and World Cup has been signed up by BT Sport in a 3 year deal with BSI, but no mention of which BT channel it will be on? I have free basic BT Sport 1 as part of my package with BT Broadband, so I'm hoping its on that channel. No mention yet of Eurosport continuing with Swedish Speedway on Tuesday nights, and I've heard nothing from Sky about League coverage for this year. If you have heard anything, then a post here would be most welcome.

I don't subscribe to Skysport as its too expensive, but I did use the "pay as you go" NOW TV for some matches last year. Expensive at £6-99 a match, but nice when my team are on the box when riding away.

BT Sport indeed have the SGP/SWC but have not made any statements about which channel will carry it. I expect it to be bundled with Moto GP which is restricted to the pay package of BT Sport 2/Europe so I fear you might be out of luck but, as I say, nothing's been announced yet.

Indications are that Eurosport have ditched the Swedish Speedway which given its poor commitment to regular coverage last year is sadly no surprise.

The SEC/Pairs was on a separate deal with Eurosport Poland for international coverage unlike the Grand Prixs so should be still on there this year.

As for Sky we are in the midst of a five year deal so I would expect there to be coverage as before.

Obviously no formal launches yet but BT are including speedway in their promos for the year ahead.

I really enjoyed the Swedish matches on Eurosport and barring one or two were much better than the EL on Sky.

• Like 2

I really enjoyed the Swedish matches on Eurosport and barring one or two were much better than the EL on Sky.

absolutely, great quality racing (majority of the time)

I fully agree about Sweden. They were excellent matches on the whole, on more technical tracks than the flat-out Polish ones. I don't think having washouts in the first two weeks helped Eurosport but by the end they clearly only showed it if they had completely run out of alternatives.

David Rowe did a great job on commentary too but Eurosport's typically chaotic scheduling didn't help matters.

• Like 1

Why can you not get BT Sport 2?

I just switched to BT and get all the sport channels included.

I'm aware of the websites that stream polish speedway on a Sunday afternoon but does anyone know where to find these on a kodi box?

I know I can run a cable from my laptop to the telly but would prefer to use kodi

thanks

From what I've been told from one of Eurosport's commentators, ES was very unhappy about the general production. Lot's of delays due weather and or crashes and etc

as well as general uncertainties regarding if/when a meeting would start due bad weather.

IMO these are hardly new things to league meetings, which doesn't have the forced "go aheadness" of GP-meetings, so perhaps it was a combination of bad luck

with the unusual amount of postponed meetings and poor research from Eurosport. Poor research in that sense that they perhaps didn't really knew what to expect

since anyone who regularly attends speedway knows that there will be delays and postponed meetings.

• Like 2

Hi Grachan, I have BT Infinity Fibre Optic Broadband and my phone line with BT. They include BT Sport "Lite" Free on my Sky Box, but that is only BT Sport1. I can upgrade the package to include the whole BT Sport package for an extra £5 a month, but I'm curious how you get all the BT sport channels, unless that was a special promotion for new customers? When the GP's were on Eurosport, that was part of my Sky package, so no extra cost. Therefore to watch them this year is going to cost me more money than last year. I've just double checked all this on the "My BT" part of their web site, so I know its correct in my case. I'll wait until I definitely know which channel the GP's will be on then decide if its worth the extra £5 a month. I know its not a lot, but the cost of TV just keeps going up and up, not ideal when I'm a pensioner!

• Like 2

Hi Grachan, I have BT Infinity Fibre Optic Broadband and my phone line with BT. They include BT Sport "Lite" Free on my Sky Box, but that is only BT Sport1. I can upgrade the package to include the whole BT Sport package for an extra £5 a month, but I'm curious how you get all the BT sport channels, unless that was a special promotion for new customers? When the GP's were on Eurosport, that was part of my Sky package, so no extra cost. Therefore to watch them this year is going to cost me more money than last year. I've just double checked all this on the "My BT" part of their web site, so I know its correct in my case. I'll wait until I definitely know which channel the GP's will be on then decide if its worth the extra £5 a month. I know its not a lot, but the cost of TV just keeps going up and up, not ideal when I'm a pensioner!

It may be. They were billing it as a January special deal, so it seemed a good time to switch.

I got BT Infinity for £12.50 a month, plus all BT sport channels and BT TV "starter" (whatever that is!!) for free. Plus a pre-paid mastercard loaded with £100 thrown in for good measure.

It's a 12 month contract, so I guess the price will go up after a year.

It may be. They were billing it as a January special deal, so it seemed a good time to switch.

I got BT Infinity for £12.50 a month, plus all BT sport channels and BT TV "starter" (whatever that is!!) for free. Plus a pre-paid mastercard loaded with £100 thrown in for good measure.

It's a 12 month contract, so I guess the price will go up after a year.

I can only see 3 months free BT sport on Sky from BT on their website. Then it costs £5 a month. It implies it's free for the 12 months but read the detail and it's only "free" for 3 months.

edit > ignore that. When you go ahead with it, you then get offered it for 12 months on a BT box.

Edited by SCB

From what I've been told from one of Eurosport's commentators, ES was very unhappy about the general production. Lot's of delays due weather and or crashes and etc

as well as general uncertainties regarding if/when a meeting would start due bad weather.

IMO these are hardly new things to league meetings, which doesn't have the forced "go aheadness" of GP-meetings, so perhaps it was a combination of bad luck

with the unusual amount of postponed meetings and poor research from Eurosport. Poor research in that sense that they perhaps didn't really knew what to expect

since anyone who regularly attends speedway knows that there will be delays and postponed meetings.

Sadly that sums up Eurosport....

They're fine with events that have continuous action and they can just stick on for hours to fill time like winter sports, tennis and cycling but anything that takes a little more production is sadly beyond them. It's ironic considering it started out as the sports service of Eurovision. (There's more to the European federation of broadcasters than a song contest).

All they had to do was monitor Premier Sports coverage before muscling in. Bear in mind that they were taking an international feed from CMore so obviously all the Swedish language presentation and interviews were lost to them and could only be filled by the endless 'locked-off' wide shots that should have been covered by ES' own presentation, ideally from a studio.

Poor research, as shown by the choice of Jack Burnicle as initial commentator, clearly originating with "Oh, he does bikes, he'll do". I do hope BT don't fall into a similar trap re commentary.

No, that's not a job application. Quite happy to leaver all that and all the baggage that comes with it to others now.

I'm aware of the websites that stream polish speedway on a Sunday afternoon but does anyone know where to find these on a kodi box?

I know I can run a cable from my laptop to the telly but would prefer to use kodi

thanks

There are add-ons to Kodi that allow the user to stream individual sports events and sports tv channels, just as you can using a normal web browser. It's not exactly an easy matter unless you're well-versed in the use of Kodi. There's plenty of help articles and You Tube videos out there.

Obviously this is as much of a 'grey' area as using websites.

Please bear in mind that although it uses Kodi the Speedway Portal is not part of this - it does not give links to live streaming. I'm sure Andy would prefer there to be no confusion over that since such a misunderstanding would compromise his good work.

Kodi is a very wide-ranging media player and of course can be adapted to all kinds of uses.

It does take a fair bit of work to understand it though.

Edited by rmc

PEARSON and Tatum will provide the commentary for BT's coverage of the SGP and SWC with BT taking the World feed as did Eurosport for the past three years.

Sky's domestic coverage continues this year.

PEARSON and Tatum will provide the commentary for BT's coverage of the SGP and SWC with BT taking the World feed as did Eurosport for the past three years.

Sky's domestic coverage continues this year.

That's good to hear, Philip following the concerns that Sky might block them from the world feed. I suspect BT's studio side will be excellent. The fear was that a general bike commentator would be used - a repeat of Eurosport's Burnicle error.