British Speedway Forum

CANNOT agree with much of that. Speedway is a career for these guys, not a hobby. They are not riding for expenses but a wage and hopefully the chance to invest for a long future when they stop.

There is plenty of evidence to suggest that what Joe Public wants to see is the top riders here. The trick is come up with something new that fits their schedule and appeals to the public.

I think your mentality on the subject is what is wrong with speedway, the sport needs its owners/promoters just as much as the top riders, if not I would say even more than the top riders......the top riders have creamed the sport and its sponsors for too long, the well has nearly run dry.

CANNOT agree with much of that. Speedway is a career for these guys, not a hobby. They are not riding for expenses but a wage and hopefully the chance to invest for a long future when they stop.

There is plenty of evidence to suggest that what Joe Public wants to see is the top riders here. The trick is come up with something new that fits their schedule and appeals to the public.

I think it more likely that those who respond would like to see top riders. Joe Public doesn't give a hoot. As far as "wage" goes, I have long thought that a semi-professional league, clustered around weekends (so riders can have off-track employment) was a likely future.

• Like 1

There is no trick needed merely enough money as you say it is not a hobby to these riders "cash " is king and quite right too they should get as much as they can but PLEASE don't blame schedules.

Agree with your first point - we cannot blame these riders, who are riding to earn a living not a hobby (National League excepted) as the cost of maintaining equipment and keeping up with latest regulations has increased way beyond revenues being generated in this country ..... even allowing for the Sky input.

Whilst "Joe Public" might want to see the top riders, the promoters have not got deep enough pockets (in the absence of enough revenue) to entice these top riders to ride in the UK.

The money on offer in Poland & Sweden (to a degree) seems to outweight what 99% of UK promoters can afford.

New ideas are indeed required .... but have been for a while now and one has to wonder if it will all be too little too late.

I hope not.

The EL ceased to be viable from the point where riders could make far more money racing in the GP and Poland at weekends, plus a few 'extras' in Sweden and Denmark rather than up to six days a week in Britain. It's taken far too long for the BSPA to realise this.

British speedway needs to stop kidding itself, rebuild from the ground up, not top down and by developing the sport make it capable of attracting these 'names' in the long term.

Having top international names may attract the odd speedway supporter but it's the outside world we need to attract and most of them have no idea who Tai Woffinden, Greg Hancock or Nicki Pedersen are.

Time indeed to stop living in the past, employ only riders who have a commitment to Britain and let the others go off and bleed the sport dry abroad - while the gravy train's still on the rails, that is.

If we are to try to get them to race here it clearly needs a very short series of meetings on high money to attract them - unlikely to be a league as we know it and running as an addition to the normal domestic season.

Edited by rmc
  • Like 4

Went to Anfield last weekend to see one of the Premier League cherished match. The place was heaving, full to the rafters. I would like to say the quality of the football was good, but I'd be lying. In fact it was probably the worse match I seen for some time.

The point I'm trying to make is that I paid £52.00 to watch that drabble, but because of the atmosphere and the occasion, I would do it all over again.......

Getting back to speedway, Of cause we want to see top riders, but to me to draw of big crowds, they will only go regular if they are treated to a good night of entertainment , with excitement and atmosphere, and that is down to the promotions..... ........

• Like 3

The EL ceased to be viable from the point where riders could make far more money racing in the GP and Poland at weekends, plus a few 'extras' in Sweden and Denmark rather than up to six days a week in Britain. It's taken far too long for the BSPA to realise this.

British speedway needs to stop kidding itself, rebuild from the ground up, not top down and by developing the sport make it capable of attracting these 'names' in the long term.

Having top international names may attract the odd speedway supporter but it's the outside world we need to attract and most of them have no idea who Tai Woffinden, Greg Hancock or Nicki Pedersen are.

Time indeed to stop living in the past, employ only riders who have a commitment to Britain and let the others go off and bleed the sport dry abroad - while the gravy train's still on the rails, that is.

If we are to try to get them to race here it clearly needs a very short series of meetings on high money to attract them - unlikely to be a league as we know it and running as an addition to the normal domestic season.

Spot on this is exactly what people need to realise the sport was changed for ever once Olsen got his hands on the world title by forming the SGP and the big money reared it's head in Poland ,Sweden and so on .

Went to Anfield last weekend to see one of the Premier League cherished match. The place was heaving, full to the rafters. I would like to say the quality of the football was good, but I'd be lying. In fact it was probably the worse match I seen for some time.

The point I'm trying to make is that I paid £52.00 to watch that drabble, but because of the atmosphere and the occasion, I would do it all over again.......

Getting back to speedway, Of cause we want to see top riders, but to me to draw of big crowds, they will only go regular if they are treated to a good night of entertainment , with excitement and atmosphere, and that is down to the promotions..... ........

Work with what you've got and concentrate on making the product you have better I have been to Sheffield a number of times over the last couple of years no super stars were present but great racing in a good stadium with fans who love their speedway and a credit to British speedway .

If we want to emulate football and cricket, perhaps we stage the EL playoffs and the EL final at Cardiff indoors in October all on one day! The Cardiff GP is undoubtedly the premier speedway event in the UK, perhaps in Europe and so why not build on that success? Just a thought.

As I said earlier we need in speedway what 20/20 has done for Cricket I was never a cricket fan until this foremat came along I started watching on Sky I then went to a match at Trent Bridge I paid £15 admission to sit were I liked other than members area I got 2 hours of none stop entertainment with 10 thousand fans in the ground all ages was there young and old alike now I'm interested in all foremats of cricket having never been a cricket fan until 20/20 now if speedway somehow could generate that kind of interest just imagine what it could do for the sport .

The other sport that has a kind of connection with speedway is Arenacross Uk again it's none stop entertainment all ages attended full stadium more expensive for a seat but it's a show from start to Finnish all ages race from kids to the pros and freestyle, I've been to the Sheffield event the last 3 winters 13 Feb is this years date - another thought I had was why in a speedway city why wasn't Sheffield speedway there with a stand ? talk about wasted opportunity. I'm not a marketing expert and I,m not sure how either 20/20 or Arenacross ideas could be used in a speedway foremat but they have ideas that speedway could use I would have thought , it's making a night out at the speedway special an event - that's been lost over the years- a slick show not watching tractors go round on a school night gettin kids involved.we need the big names back as well even if admission prices rise lowering the standard isn't the answer .

Surely if a massive company like IMG cannot market to entice folk to fill Cardiff for the SGP, what else is gonna work, let's see ...... I will always enjoy league racing, supporting my team, shame more don't do the same!

I'm sure many more would Trees if the product was right and at a sensible price.

HE was also approached years ago ... as was Bernie Ecclestone by his mate Barry Briggs who told him that the only way he would be interested was if he owned all the stadiums and all the teams. In others words, the sport needed a dictator in charge and he was probably right.

So sadly this will never happen will it?

Everyone can see that the sport is screaming out for a visionary akin to Hearn but the Promoters will never allow an 'outsider' to tell them how to run their business...

Imagine explaining to any 'Barry Hearn' who is looking to break into the sport that last season my team (BV) got to the play off final aided and abetted by three points they gained last May with their defeat of Lakeside away...

That night we had four guests. Therefore effectively the Aces had riders from (including their own) FIVE different teams representing them and assisting them to reach the final (of a supposed professional sporting competition)!

What successful sports administrator would risk their own reputation taking over a sport that actively encourages such nonsense by its very own fixture planning?

That situation, as we all know, isnt seen by the promoters as something in any way shape or form as being 'unusual' and again, as we all know, isnt an isolated incident when it comes to the sports lack of integrity when measured against other 'professional sports'...

An ever decreasing circle is surely the only future for what could be a great sport if only it was administrated with integrity and promoted with 21st Century technology and innovation..

Would Barry Hearn be interested in running the sport?

In its present situation I would suggest you would be lucky to get even Barry Chuckle involved..

Edited by mikebv

The fact is Speedway could be much bigger than it is, ANY sport could be. Look at what Matchroom has done with the Darts and also the way Eddie Hearn promotes boxing. Matchroom could make Speedway big, fact. Everything is a minority sport other than football, and there is a massive audience for the minority sports out there.

As I say, look at the job Matchroom have done with Darts at the PDC, and with Anthony Joshua in the boxing. I'd LOVE to see the Hearns involved in Speedway.

Listen to the first few minutes of Hearn here, in fact the whole thing is good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3NSpGE8dTY

Edited by damosuzuki