British Speedway Forum

well let's hope it happens ASAP if things carry on the way they are certainly EL speedway will be a thing of the past - let's get the top boys back over here even it means paying £20-£25 a meeting .

Do you really think the average supporter would be willing to even pay £20, let alone £25? Speedway is already too expensive so loads more would be lost to the sport. Getting the top riders back here is not the answer because for every fan that wants to see them there is another who isn't bothered who rides as long as the racing is entertaining. I fall into the latter category.

• Like 7

A really difficult decision Gemini,i would love to see the top boys back even if most can only do ten meeting's a season.But you are right i think we should cut our cloth accordingly try to get the product right entertaining value for money and use it to push some of our Brits through speedway i think is a 10/12 pound sport no more.

Edited by Sidney the robin
  • Like 5

Do you really think the average supporter would be willing to even pay £20, let alone £25? Speedway is already too expensive so loads more would be lost to the sport. Getting the top riders back here is not the answer because for every fan that wants to see them there is another who isn't bothered who rides as long as the racing is entertaining. I fall into the latter category.

I agree totally too many people think that the problems with the sport will go away if the Big Boys return ,all that will happen is what little money is left will disappear as they will again .

• Like 7

Went to Anfield last weekend to see one of the Premier League cherished match. The place was heaving, full to the rafters. I would like to say the quality of the football was good, but I'd be lying. In fact it was probably the worse match I seen for some time.

The point I'm trying to make is that I paid £52.00 to watch that drabble, but because of the atmosphere and the occasion, I would do it all over again.......

Getting back to speedway, Of cause we want to see top riders, but to me to draw of big crowds, they will only go regular if they are treated to a good night of entertainment , with excitement and atmosphere, and that is down to the promotions..... ........

Excellent post GRW, fully agree with you.

At the other end of the spectrum I am a season ticket holder at a non-league football club. The football is usually not great and there are no superstar footballers but the club is well supported and it is the great atmosphere created at the club that makes me get my wallet out every year and buy a ST.

Edited by TesarRacing
  • Like 1

I've said it before on other links but I don't think it would cost too much to keep fans entertained between heats. Here's some examples I have seen done at other sporting events:- fan quizzes, interviews with riders / managers on the infield, interviews with fans, fans running in zorba balls, kids running races (Glasgow do this successfully), junior tag rugby (a speedway equivalent could be cycling round a track once), live music (any up and coming local bands willing to pay for free publicity?).

Interact with fans, have family days where riders mix with fans, have photos taken, speak face to face with fans, have autographs, give kids a ride on the bike (is this allowed in the era of health and safety?).

And each club employ somebody who can promote the club to death. Each week should be a big build up to the meeting, getting more and more attention in local and social media as the week goes on. The more the public is aware of a club, the more chance is they are going to come along.

• Like 1

I've made this point before on the 'Barry Hearn' topic, but his success and business acumen has been with 'individual' sports - Snooker, Darts, Boxing - where he or his company manage, control and dictate to all (or most) of the participants and the venues that he promotes in. All those sports are also indoors (not sure if that is relevant when comparing to speedway?).

He - or a company like his - would need total control of speedway which could make it more of a 'sporting circus' ( a bit like the WWE in America and now worldwide) - not necessarily a bad thing but totally against many of the 'purists'.

• Like 1

Yes.

And they do so on a regular basis when they think its the 'in' thing to do.

However, as long as the sport promotes itself on tv with empty stadiums, they will never think its the 'in' thing to do.

Yes.

And they do so on a regular basis when they think its the 'in' thing to do.

However, as long as the sport promotes itself on tv with empty stadiums, they will never think its the 'in' thing to do.

What price do you think is a fair price? do you think the diehard supporter is taken for granted Witcher.?

Speedway is mega cheap in comparison to other sports in the UK. At the end of the day there is no way ticket prices are going to drop to 10 or 12 quid.

And the purists / diehards won't keep the sport going. I get annoyed when people complain about the Razzmattaz etc - if it brings young people in then go for it.

Look at how Matchroom attract a new crowd to boxing - Stormzy rapping in the ring, DJs, massive entrances, singers - I'm not complaining because Glasgow are delivering the goods, but the kind of people who complain about the razzmattazz bemuse me.

Well I for one would be willing to fork out £20 - £25 a meeting if every EL team consisted of the so called 'stars' from 1 - 5 that are now ignoring the UK. I'd rather see heat after heat of say N Pedersen/Hancock/Woffinden/Holder than what we have now and if that costs me £20 - £25 then so be it.

Edited by chris4gillian

The thought that Hearn will be allowed to be involved is just wishful thinking, Ever since year DOT the promoters have ruled the roost. It is their baby and regardless of public opinion it will always stay that way. WE can always point fingers and blame others for every problem with our sport, but I think we British fans are very upper crust and reluctant to show our support, like other nations and sports......

Last year when Lynn played the Polish side, as soon as you went through the gate you sensed the excitement and the noise. Although there were probably a 100 or so they easily out voiced the Stars fans. Probably we should take a leaf out of their book. and be more vocal. I know we lost the match that night but it was one of the better meeting we attended last year.......

Its hard to generate a good atmosphere without the noise...

• Like 3

Hearn could do a great job for speedway but it will never happen,people also have to realise Hearn is a bit of a dictator.He has not been all good for Snooker a lot of decision's he has made have not all been totally popular what i would say is the man is great at making tough decision's and he has not stayed living in the the past like me😀😀

Edited by Sidney the robin
  • Like 1

Well I for one would be willing to fork out £20 - £25 a meeting if every EL team consisted of the so called 'stars' from 1 - 5 that are now ignoring the UK. I'd rather see heat after heat of say N Pedersen/Hancock/Woffinden/Holder than what we have now and if that costs me £20 - £25 then so be it.

The current following has a high percentage of older people, who either wouldn't or couldn't pay that, and it's likely you'd have to pay even more to get those names on board. Attention needs to start on a more modest set up, you can't grow things without good roots.

• Like 4

I pay £18 to watch CCFC and Wasps at the Ricoh Arena, £18 at Brandon would seem steep to a general sports fan compared to that.

• Like 2

As foamfence says, there is now way the current fan base will pay these kind of entrance fees. Equally, the sport will not attract new supporters at those prices with the current state of most stadiums/facilities/presentations. Top GP riders will not mean anything to new supporters.

I think the promoters have a real dilemma on their hands and I would not like to be in their shoes going forward. I can quite understand why they are looking at promoting the sport in the cheapest way possible and hoping they get enough fans in.

• Like 1