British Speedway Forum

Having read all these comments, I believe most are missing the point. The Main problem that exist with our sport is that we do not cultivate new supporters. The majority of the present fan base are those who have followed the sport for years.

The No1 priority for Barry Hearn, or anybody else for that matter, is to reach out to those people who have never heard or even thought about the sport.. Directing your sources to draw in the accomplished fans is one thing but the sport needs so much more........

There are people living in our village, only 10 miles away from Lynn, that don't know what a speedway track looks like......... But everyone knows what a football pitch is like, and where the nearest hospital is ??????

Fixture flyers??

Fixture flyers??

And thats what sets us appart from any other club. We at poole take flyers with acompanying fixture lists to all the camp sites in the area as well as a few hotels and Tourisum offices. every year before the season starts... ;)

Haven't read all of this but a few bullet points;

1. The current league structure was created in 1997, so in its 20th season.

2. Since that time top line speedway in the UK is unrecognizble

3. Both leagues have less teams and less variety than back then, EL being more drastic

4. Long term supporters generally know full well its not what is was

5. It's still a thrilling spectacle on track an any level when done right.

6. The situation of continually missing riders, more created within the PL / EL double up than overseas leagues, is the biggest departure from ideal within the sport

There is often talk of a independent body to run the sport. Not sure that'

s what needed, more I would suggest the league hires a consultant who is paid a fee from all teams for his pay and expenses. His job is to grow the sport, work on media, PR, giving clubs suggestions to increase attendance. If older fans have diminished through drifting away or passing away, perhaps the emphasis needs to be new fans? New fans wouldn't have the better times to compare to but could be sold the product as is.

These days there is more competition for your entertainment $ but speedway is definately unique and sellable. I think promoters are often too spread thin to really work the main thing they need to concentrate on - bums on seats (not trophies)

As far as 20/20 cricket and darts go with all their extra frills, oddly enough, speedway had such first - 2nd half races, match races, test matches and big individual contests to name but a few.

• Like 1

I'm just at the bottom of the 2nd page in this thread so apologies in advance if this is sort of duplicated by someone on the pages that follow.

Whilst I agree that more promoters should do more of what their title implies, that can't be the answer to the problem.

No doubt Mr Hearn has done wonders for snooker and boxing, and someone else has pulled darts out of the pub, but look at what they had to deal with. A green covered table (which you can put in any big room), a large platform surrounded by rope (which you can put in any big room) and a round disc marked into 20 sections that accompanies a rubber mat, and, surprisingly, you can fit that in any big room too.

It can be pretty easy for an accomplished showman to get a room full of people excited and create an atmosphere. Alot of speedway stadia are big so you need many many more people to create an atmosphere. They are also quite run down. They also have to deal with inclement weather. Would Mr Hearns' sports be as popular if the spectators had to sit in grubby chairs, use questionable toilet facilities or stand out in the cold?

Mr Ecclestone appears to want to own everything if he were to promote it. Look at what happens to the racing circuits that don't come up to scratch. They have to invest heavily to update their facilities or they can't have a GP ... and then they have to pay to have that!! But nearly every circuit that Bernie visits with his circus heaves with people over a three day period and the atmosphere is amazing. And that's another thing. It's a one-off, once a year experience that people are willing to pay for. The same can possibly be said for the Arenacross. A one off treat.

Speedway is a weekly/forntnightly event and if there's a family involved then that doesn't come cheap. Coupled with a lack of atmosphere, dodgy facilities, cold, damp nights, a lack of entertainment on the track, long gaps between races, (though not always) and old music (and why is that when, if you have a public broadcasting license, you can play anything you want!?) you can begin to see why we have a shortage of people through the gates.

Personally, I still enjoy speedway. I can put up with all of the above because I know what speedway can be. When it's right, I think it's the most exciting sport there is. What we need to do is make it right for the new ones that come through the gate ... but I don't think Mr Hearn or Mr Ecclestone will have all the answers for that problem ... and I don't think either of those two will come cheap.

PS, I've yet to watch the youtube clip with Hearn.

Think you will find that Barry Hearn was your man who also pulled darts out the Pub.

Think you will find that Barry Hearn was your man who also pulled darts out the Pub.

Darts was always gonna be simple, compared to Speedway!

You'd think BSI would have been able to do more within the media than they have for their competition, do they even try, Philip?

What got us hooked on speedway? What did we get from speedway that we didn't get from football or cricket or Rugby???

And what did it cost us to go to speedway when we first went? How did the costs stack up against other sports then?

Why don't we get newbies now, especially with all the TV exposure now, compared to when we started going down/up the speedway?

Generally, 4 blokes on 4 bikes, with no brakes for 4 laps of an oval of shale?

Why has speedway lost its way?

• Like 1

Darts was always gonna be simple, compared to Speedway!

You'd think BSI would have been able to do more within the media than they have for their competition, do they even try, Philip?

YES they do, especially around Cardiff time, but I have said many times on here that the National press is a very different animal now than it was when I worked in Fleet Street. Ironically, newspapers devote far more space to sport than they did 30 years ago but there is little interest in motorsport (other than F1) in general whether it be two or four wheels. Banging their heads against the proverbial brick wall.

It is vastly different in Poland, of course, and the Danish nationals still carry speedway in a significant way but don't think there is an awful lot in Sweden other than for the Stockholm GP.

Speedway doesn't sell newspapers... and even if you look at the Daily Mail online (the most viewed online newspaper in the world I believe) it is over 90 per cent football. Even cricket, golf and rugby are barely mentioned on a daily basis and tennis only when a Grand slam is on and Murray is involved.

• Like 1

What got us hooked on speedway? What did we get from speedway that we didn't get from football or cricket or Rugby???

And what did it cost us to go to speedway when we first went? How did the costs stack up against other sports then?

Why don't we get newbies now, especially with all the TV exposure now, compared to when we started going down/up the speedway?

Generally, 4 blokes on 4 bikes, with no brakes for 4 laps of an oval of shale?

Why has speedway lost its way?

Million Dollar Question,IMO from the entertainment point of view Technology has overtaken the sport in GB and most tracks are not suited to modern machinery.Follow the leader far to often .

YES they do, especially around Cardiff time, but I have said many times on here that the National press is a very different animal now than it was when I worked in Fleet Street. Ironically, newspapers devote far more space to sport than they did 30 years ago but there is little interest in motorsport (other than F1) in general whether it be two or four wheels. Banging their heads against the proverbial brick wall.

It is vastly different in Poland, of course, and the Danish nationals still carry speedway in a significant way but don't think there is an awful lot in Sweden other than for the Stockholm GP.

Speedway doesn't sell newspapers... and even if you look at the Daily Mail online (the most viewed online newspaper in the world I believe) it is over 90 per cent football. Even cricket, golf and rugby are barely mentioned on a daily basis and tennis only when a Grand slam is on and Murray is involved.

Just thought they'd have more clout in media circles. I'll never support them, ever. Edited by Trees

Haven't read all of this but a few bullet points;

1. The current league structure was created in 1997, so in its 20th season.

2. Since that time top line speedway in the UK is unrecognizble

3. Both leagues have less teams and less variety than back then, EL being more drastic

4. Long term supporters generally know full well its not what is was

5. It's still a thrilling spectacle on track an any level when done right.

6. The situation of continually missing riders, more created within the PL / EL double up than overseas leagues, is the biggest departure from ideal within the sport

There is often talk of a independent body to run the sport. Not sure that'

s what needed, more I would suggest the league hires a consultant who is paid a fee from all teams for his pay and expenses. His job is to grow the sport, work on media, PR, giving clubs suggestions to increase attendance. If older fans have diminished through drifting away or passing away, perhaps the emphasis needs to be new fans? New fans wouldn't have the better times to compare to but could be sold the product as is.

These days there is more competition for your entertainment $ but speedway is definately unique and sellable. I think promoters are often too spread thin to really work the main thing they need to concentrate on - bums on seats (not trophies)

As far as 20/20 cricket and darts go with all their extra frills, oddly enough, speedway had such first - 2nd half races, match races, test matches and big individual contests to name but a few.

Sadly Steve, there has been many marketing consultants employed over the years on behalf of the BSPA, and I don't think they ever answered the questions with anything new like you are suggesting.

• Like 1

It is interesting all the ideas and solutions for speedways crowd issues on this website and others, many very valid..

However, maybe this is the ultimate determining factor as to why crowds are so low?

I have been watching Speedway Portal tonight and one meeting was a Poole v Stoke match from 1987

Entrance fee to the stadium? £2.70..

Put this into an inflation tracker and £2.70 then is equivalent to £5.70 in 2015..

Not the circa £17.00 that many fans paid last year..

This equats to a 529% increase against a 28 year inflation rate of 111%...

Which means speedway admission has risen around 418% more than the 'cost of living'...

Basically we have had this as the business plan...

Year on year inflation busting price increases to cover spiralling out of control costs with the increase paid by an ever dwindling customer base, which in turn means an inflation busting price increase the year later to make up the shortfall, which in turn drives down the ever dwindling customer base...

Think it needs far more than Barry Hearn to 'rescue' a sport that for so long has operated in such an unbelievable way....

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 1

It is interesting all the ideas and solutions for speedways crowd issues on this website and others, many very valid however..

I have been watching Speedway Portal tonight and one meeting was a Poole v Stoke match from 1987

Entrance fee to the stadium? £2.70..

Put this into an inflation tracker and £2.70 then is equivalent to £5.70 in 2015..

Not the circa £17.00 that many fans paid last year..

This equats to a 529% increase against a 28 year inflation rate of 111%...

Which means speedway admission has risen around 418% more than the 'cost of living'...

Basically we have had this as the business plan...

Year on year inflation busting price increases to cover spiralling out of control costs with the increase paid by an ever dwindling customer base, which in turn means an inflation busting price increase the year later to make up the shortfall, which in turn drives down the ever dwindling customer base...

Think it needs far more than Barry Hearn to 'rescue' a sport that for so long has operated in such an unbelievable way....

Accompanied by the reduction in quality of riders on show to also help keep the sport going, it's like being on a life support machine, admission fees go up, the quality of the riders on display drops, just to be able to open the turnstiles....

Speedway in the UK, even at the highest level cannot support riders on a full-time, one team, at a time basis.

Crowds not big enough to pay riders wages at a level that would allow them to ride for just one team.. This over the years has eroded rider loyalty (can't afford to just ride for one team) I don't think riders are overpaid for the job they do, but, in the UK, the crowds are not big enough to pay what the job is worth.

• Like 1

Accompanied by the reduction in quality of riders on show to also help keep the sport going, it's like being on a life support machine, admission fees go up, the quality of the riders on display drops, just to be able to open the turnstiles....

Speedway in the UK, even at the highest level cannot support riders on a full-time, one team, at a time basis.

Crowds not big enough to pay riders wages at a level that would allow them to ride for just one team.. This over the years has eroded rider loyalty (can't afford to just ride for one team) I don't think riders are overpaid for the job they do, but, in the UK, the crowds are not big enough to pay what the job is worth.

Think your right about it being a full time job most riders that I knew back in the 70's in the old NL all had jobs except for the likes of the Owen Bros , John Jackson and alike plus that was supposed to be the the golden era !

Think you right Phil this country is obsessed with football we can expect no help from the media in that respect sadly

Edited by FAST GATER

Having read all these comments, I believe most are missing the point. The Main problem that exist with our sport is that we do not cultivate new supporters. The majority of the present fan base are those who have followed the sport for years.

The No1 priority for Barry Hearn, or anybody else for that matter, is to reach out to those people who have never heard or even thought about the sport.. Directing your sources to draw in the accomplished fans is one thing but the sport needs so much more........

There are people living in our village, only 10 miles away from Lynn, that don't know what a speedway track looks like......... But everyone knows what a football pitch is like, and where the nearest hospital is ??????

You make a fair point however,..

Telling a couple of newbies that they will part with around £40 of their joint disposable income to attend is I would suggest the biggest obstacle to overcome..

There are already thousands of 'ex fans' who know perfectly well where the sport is run as they used to go, yet they decide not to attend anymore...

Just getting the vast majority of them back would be a huge step forwards

That the sport cannot do this tells us pretty much where it sits...

As has been proved. Put on a '°freebie' and the place is packed.

With the vast majority in attendance I would say, being people who know the sport having attended previously, maybe even used to regularly, yet wont pay circa £18 to attend it as they cant justify that kind of outlay anymore...

Edited by mikebv

YES they do, especially around Cardiff time, but I have said many times on here that the National press is a very different animal now than it was when I worked in Fleet Street.=

Newspapers are mostly dying a slow death anyway, and are not medium for attracting a new younger audience.