British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Steve Shovlar

Old Cine Footage Of A Grass Track Meeting Late 1950's Early 60's

I was just having a look around youtube and discovered some very interesting grass track footage from the late 50's or early 60's.

http://youtu.be/zNPuBto758Q

Take a look at around 11.20 seconds. Somewhere near Gravesend in Kent. Anyone have any idea about it?

I was just having a look around youtube and discovered some very interesting grass track footage from the late 50's or early 60's.

Take a look at around 11.20 seconds. Somewhere near Gravesend in Kent. Anyone have any idea about it?

I just love these old films on youtube. There are some terrific gems to be found. It's a bit before my time of going to grass tracks but I can't remember any near Gravesend. Having said that, there are, or at least have been some very strong motorcycle clubs in the general area so could possibly be a few miles from Gravesend. I loved watching the whole film though. Shame about the poor quality of the film, which made it difficult to identify the bikes. They don't seem to have been power sliding very much so I would say it was maybe a smallish club event without any particularly outstanding riders, back in the days when it wasn't taken too seriously and the idea was simply to have fun. Great piece of memorabilia.

I just love these old films on youtube. There are some terrific gems to be found. It's a bit before my time of going to grass tracks but I can't remember any near Gravesend. Having said that, there are, or at least have been some very strong motorcycle clubs in the general area so could possibly be a few miles from Gravesend. I loved watching the whole film though. Shame about the poor quality of the film, which made it difficult to identify the bikes. They don't seem to have been power sliding very much so I would say it was maybe a smallish club event without any particularly outstanding riders, back in the days when it wasn't taken too seriously and the idea was simply to have fun. Great piece of memorabilia.

I note that the sidecars were going anti-clockwise, just like the solos. Couldn't be very easy, -

.. .and perhaps testifies that it was some small operation.

Big crowd there though. Could have been up the A2 and I am pretty sure you can see the coast/thames estuary just before the riders come into the bend.

This is part one of three 15 minute clips of the Gravesend area in the late 50's or early 60's. As a kid who lived there until I was six i remember parts of it.

I note that the sidecars were going anti-clockwise, just like the solos. Couldn't be very easy, -

I think that used to be the case . I remember as a boy going to watch my cousin who rode solos and passenger on a sidecar and I am sure in they were all going the same way at that time. I haven't been to a grass track for donkeys years so I don't know what they do now. I believe they go both ways.

Big crowd there though. Could have been up the A2 and I am pretty sure you can see the coast/thames estuary just before the riders come into the bend.

This is part one of three 15 minute clips of the Gravesend area in the late 50's or early 60's. As a kid who lived there until I was six i remember parts of it.

If it is the Thames Estuary you can see it could well be on the Isle of Grain , a few miles up the road from Gravesend. Plenty of spare land there especially in the 1960's and not many houses to complain about the noise, not that many people complained anyway back in the day. I rode in a few trials there and it was one of my favourite courses with a really good organising club but I cant remember which one it was now .

I haven't been to a grass track for donkeys years so I don't know what they do now. I believe they go both ways.

Neither have I, but I think that's both ways because there can be 2 classes, Rt-hand and Lft-hand s/cars, each having the rider on the inside.

So on the continent both solos and s/cars go the same way.

Yes they are left hand sidecars. 'Left-handers' are still raced today and Kent has aways been the most popular area for them.

Neither have I, but I think that's both ways because there can be 2 classes, Rt-hand and Lft-hand s/cars, each having the rider on the inside.

So on the continent both solos and s/cars go the same way.

There are 3 sidecar classes. The most popular being the Right Hand Class that races clockwise with the sidecar on the left (nearest the outside of the track). The Left Hand Class race anti-clockwise and also have the sidecar on the left (nearest the inside of the track). Both use multi-cylinder 1,000cc engines. The 3rd class is the 500cc class that race anti-clockwise (like solos) use 500cc single cylinder (similar to speedway) engines with the sidecar on the right (nearest the outside of the track).

Kelvin Tatum's father could have been riding there, he was known as "Spud" Tatum.

I was just having a look ........

Thanks for sharing. I can't answer your question, but I was mesmerised by the whole film. Great clips of old cars in what appeared such a happy peaceful time.