British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
daytonabridge

Methanol Question

I am about 3 weeks away from finishing a Jawa 2 valve restoration and need to fire it up to make sure the motor runs O.K. after a re-build . I have a gallon of methanol but it's from the end of last season so getting on for 4 months old , is it good to use or should I look for fresh fuel , thanks .

If you have a spark (and you can check that easy enough) and the timing is set right, it should fire up if the fuel is ok.

I would drain the carb of old fuel, replenish with what you have in the gallon tank and see how it goes.

I put 10 year old dope in my JAP, which hadn't been started for over 10 years and it burst into life at the first attempt.

Based on this experience it'll be fine.

What makes you think buying new fuel is better? The supplier's fuel is more than likely older than what you have

• Like 1

If its in a sealed container I'd use it.

• Like 1

It will be ok to start the bike on and warm it up.

I would not use old fuel to ride the bike . I have used old fuel lots of times just to start it and then change it to ride on.

Glyn

• Like 1

It will be ok to start the bike on and warm it up.

I would not use old fuel to ride the bike . I have used old fuel lots of times just to start it and then change it to ride on.

Glyn

save it . mix old engine oil with it and bung it in your Landrover

• Like 2

In a sealed container there'll be nothing wrong with it. I've used 'old' fuel lots of times with no issues.