British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Periscope. A Promoters Nightmare App.

Playing around with Periscope last night at the Poole Speedway Quiz night it occured to me just how simple and easy this little bit of software is, and also how much carnage it can do.

The footage streamedcanbe better than the Bet365 efforts of 2014, there no signing up and it would be free.

How on earth could promoters police this? Hand in your phone at the turnstile? Ban fans from the stadium if caught? (There would always be someone else to take over)

Could promoters use Periscope to their advantage? Is there a professional version where a stream could be set up and a charge applied for access?

Lots to think about but we could see many meetings online in 2016 from around the UK. Not only live but for 24 hours afterwards. How would this affect companies such as Rerun?

Playing around with Periscope last night at the Poole Speedway Quiz night it occured to me just how simple and easy this little bit of software is, and also how much carnage it can do.

The footage streamedcanbe better than the Bet365 efforts of 2014, there no signing up and it would be free.

How on earth could promoters police this? Hand in your phone at the turnstile? Ban fans from the stadium if caught? (There would always be someone else to take over)

Could promoters use Periscope to their advantage? Is there a professional version where a stream could be set up and a charge applied for access?

Lots to think about but we could see many meetings online in 2016 from around the UK. Not only live but for 24 hours afterwards. How would this affect companies such as Rerun?

periscope can be used interactively , people could view pits interviews from the terraces . and be connected with their team all the way through a meeting . it could be used as a scoreboard and programme as well . promoters better get on board with this because it's coming one way or another and it would be better to be in the driving seat first off , it's virtually impossible to get kids faces out of their fones these days ,and it could be just the thing that gets a few of them back on the terraces .

• Like 1

Do keep up Steve, some people have already been doing this :P I watched a few meetings last season (including the one where Troy Batchelor fiddled his average to allow Swindon to sign Ward!) on periscope. While it's better than nothing, it's not the same level as the bet365 feeds.

If you follow enough people on twitter you can find streams for quite a few meetings, or you certainly could late on last season.

Do keep up Steve, some people have already been doing this :P I watched a few meetings last season (including the one where Troy Batchelor fiddled his average to allow Swindon to sign Ward!) on periscope. While it's better than nothing, it's not the same level as the bet365 feeds.

If you follow enough people on twitter you can find streams for quite a few meetings, or you certainly could late on last season.

I bet tangoman .is working out how to stop it or charge for it . Gospeed yayy driving speedway into the ground

Haven't a clue what you good people are talking about but, then again, could never understand what Steve Shovlar was commenting on in the good old days of the Oxford Speedway Forum!

Haven't a clue what you good people are talking about but, then again, could never understand what Steve Shovlar was commenting on in the good old days of the Oxford Speedway Forum!

Periscope is an app which allows live streaming from a mobile phone to the internet , basicly someone points the camera of a mobile at something , and anyone can log on to the net and see what they are filming ,

• Like 1

Periscope is an app which allows live streaming from a mobile phone to the internet , basicly someone points the camera of a mobile at something , and anyone can log on to the net and see what they are filming ,

Thanks for the explanation!

Saw a few races from meetings last season, not too concerned about the quality, would rather see them than nothing.

Keep up Steve, the Piratecast boys were using periscope for most of last season - choosing selected heats as a taster for fans that couldn't attend!!

I think it could be counter-productive to use it for whole live meetings - a bit like Sky really!! :D:wink:

• Like 1

Interestingly this statement has just been issued.

We would like to remind all fans that it is illegal to stream any portion of games without prior permission from the league.

In recent weeks there has been an increase in the number of occasions when matches have been shown using the app Periscope.

This is a breach of copyright and will be taken very seriously by all clubs in the Elite League.

Anyone found to be live streaming games without prior agreement will be banned from attending games across the league.

As a league it is important we embrace the ever-changing world of social media, but at the same time we have also protect our product.

Published 27th January 2016.

Ice Hockey EL.

Keep up Steve, the Piratecast boys were using periscope for most of last season - choosing selected heats as a taster for fans that couldn't attend!!

I think it could be counter-productive to use it for whole live meetings - a bit like Sky really!! :D:wink:

And Matt Ford didn't mind?

I am wondering if there is a way to periscope away meetings for fans unable to travel. A small charge of say a fiver to watch the meeting by having to log in through a password. Not sure if the software makes it possible for this to be set up but it's a revenue stream for clubs if it is. I would be happy to pay a fiver to watch if I found it impossible to attend.

I hope it is somehow embraced than the BSPA sending out a warning to fans. But I somehow doubt it.

Speedway clubs should embrace technology.

You should embrace a skunk, oh wait a minute I forgot about the smell. I don't think the skunk could stand it. :cheers:

Periscope is absolutely pointless; the quality is often poor and the angle of the view doesn't make for compelling viewing.

I also go to speedway not only for the racing but for the atmosphere, company and banter with all the locals in the grandstand.

• Like 1

Pretty sure you can plug in a small camera like a go pro to improve the quality of the image no end.

Of course the stream will still be afected by bandwidth issues but playback in the 24 hours after the event should be good on wifi.

And it comes down to the skill of the cameraman as well.