British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Periscope. A Promoters Nightmare App.

With the way the world is nowadays it seems to key to everything if you want to be successful is using the many forms of social media out there to sell / show your product to the public.

How many people use there smart phones laptops or other media device to watch news weather and so on . Sky themselves offer various form's on all these kind of devices .

Yes what people are doing with this periscope app is classed as illegal but i can see the potential in the product.

Using this app or something similar would be a great way of showing others just what speedway is all about , think someone back on the post said about a weekly 5-10 minutes highlights program that could be shown that could be linked added to the various social media sites that clubs use to promote their clubs.

Along as it was done right and all above board through the proper channels surely this could only be a benefit to the sport ?

Give the public a teaser of what this sport is all about that we all love , yes it won't be everyone's cup of tea but the average of a speedway supporter on the terraces is not that young and in my option that age figure is only going to increase .

Remember this is a sport that banned a radio station from doing live commentary as people were supposedly preferring to stay at home and LISTEN to Speedway rather than WATCH it.....!

Embracing visual technology may take some time.....!

Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but....

it was fine to allow BET365 to stream whole meetings live last season, How did that arrangement not endanger the Sky contract, yet one or two enthusiastic fans showing a couple of heats from a few meetings to encourage more 'stay at homes' to attend (or at the very least to watch more Sky meetings) is a contractual problem???!!

• Like 1

Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but....

it was fine to allow BET365 to stream whole meetings live last season, How did that arrangement not endanger the Sky contract, yet one or two enthusiastic fans showing a couple of heats from a few meetings to encourage more 'stay at homes' to attend (or at the very least to watch more Sky meetings) is a contractual problem???!!

You really think some amateurish video is going to encourage 'stay at homers' to start attending?

"I'm not bothered about going to the speedway much these days, too much effort.. oh look, I can watch it for free now on internet! I think I'll start going to the effort of going again!"

When are folk going to grasp, it won't stop at a 'couple of heats'. If not nipped in the bud some folk will be streaming full meetings and revelling in the 'attention' and 'praise' they get.

Being pedantic, Bet365 wasn't last season.

Edited by BWitcher

As I've said before, I agree that the whole meeting should never be streamed, but the clubs themselves seem very reluctant to use their own websites to show weekly highlights footage, whether it be from Sky, the Track Video Company or a couple of decent periscopers who are given permission?!

If it manages to get even a few more paying customers in/back in or even a couple more watching on Sky then I really don't see a problem.

Anything that goes on any of the social media platforms is much more likely to reach the younger audiences than anything on TV these days - and may even whet their appetites to attend

Edited by Skidder1
  • Like 1

You really think some amateurish video is going to encourage 'stay at homers' to start attending?

"I'm not bothered about going to the speedway much these days, too much effort.. oh look, I can watch it for free now on internet! I think I'll start going to the effort of going again!"

When are folk going to grasp, it won't stop at a 'couple of heats'. If not nipped in the bud some folk will be streaming full meetings and revelling in the 'attention' and 'praise' they get.

Being pedantic, Bet365 wasn't last season.

Not if the person putting a couple of races out on it with the agreement of the management, ie given a licence to do it.

If they start showing too much then they are stopped

SS did the management give you the ok to use periscope for a couple of races. ?

Not if the person putting a couple of races out on it with the agreement of the management, ie given a licence to do it.

If they start showing too much then they are stopped

SS did the management give you the ok to use periscope for a couple of races. ?

Surely SS is management- PPPSO - Poole Pirates positive spin officer ;)

Given so many fans complain about the length of meetings (specifically the time it takes between races), using this app could certainly help appease that complaint as well as adding to the overall experience...

Maybe not showing the racing due to contract stipulations, but maybe just filming the pits?

Possibly even interviews from riders around track conditions, how their night is going, what they feel about the current score (if you can find one who knows obviously!) and maybe mechanics too could get asked as they are changing parts of the bike why such decisions have been made. Managers also could be asked about tactical changes, their thoughts on the match thus far etc etc..

Would certainly enhance the engagement of the crowd I would suggest and certainly beats listening to some drivel between races from the centre green about "its Betty's 80th Birthday and her favourite rider is Ove Fundin" or listening to a K-Tel Hits of the 70's CD...

Maybe even get the team doing the meeting DVD (if applicable) to do the filming so the sound and vision is good and they maybe will get a spin off by being able to plug their products to a 'live' audience watching in the stadium....

BV for example, has WIFI so everyone theoretically could access it during a meeting there even if they haven't got t'internet on their own phone.

(Subject to a meeting ever taking place there obviously)!!

Edited by mikebv

Some one may have already posted this but link below to a podcast

http://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/home-straight-speedway-podcast

Hosted by EDP sports reporter Gavin Caney and co-hosted by recently retired rider Olly Allen, the manager of the BSPA-backed national Poultec Speedway Training Programme, and Sheffield Tigers captain, Team GB international and guest Sky Sports pundit Simon Stead.

09.20 into the podcast is when they star their discussion on the periscope matter if any one want to listen

Edited by Pob