British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Periscope. A Promoters Nightmare App.

And Matt Ford didn't mind?

I am wondering if there is a way to periscope away meetings for fans unable to travel. A small charge of say a fiver to watch the meeting by having to log in through a password. Not sure if the software makes it possible for this to be set up but it's a revenue stream for clubs if it is. I would be happy to pay a fiver to watch if I found it impossible to attend.

I hope it is somehow embraced than the BSPA sending out a warning to fans. But I somehow doubt it.

With Piratecast primarily being an unofficial podcast about the Pirates - usually a one hour talk show between 2 fans on a Thursday evening - they took to adding a bit of commentary and footage of some selected good action to help stimulate conversation in the Piratecast chatroom and on their Twitter and facebook pages.

As was said on another thread, if all clubs are to impose a 'stop and search' policy at the turnstiles an d stop people taking phones and tablets in with them, that would likely be the quickest way of reducing attendances than anything else. I can't see that anything will stop an enthusiastic and supportive fan recording a bit of action (whether using the periscope app or not) and tweeting it to their followers?! You never know it might actually entice more new fans to attend??!

Glasgow hope to make much more use of the platform this year having dipped their toe in last. The new streaming integration within twitter is an exciting development. Although of course full race footage will not be permitted.

Facebook mentions will also be great, once they relax it's current constraints on celebrities only.

Edited by Fingersfin

Interestingly this statement has just been issued.

We would like to remind all fans that it is illegal to stream any portion of games without prior permission from the league.

In recent weeks there has been an increase in the number of occasions when matches have been shown using the app Periscope.

This is a breach of copyright and will be taken very seriously by all clubs in the Elite League.

Anyone found to be live streaming games without prior agreement will be banned from attending games across the league.

As a league it is important we embrace the ever-changing world of social media, but at the same time we have also protect our product.

Published 27th January 2016.

Ice Hockey EL.

expect tangoman to copy and paste this anytime soon

You should embrace a skunk, oh wait a minute I forgot about the smell. I don't think the skunk could stand it. :cheers:

Awww would be nice for someone to embrace KKS , round the throat tightly for about 5 minutes

Edited by speedibee

Playing around with Periscope last night at the Poole Speedway Quiz night it occured to me just how simple and easy this little bit of software is, and also how much carnage it can do.

The footage streamedcanbe better than the Bet365 efforts of 2014, there no signing up and it would be free.

How on earth could promoters police this? Hand in your phone at the turnstile? Ban fans from the stadium if caught? (There would always be someone else to take over)

Could promoters use Periscope to their advantage? Is there a professional version where a stream could be set up and a charge applied for access?

Lots to think about but we could see many meetings online in 2016 from around the UK. Not only live but for 24 hours afterwards. How would this affect companies such as Rerun?

Couldn't the promoter login his own account and tap in to the broadcaster at the meeting if someone is broadcasting live and ask them to stop or sling them out?. I've just discovered periscope and its not difficult to do. Just a matter of looking to see where the person is videoing from and getting the "health n safety" mob to show some muscles!. I wonder if they already do!!!!

Edited by PiratesPiratesPirates

A football website I go on charges 20 quid a year for members to gain access to certain restricted sections that are away from the public forums (which are still 'free' the same as BSF).

Maybe speedway clubs' official websites could do something similar and charge per week/month to make a few quid? Very minimal costs to set up...

Would mean clubs co-operating as home teams would need to give permission for the away team to 'film' the meeting and not complain about "keeping fans away" and any 'rights owners' would have to consider the greater future growth potential of getting your message out there rather than think short term...

Who knows, maybe those who run the sport could think collectively and do something 'properly' via the official British Speedway website and then share all money generated together?

(So pretty much no chance of it happening then)..

Edited by mikebv

Speedway clubs should embrace technology.

Remember the days when John Perrin wanted to ban TV cameras from Belle Vue? Several promoters wanted to ban "live speedway updates". Speedway promoters, I get the impression, are frightened of technology, when it could be used massively to promote the sport. You only need to follow professional teams from other sports on social media, especially American franchises, to see how they keep fans and media up to date with any news.

Speedway clubs should embrace technology.

And as for the argument that TV or streaming or the equivalent could affect attendances a) I've never understood the mentality of people, who have the chance to see live events, would rather watch it through a small screen and B) if the atmosphere and entertainment was better at speedway meetings, fans would come no matter what the alternatives were, because they would want to be part of the experience.

Remember the days when John Perrin wanted to ban TV cameras from Belle Vue? Several promoters wanted to ban "live speedway updates". Speedway promoters, I get the impression, are frightened of technology, when it could be used massively to promote the sport. You only need to follow professional teams from other sports on social media, especially American franchises, to see how they keep fans and media up to date with any news.

And as for the argument that TV or streaming or the equivalent could affect attendances a) I've never understood the mentality of people, who have the chance to see live events, would rather watch it through a small screen and B) if the atmosphere and entertainment was better at speedway meetings, fans would come no matter what the alternatives were, because they would want to be part of the experience.

That is a good point and certainly one that promoters should think about .......

Would think it is extremely difficult to stop with the number of people who use mobile phones at meetings. The person or people doing it just need to move around. Nothing wrong with showing the odd heat.

Ice Hockey released the statement above about periscope but they are far ahead of speedway in that most teams already do a professional stream and charge between £5-10 to watch it. They been doing it few years and don't think it effects attendance much.

The same footage is then used in a one hour highlights programme each week on premier sports.

Clean Cut sports stream Coventry ice hockey and also record Coventry speedway and few others but not allowed to stream due to Go Speed.

Online coverage is certainly not effecting the Cardiff Devils. Their crowds are thriving at the moment and they're selling out!

Would be good, but as Morrissey says, it would probably be for me to watch replays as I go to the event for the sounds, live action, friends, food etc etc

Speedway is overpriced, I went last night to watch The Libertines at the o2 and the ticket cost me £35.

That's only double what I would pay for speedway and the entertainment levels aren't even comparable!

Speedway is overpriced, I went last night to watch The Libertines at the o2 and the ticket cost me £35.

That's only double what I would pay for speedway and the entertainment levels aren't even comparable!

That's a totally ridiculous comparison!!!!

• Like 2

That's a totally ridiculous comparison!!!!

Unfortunately that's the decision me and other young people face, speedway needs to get real and understand that it's not a £17 sport.

Unfortunately that's the decision me and other young people face, speedway needs to get real and understand that it's not a £17 sport.

Can't possibly compare speedway with a 'one-off' concert. Totally different scenario!