British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Periscope. A Promoters Nightmare App.

Steve just seen your vid on periscope can we watch bt sport speedway on that kodi

Not true. They are banned during official meetings on safety grounds, because the camera and the helmet mounts are deemed to be a weak spot for damage on the head, if hit on the top of the helmet. Riders can and do use them in non official meetings such as practice sessions

what a complete load of waffle , helmets come with go pro mounts moulded in , and they can also be mounted on the side of a helmet ,

Steve just seen your vid on periscope can we watch bt sport speedway on that kodi

Yes every sports channel in the world.

Would there stranglehold actually hold up if it were tested in court?

I think it would . because the smallprint covers even amatuer photographers posting pictures on facebook .

what a complete load of waffle , helmets come with go pro mounts moulded in , and they can also be mounted on the side of a helmet ,

Better get in touch with the SCB then, I'd rather believe them. It was them that banned them before the last season, and the camera in the helmet mount can cause more damage if a direct hit on the top of the helmet. It's nothing to do with GoSpeed, SKY or any broadcasting rights. More anti Garbage from you.

• Like 1

Better get in touch with the SCB then, I'd rather believe them. It was them that banned them before the last season, and the camera in the helmet mount can cause more damage if a direct hit on the top of the helmet. It's nothing to do with GoSpeed, SKY or any broadcasting rights. More anti Garbage from you.

Can I have maple syrup with your next load of old waffle please . or strawberry jam if Gospeed have bought the rights to maple syrup for a magic bean .

Riders that compete in the AMA supercross still use go pro type cameras in their competition. As do the riders in MXGP.

That may be so, but I remember when GoPros were banned in actual racing, it was thought that they were to be universally banned. Clearly that hasn't happened, but nevertheless the SCB banned their use despite what scaremonger speedibee would like everyone to believe. Rib tickling humour it is not.

FIM certainly took note of dangers imposed on helmet safety, and definately issued a ban.

Anyone using one in a m/cycling event under FIM jurisdiction (not just FIM events) is going to lose their insurance rights, etc, if anything happened.

As I understand it, the dangers were highlighted by Michael Schumacher's ski-ing accident, when he was apparently wearing a helmet-cam. The helmet manufacturers themselves then approached sporting bodies such as the FIM to emphasise the dangers.

• Like 1

No getting away from the fact that Gospeed have a stranglehold on Speedway rights (for right or wrong you choose.... :nono: )

Strange how many top riders continue to use Go pro cameras ....may be they need educated on the dangers!!

Edited by topaz325

Didn't the investigation into Michael Schumachers severe head injury conclude that the fact that Schumacher landed directly on the camera mount part of his helmet, contributed significantly to the extent of the injury that he suffered, and that without the GoPro camera / mount being there, the effectiveness of the helmet in preventing injury would have been enhanced? Something to do with the focussing of impact pressure on a small surface area as opposed to dissipating it across a wider area? OK so it was a skiing accident, but so what? It was a head injury, for someone wearing a helmet with a GoPro on it. What does it matter about the when's and where's.

Pretty sure you can plug in a small camera like a go pro to improve the quality of the image no end.

I'm pretty sure you can't.

Periscope (and Meercat come to that) don't offer video source options that I could see, when I tried them out last night, so you are stuck with the camera built in to the device that you have Periscope / Meercat installed on, and that's it.

Now on the other hand, if there is a video camera, with a built in Android back-end to it, allowing for 4G connectivity...and if the device was compatable with Periscope / Meercat, then you may be in business...

Didn't the investigation into Michael Schumachers severe head injury conclude that the fact that Schumacher landed directly on the camera mount part of his helmet, contributed significantly to

the extent of the injury that he suffered, and that without the GoPro camera / mount being there, the effectiveness of the helmet in preventing injury would have been enhanced? Something to do

with the focussing of impact pressure on a small surface area as opposed to dissipating it across a wider area? OK so it was a skiing accident, but so what? It was a head injury, for someone

wearing a helmet with a GoPro on it. What does it matter about the when's and where's.

I don't know if there ever was any conclusions released to the public but the investigators believed that it might have been the case:

But now investigators believe that they may have found a reason for the seriousness of the crash. They think that his helmet camera could have actually worsened the blown, and caused the helmet to shatter into pieces.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/motorsport/formulaone/michael-schumacher/10640839/Michael-Schumacher-skiing-crash-did-helmet-camera-cause-head-injuries.html

• Like 1

So if the camera was handlebar mounted it would be ok......no, its about the Gospeed rights.

Actually yes, that is allowed. So it's not a GoSpeed thing.