British Speedway Forum
Skidder1

Bspa Fans Forum.

My version of events, for what it's worth.

I reckon there were 60 in attendance and the event was ably hosted by the press and media guy from Kings Lynn (sorry don't know his name). Of the 60 I'd say about 20 were Coventry fans.

It lasted about 3 hours and apart from a couple who hogged the microphone and really tried to force their point of view it flowed quite well and covered a lot of subjects. Starting with rider safety and steps to make the bikes easier to handle and reduce costs. Apparently a very productive meeting was held earlier in the day with Ollie Allen and Danny King where their point of view made the BSPA reconsider their stance. I think it's a very good move to get riders and the BSPA to talk directly on these issues and the BSPA members were certainly impressed by the riders contribution.

Promotion of the sport on a national scale and media/social media also got a good airing. Personally the strangle hold that GoSpeed have over all the teams websites and social media is just crazy. How can you hope to broaden your fan base, particularly to younger people, when you are not allowed to show anybody how good the product is. There was a general agreement amongst the panel that this does need to be addressed (I'd say urgently)....we'll wait and see.

The lack of a sponsor for the Elite and Premier leagues was mentioned a few times but I can't recall a really positive answer.

Other topics discussed were track conditions, speed of meetings, more interaction between riders and fans, a national launch day for the wider media, racing on only one or two nights a week, putting British speedway first (looking after our own interests in relation to Sweden, Poland etc.) and planning very early for 2017.

All in all I think it was a worthwhile exercise. I certainly hope that, even though it was not very well attended, the BSPA members present thought so too. Most questions were answered concisely although there was a bit of shuffling of feet and gazing at the desk when the current fad of signing 8 or 9 riders was mentioned (work in progress I think!).

If they do run another one, and I hope they do, I'd recommend you give it a go if you can. After all it is an opportunity to put your point of view directly to those who run the sport. They were certainly listening and you could tell that certain points and views had the desired effect. Who knows, in their media savvy future it may be broadcast live with interaction from remote fans!

Anyway thank you BSPA for putting the event on. We look forward to a brighter future.

• Like 6

So the hall holds 300 we have a official BSPA press release middle of last week confirming there is only 50 places are available at that time,the fans that attended say there were only 50 fans in attendance, I'm no mathematical genius but something just does not add up

The lack of a sponsor for the Elite and Premier leagues was mentioned a few times but I can't recall a really positive answer.

Buster felt sure a sponsor for the EL would be in place for 2017.

• Like 1

Cleancut Sports Elite League it is then.

So the hall holds 300 we have a official BSPA press release middle of last week confirming there is only 50 places are available at that time,the fans that attended say there were only 50 fans in attendance, I'm no mathematical genius but something just does not add up

There were another 200 acceptances from BSF members who said one thing (that they were attending) and then did another (didn't go!!) :shock::nono::wink::wink: :wink: :D

Lets hope there is a fully comprehensive summary in this week's SS?! I'm sure there will be and I'm looking forward to reading it - along with (perhaps) what the next steps the BSPA will be making are.

Edited by Skidder1

I wouldn't worry too much about that; some people may have indicated attending and then elected not to. I think the important thing is that the BSPA were prepared to sit down with those who attended and discuss a range of topics with fans who care about Speedway. Would not have bothered me had I gone and sat down with them on my own; its that I was able to have that opportunity sets Speedway apart from practically any other sport. I mean just imagine trying to get round a table with the bosses of the FA Premier League !. Sounds like there was lots of passionate debate and I am sure those attending on both sides took at least something away from it; and as OleOleOle has done share it with others. It was not just a fans forum; as there was also constructive dialogue with rider representatives before hand.

So full marks to Chairman & Vice Chairman for coming up with this; and bet next season more of us will be in attendance. Far too much cynicism and negativity; for goodness sake Speedways back in a month; New National Stadium and some good young riders coming through the training tracks; lets be positive and work with a lot of good that exits in our great sport to move forward together.

It is not how many turned up; the point is that everyone of us was given the chance to apply get round the table with the Speedway Controllers (subject to 300). That's the point ! it don't matter if one person turned up it is not meant to be indicative of the number of us who care about the sport. Sure everyone on here cares about speedway otherwise you would go to a Lacross forum or something.

Edited by the outsider
  • Like 6

Can't believe that more Speedway fans in the area didn't attend 50?????

I would've gone and did register but couldn't get the day off work (short staffed)!

Hope they hold it in the hotbed of Speedway next year, East Anglia!!!! Surely more of us care here than those in the Midlands!! They gave us our voice and we were almost silent!!!!!!!

Edited by Trees

I'll say it again. Embrace technology have regional live link ups with the facility to ask questions and far more fans will get involved.

It was a great idea, they just need to refine and build on it. Maybe some techie minded fan could contact Buster or one of the others of the panel to work out a way to do it. I would have gone to Lynn to watch a link up but 200 mile round trip just to much.

• Like 4

Maybe arrange something akin to what the pirate cast boys do. You listen and can ask/answer via the chat box after registering.

• Like 3

I'll say it again. Embrace technology have regional live link ups with the facility to ask questions and far more fans will get involved.

It was a great idea, they just need to refine and build on it. Maybe some techie minded fan could contact Buster or one of the others of the panel to work out a way to do it. I would have gone to Lynn to watch a link up but 200 mile round trip just to much.

Only need that periscope app and a lap top for questions I guess .......
  • Like 1

Speedway has to embrace social media and live link ups generally, for meetings like this and for actual meetings. I did bring up the question of a social media and technology strategy for the sport at the meeting and (I think) had a fairly positive reaction but whether anyone follows through, we'll have to see. I'm more than happy top put time in advising on a few ideas I have if anyone wants to listen..

• Like 2

I notice a couple of engine tuners are saying the BSPA should contact them. Why? Speedway in the 60s and 70s got along quite nicely without all these finely tuned engines and the racing was as good if not better (depending on which tinted glasses you wear) so it can do so again. I realise it's probably several years away but an extra 2 mph from the engine resulting in 0.01 of a second of the track record does not provide additional entertainment. Seems to me better, not faster, racing provides better entertainment and that's what the majority of fans want.

That's my view anyway.

Edited by Star Lady
  • Like 6

I notice a couple of engine tuners are saying the BSPA should contact them. Why? Speedway in the 60s and 70s got along quite nicely without all these finely tuned engines and the racing was as good if not better (depending on which tinted glasses you wear) so it can do so again. I realise it's probably several years away but an extra 2 mph from the engine resulting in 0.01 of a second of the track record does not provide additional entertainment. Seems to me better, not faster, racing provides better entertainment and that's what the majority of fans want.

That's my view anyway.

Agreed, not interested in race times or seeing every race with riders strung out. Good close racing is what most want, a few seasons ago we continually had 5 - 1s and 4 - 2s most weeks and it got predictable and boring.

• Like 2

You still had tuners back then erskine/street etc. This will do nothing for speedway whatsoever,apart from put engine builders out of work and turn more riders away from British speedway.

Did they say what any plans were to try and promote and get speedway more media coverage possibly, that thing that may actually tempt more people to come to speedway

• Like 1