British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
mdmc82

El Predictions 2016

Now and again you get a young rider that can jump straight into the top League like Joe Screen, Lewis Bridger and Roger Lambert but most of the top riders have learnt their trade in a lower league with Tatum riding for Wimbledon in the second tier, Wigg at Weymouth and Loram at Hackney even though he did start in his first season at the top.

The Premier League needs to be doing much more for British riders like making foreign riders keep their assessed average until they reach that level. If they miss a meeting only their real average is used and if replaced also.

How many teams would bring back a rider on a 5 or 7 average if they are only averaging 3. Plus it would mean all Premier League teams would have British reserves and more second strings also.

Michael started his official carrier in 1975 he rode for Boston in the National league 2nd div in his 1st year he finished with a 9.13 average he also rode some meetings for Kings lynn in the British league that year.

In 76 he rode for Kings lynn in the British league won the British junior title and finished on a 9.22 average.

In 77 he was top of the British league averages 10.64 won the British final.First world final finishing 4th and won the World team cup.

He won the world speedway crown in 1980 in Gothenburg.

I make him 17 when he averaged the 9.22 and 18 when he topped the averages with 10.64

That will never happen again.

I remember watching him at Lynn when he was 14 and he was quick even then. ;)

Michael was one of the most talented riders ive seen at Poole, when he was right. I still remember him stalking Mitch Shirra for 3 laps and taking him as though he just wasn't there. He would do this on a weekly basis.

Now and again you get a young rider that can jump straight into the top League like Joe Screen, Lewis Bridger and Roger Lambert but most of the top riders have learnt their trade in a lower league with Tatum riding for Wimbledon in the second tier, Wigg at Weymouth and Loram at Hackney even though he did start in his first season at the top.

The Premier League needs to be doing much more for British riders like making foreign riders keep their assessed average until they reach that level. If they miss a meeting only their real average is used and if replaced also.

How many teams would bring back a rider on a 5 or 7 average if they are only averaging 3. Plus it would mean all Premier League teams would have British reserves and more second strings also.

Pretty sure Tatum rode in the top flight for Wimbledon right from the off.

• Like 1

Shouldn't these type of posts be in a different topic, I thought this was for EL predictions :shock::D

Pretty sure Tatum rode in the top flight for Wimbledon right from the off.

Think you are right then signed for Cov when he was about 18 I think

Think you are right then signed for Cov when he was about 18 I think

Tatum was 19 when he started riding for Wimbledon in 1983.

Not many start off in the top league aged 16.

• Like 1

It's very hard to look beyond Poole and Belle Vue for likely champions this year. Poole look favourites, but Craig Cook's form could prove key for Belle vue and they are the only real challengers.

Usual suspects Swindon, Coventry, Lakeside and King's Lynn behind them.

Wolves and Leicester the also rans.

Who else? I'm sure I've forgotten someone. Can't be much good if I have!

EDIT - Nope. That's all of them. Only 8 teams? That's not many!

OK - League table:

Poole

Belle Vue

King's Lynn

Swindon

Coventry

Lakeside

Wolves

Leicester (not Lakeside)

Champions: Belle Vue

Edited by grachan
  • Like 1

It's very hard to look beyond Poole and Belle Vue for likely champions this year. Poole look favourites, but Craig Cook's form could prove key for Belle vue and they are the only real challengers.Usual suspects Swindon, Coventry, Lakeside and King's Lynn behind them.Wolves and Leicester the also rans.Who else? I'm sure I've forgotten someone. Can't be much good if I have!EDIT - Nope. That's all of them. Only 8 teams? That's not many!OK - League table:PooleBelle VueKing's LynnSwindonCoventryLakesideWolvesLakesideChampions: Belle Vue

Lakeside have 2 teams then? :wink:

• Like 2

It begins with L. Same thing.

It's very hard to look beyond Poole and Belle Vue for likely champions this year. Poole look favourites, but Craig Cook's form could prove key for Belle vue and they are the only real challengers.

Usual suspects Swindon, Coventry, Lakeside and King's Lynn behind them.

Wolves and Leicester the also rans.

Who else? I'm sure I've forgotten someone. Can't be much good if I have!

EDIT - Nope. That's all of them. Only 8 teams? That's not many!

OK - League table:

Poole

Belle Vue

King's Lynn

Swindon

Coventry

Lakeside

Wolves

Lakeside

Champions: Belle Vue

Hell of a long time since we've seen a prediction like this from any speedway fan, I'm loving it.

Sadly I can't see past Poole as the 2016 champions............again. There is also 1 team whose 1-5 have lots of improvement in them and probably the best No 6, so for me Wolves are my dark horses.

Top 4 of Poole top, then 2-4 in no particular order of Belle Vue, Swindon and Wolves. 5-7 in no particular order of Coventry, Kings Lynn and Lakeside, with Leicester the new Belle Vue of the Elite League.

First set of EL prices posted on 'oddschecker':

Poole - 10/11

Belle Vue - 7/2

Swindon - 13/2

Coventry - 13/2

Wolverhampton - 14/1

Lakeside - 18/1

King's Lynn - 22/1

Leicester - 100/1

I'd say that Swindon are a more comfortable 3rd/Coventry not to close to 3rd as that. Maybe makes the Bees 10/1 and I'd agree with that.

Will be interesting to see how the removal of the heat leader list has an effect in May!

Yes, they have reduced it to just two this year. Last year it was a different line up almost every meeting !

• Like 1

It begins with L. Same thing.

Of course, bit like Somerset and Scunthorpe.