British Speedway Forum
The Voice Of Reason

Lakeside Speedway - Smoke & Mirrors?

With the likes of Facebook creating a page these days a fans forum isn't really of interest these days. Any team or organisation can have their own page where discussion is open to the world rather than a select few.

With speedway being a minority sport it needs as much help from the fans as possible and if the social media gives them a view or connection to each other should be a benefit to both sides.

• Like 2

With the likes of Facebook creating a page these days a fans forum isn't really of interest these days. Any team or organisation can have their own page where discussion is open to the world rather than a select few.

With speedway being a minority sport it needs as much help from the fans as possible and if the social media gives them a view or connection to each other should be a benefit to both sides.

Is that why you are posting on one? It should not be a case of either-or. Jon Cook is a dinosaur when it comes to communication and has had it in for the Lakeside Fans Forum for some time. My guess, is that it is pay back, because he believes the whistle blower to the concessions fiasco was a member of that forum.

• Like 1

Can't wait for the opening meeting, so looking forward to se how Lewis rides. Would be nice to think Tatum can help him, such a talent going to waste

True and you are even welcome on the Coventry Bees one with your views. :)

True and you are even welcome on the Coventry Bees one with your views. :)

I am registered on it but we have little to cheer about in recent years and internet issues over the last year or so has meant little and few visits to other sites but still been on Facebook and the BSPA site.

I think a few people in speedway are not keem on the social media sites and like to go their own way and dislike people giving opinions on things different to their own views. However it can be a helping hand in some cases but can also be a minefield.

• Like 1

That's just my point though TNT.

From what I understand, people can post comments on both Facebook and Twitter; but they do not enable such open debate as witnessed upon a forum.

I believe that both also restrict the amount of words used; and anything deemed even mildly negative can be easily deleted by the respective owner?

I don't have either, nor do I want them. However, my concern is that they are primarily used as one-way communication tools; in order to drip-feed a one-sided perspective to placate the 'happy clappies'.

Moreover, in the case of the Lakeside forum, I can assure people that the positive discussion far outweighed negativity.

Clearly, Mr Cook does not want to provide some of his supporters with a platform upon which to make their preferred method of comment. That's fine; it's his call. However, it just saddens me that our management have not been truthful around the true reason(s) for its sad demise.

That's just my point though TNT.

From what I understand, people can post comments on both Facebook and Twitter; but they do not enable such open debate as witnessed upon a forum.

I believe that both also restrict the amount of words used; and anything deemed even mildly negative can be easily deleted by the respective owner?

I don't have either, nor do I want them. However, my concern is that they are primarily used as one-way communication tools; in order to drip-feed a one-sided perspective to placate the 'happy clappies'.

Moreover, in the case of the Lakeside forum, I can assure people that the positive discussion far outweighed negativity.

Clearly, Mr Cook does not want to provide some of his supporters with a platform upon which to make their preferred method of comment. That's fine; it's his call. However, it just saddens me that our management have not been truthful around the true reason(s) for its sad demise.

I certainly agree with that.

I did post on Lakeside's Facebook page that it was a shame the forum had been closed - my post 'disappeared' - enough said.

Nothing to do with me, and you know it..

Not true, you attack anyone and everyone who dares to disagree with the (more often than not) nonsense you post. Your Matt F butt kissing (on here and on our own forum) is embarrassing. The Poole forum itself has been on the verge of closure more than once and is it a coincidence that you're always at the centre of things when these threats by the webmaster are made? You then disappear for a few days to let the dust settle and then you reappear like a bad smell and it starts all over again.

Lisa is 100% correct, but she's too polite to say things directly unlike myself.

• Like 1

I did post on Lakeside's Facebook page that it was a shame the forum had been closed - my post 'disappeared' - enough said.

I think that totally proves my point Tony.

Clearly, debate via Facebook and Twitter is going to be a complete and utter waste of time if we aren't even allowed to fairly question decisions.

Mr. Cook clearly wants everything obliterated that is in contradiction to his own ideas. What a sad individual he has become.

Maybe Bryn would like to come back on here and try and justify such censorship - from a promotion that apparently values the views of its supporters?

PLEASE NOTE! (particularly "The Voice of Reason")

a) I am NOT part of the Lakeside Hammers management nor their press officer

B) I've got far more important tasks to concentrate on other than pandering to your wishes including getting an infection in my right foot sorted out (and time is rapidly running out!) in order that I may walk my beautiful daughter down the aisle on Saturday.

Might I suggest that you attend the club's fans forum on on Feb 18 to find answers - the venue is 'just down the road' from Birmingham isn't it! A very upset and angry BRYN WILLIAMS!

I think that totally proves my point Tony.

Clearly, debate via Facebook and Twitter is going to be a complete and utter waste of time if we aren't even allowed to fairly question decisions.

Mr. Cook clearly wants everything obliterated that is in contradiction to his own ideas. What a sad individual he has become.

Maybe Bryn would like to come back on here and try and justify such censorship - from a promotion that apparently values the views of its supporters?

Well best of luck for Saturday Bryn; but I really don't see what your personal health and family wedding have got to do with anything Speedway related in this instance?

My post referred to you in dispatches given your closer (than many of our fans on here) relationship with the promotion; coupled with your blasé attitude with the closure of the forum; and it being replaced by Facebook and Twitter.

Given Tony's experience, outlined above, it just cements my opinion that such platforms of 'social media' are nothing but a camouflage for meaningful communication. Censorship clearly reigns supreme; and will no doubt continue to do so across both of these biased smoke-screens.

And for our promotion to produce such a weak, untruthful reason for our forums closure is basically treating those of us who regularly used it (including your good self) with nothing less than contempt.

Sorry to learn that you are so angry over someone simply expressing a point of view; I just perceive such a pile of utter bullsh!t from our promotion to be extremely patronising.

Edited by The Voice Of Reason
  • Like 1

Well best of luck for Saturday Bryn; but I really don't see what your personal health and family wedding have got to do with anything Speedway related in this instance?

My post referred to you in dispatches given your closer (than many of our fans on here) relationship with the promotion; coupled with your blasé attitude with the closure of the forum; and it being replaced by Facebook and Twitter.

Given Tony's experience, outlined above, it just cements my opinion that such platforms of 'social media' are nothing but a camouflage for meaningful communication. Censorship clearly reigns supreme; and will no doubt continue to do so across both of these biased smoke-screens.

And for our promotion to produce such a weak, untruthful reason for our forums closure is basically treating those of us who regularly used it (including your good self) with nothing less than contempt.

Sorry to learn that you are so angry over someone simply expressing a point of view; I just perceive such a pile of utter bullsh!t from our promotion to be extremely patronising.

I like you mate was annoyed when the forum shut but clearly not at much as yourself, if you feel that strongly why don't you go to the fans forum and ask Cook or the next home meeting? I have spoke to him a number of times before meetings and he has always been happy to answer any questions I had. It's not really nothing to do with Bryn and what his opinion is matters the same as mine and yours, no offence Bryn.

I like you mate was annoyed when the forum shut but clearly not at much as yourself, if you feel that strongly why don't you go to the fans forum and ask Cook or the next home meeting? I have spoke to him a number of times before meetings and he has always been happy to answer any questions I had. It's not really nothing to do with Bryn and what his opinion is matters the same as mine and yours, no offence Bryn.

Upse the forum has closed? Start your own. Launch you own Facebook page.

It's not that difficult.

• Like 1

Upse the forum has closed? Start your own. Launch you own Facebook page.

It's not that difficult.

Indeed that is what we did at Eastbourne when the official forum was closed by Mr Cook. Thankfully the new promotion at Arlington are keen to embrace the internet even more than the old.