British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
1 valve

2017 - 1 Or 2 Fixed Race Nights And When?

I think, even if we bend over backwards to accommodate "the big" boys, they'll still pick and choose when and where they want to ride... You'll end up with the same few who have appeared over here on a regular basis (NKI, MARCIN JANOWSKI, PETER KILDERMAND) just not so often, and the (TAI WOFFINDENS, MICHAEL JEPSON JENSONS) May appear once or twice, perhaps even JAREK HAMPEL might do a couple of meetings... But other than that, I don't think anyone else will ride here more than a single meeting!!!

The squads may exist on paper, but the riders I am talking about, won't come here (it is a money thing)

Edited by Shale Searcher
  • Like 2

If Friday is viable in Poland then why wouldn't it have been viable in the UK?

The issue now is that Poland are testing the water with this and if satisfied then it will rule it out for the UK next season

Personally I don't like the conflict of 2 days it should be one if we can achieve it. Monday is ideal in terms of planning for the riders and will attract pretty much all of them back.

If certain clubs can't do it then they should drop down, those who want to step up can do if they fancy a crack at the EL. I actually think we would get away with 7 teams so it gives a little scope

But the absolute priority has to be a common goal between every club and that is where it always falls flat on its arse. Too many promoters are self obsessed and cannot grasp the idea of a future and what that looks like

Edited by acef

If the big boys had only dropped out of British Speedway, say in the last 2 maybe 3 years, and the crowds had dropped literally by a thousand+ per track in the same time frame, I would agree, get the big guns back ASAP, and pay them accordingly..... But, the crowds have dropped away over the last 10+ years, and suddenly reintroducing the big GP/SEC names would only in my opinion drag back a hundred or so tops per track, and this would not bring the finances back into the clubs to blooming well fund them!!

It's a real problem, don't know the answers... It's about attracting a NEW breed of fan... That's the outcome required, but as I say, I don't know the solution.....

Edited by Shale Searcher
  • Like 1

I can't believe people are suggesting Friday as one of the fixed race nights. In the last two years out of eight meetings at Lakeside and Coventry, how many did Craig Cook race for Belle Vue. It was either one or zilch. It has got to be Wed/Thurs, .

Lakeside tried Wednesday race nights in 2008, and they abandoned the experiment because attendances plummeted, and that was in the days when we still had Adams, Crump etc.

What reason is there (apart from pure guesswork ) to believe they would be any better on Wednesdays now?

Coventry, Lakeside, and Belle Vue have Friday race nights for a reason. That's when the best crowds come.

• Like 2

Yet I am sure Rosco mentioned fri, which is strange with GPs on the sat and some practicing taking place on fridays. The fri may have now changed since Poland has announced fri night meetings.

I can only imagine that some are trying to get the 2nd night to suit their own club!

Looks like Thursday seems as good as certain tho.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised what continuity will bring.

A fixed race night with the EL being elite once more, by that I mean the best riders in the world, then the crowds will come. Absolutely they will come.

Why wouldn't they? Why wouldn't any speedway fan turn up on a fixed night to watch the sport they love with the best riders?

We undersell ourselves. The product is good, but the way it's organised and promoted is horrific and that is what has stopped people from showing up.

• Like 1

E I Addio, on 16 Feb 2016 - 9:29 PM, said:

Lakeside tried Wednesday race nights in 2008, and they abandoned the experiment because attendances plummeted, and that was in the days when we still had Adams, Crump etc.

What reason is there (apart from pure guesswork ) to believe they would be any better on Wednesdays now?

Coventry, Lakeside, and Belle Vue have Friday race nights for a reason. That's when the best crowds come.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised what continuity will bring.

A fixed race night with the EL being elite once more, by that I mean the best riders in the world, then the crowds will come. Absolutely they will come.

Why wouldn't they? Why wouldn't any speedway fan turn up on a fixed night to watch the sport they love with the best riders?

We undersell ourselves. The product is good, but the way it's organised and promoted is horrific and that is what has stopped people from showing up.

Pay the riders more than they get in other leagues & they will be here .. It really is that simple .

• Like 1

If certain clubs can't do it then they should drop down, those who want to step up can do if they fancy a crack at the EL.

And who are these PL clubs wanting to step up and why have they not applied to step up until now?

One look at Birmingham or Leicester shows it's not an easy task stepping up, even more so for those clubs that will need to change their race nights.

The reason is simple teams will turn up with there full side rather half the side missing ... Eastie and Leics had speedway on sat night but if teams up full of weak guests and rr the fans won't turn up .... Sweden have speedway on a Tuesday and it's not a problem at all ...once you change a race night people soon get used to it ..I remember at Swindon when they lost sat nights and how it would be the end of the world ....but after a couple of seasons people soon got there heads around it and it was soon forgotten .

Edited by orion

If certain clubs can't do it then they should drop down, those who want to step up can do if they fancy a crack at the EL. I actually think we would get away with 7 teams so it gives a little scope

e

Unfortunately Sky say it needs to be a minimum of 8, so that knocks that one on the head.

I wouldn't apply for something that wasn't viable. So for those PL teams that haven't, I'd argue it's not currently something that would work for their particular circumstances.

However that argument isn't relevant, or won't be, if the EL gets its act together in respect of race night, no doubling up clashes etc etc. I could go on. If the product and stepping up becomes viable then you'd do it. The landscape next season will be completely different if what needs to be done, is done.

The reason is simple teams will turn up with there full side rather half the side missing ... Eastie and Leics had speedway on sat night but if teams up full of weak guests and rr the fans won't turn up .... Sweden have speedway on a Tuesday and it's not a problem at all ...once you change a race night people soon get used to it ..I remember at Swindon when they lost sat nights and how it would be the end of the world ....but after a couple of seasons people soon got there heads around it and it was soon forgotten .

I understand the guest problem but crowds are much smaller now than when Swindon changed their race night. You talk about a couple of seasons and people got their heads round it but on present crowd levels can most clubs afford to go under the breadline for a couple of seasons before picking up again ? Whichever way you play it their are problems, especially as with only 8 EL clubs we cannot afford a single one to drop down to PL or worse still close completely.

The BSPA were meeting today so we should have some more info by their fans forum on Sunday, but don't expect a quick fix.

• Like 1

And who are these PL clubs wanting to step up and why have they not applied to step up until now?

One look at Birmingham or Leicester shows it's not an easy task stepping up, even more so for those clubs that will need to change their race nights.

To be fair Ipswich have said they would back EL if it's suits them, Glasgow have shown an interest for 2017 and with Sheffield who now have forward thinking promotion at the helm there is 3 very possibilities.

• Like 1

I understand the guest problem but crowds are much smaller now than when Swindon changed their race night. You talk about a couple of seasons and people got their heads round it but on present crowd levels can most clubs afford to go under the breadline for a couple of seasons before picking up again ? Whichever way you play it their are problems, especially as with only 8 EL clubs we cannot afford a single one to drop down to PL or worse still close completely.

The BSPA were meeting today so we should have some more info by their fans forum on Sunday, but don't expect a quick fix.

The crowds have fallen with the drop in standard ...what I guess what we all agree with is whatever they do expect them to make a total hash of it .

Monday and Wednesday make sense given the main issue we have is double up riders missing inflicted from our own rules - no PL on these nights!

It therefore defies logic that two teams moved from guest free home nights to Thursday and friday this year!

The biggest issue in British speedway now is teams with missing riders. A team without identity is the result!

There is an issue with the Danish League on wednesdays but we are not talking a lot of riders there.

If you look back to the league 10 years ago, how different it is!

2006 - 11 teams, 20 league fixtures plus play offs cup and Craven Shield, plus opening challenges

2016 - 8 teams, 14 league fixtures plus play offs and teams that frankly would struggle to get 30 points in 2006.

If fixed race nights raise the quality of riders and mean less are missing, its a positive step. Otherwise I would say a 21 team Premier League (at current PL level) sounds the next best bet at least with quantity of meetings and diversity.

Edited by SteveEvans
  • Like 1