British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
1 valve

2017 - 1 Or 2 Fixed Race Nights And When?

As it looks like we will be seeing a fixed race night(s) for EL next year I am wondering what your thoughts are on whether we are looking at one or 2 nights per week and if so what night(s) should they be?

To start with lets take the current set of circumstances. 8 teams v each other twice home and away. in this scenario based on one fixed night we would need 32 weeks to complete the regular season plus 2 more for play offs. On the face of it considering the current season runs for circa 30 weeks without allowance for rain offs or the World Cup this would appear not to work.

If the season is reduced to 8 teams meeting each other home and away once on a single fixed race night then only 16 weeks would be required and there appears to be sufficient spare weeks to cover for rain offs and World Cup breaks. The downside is a limited number of pay days and stadiums being used only eight times a year so I guess other forms of meetings would need to be considered especially for those clubs who own their stadium or who are speedway solace. Teams who rent may not mind so much, but 8 earning weeks would hardly generates a return/wage for promoters and managers.

If we look at 2 fixed race nights per week then the 2 meetings home and away concept can be retained and I believe is actually the most viable option given that it still provides sufficient time to run the season in what we would expect to be the best time of year weather wise, as well as providing sufficient income to the promoters. Having these race nights back to back would also help avoid multiple back and forth travel costs.

What thoughts do you guys have?

Edited by 1 valve
  • Like 1

I'd have thought the back to back race nights was a good idea regarding travel costs and riders wanting to be over here. Thursday's and (non gp) Friday's would probably the best option. The main issue will remain in riders wanting more money than the clubs can pay. Unless we're able to convince riders to ride for a more realistic match fee, I will need convincing that it's the way forward...

I do however, know for a fact that Saturday's have stopped Leicester from building a competitive team! Hopefully a fixed race night might at least allow us to not cause ourselves problems in team building!

Step one is to decide what this is attempting to achieve.

Is it enticing top line riders back?

Or

Eliminating clashes for doubling up riders?

Step two: establish whether PL teams are willing to change race nights to accommodate the EL, and how much flexibility EL teams that are tenants have.

Only then can you have a meaningful discussion about racedays.

Other issues to consider:

* How does this fit in with Sky's broadcasting plans?

* Will there even be enough teams to make the EL viable?

• Like 3

Any attempt to have fixed nights whether it be one night or two is all about enticing back the top world class riders that have departed.

Poland this year have suddenly declared a number of Fridays as league meetings. I assume that the Grand prix is on the Saturday.

Whatever happens , I sincerely hope that a squad system is thrown out of any thinking for the future.

• Like 1

Having fixed race night has to be about getting better riders back riding over here. There are much simpler solutions if its about d/u riders.

• Like 1

Having fixed race night has to be about getting better riders back riding over here. There are much simpler solutions if its about d/u riders.

like what ?

Step one is to decide what this is attempting to achieve.

Is it enticing top line riders back?

Or

Eliminating clashes for doubling up riders?

Step two: establish whether PL teams are willing to change race nights to accommodate the EL, and how much flexibility EL teams that are tenants have.

Only then can you have a meaningful discussion about racedays.

Other issues to consider:

* How does this fit in with Sky's broadcasting plans?

* Will there even be enough teams to make the EL viable?

why would there be a need for mutual exclusivity?

Why not create a situation where

a) Entices top riders back

B) Eliminates the loss of riders through doubling up

A change to regular fixed race nights must be thought through first on the basis of what is believed to be possible - which I why I looked at the 1 v 2 race nights then think about what race nights work best which in itself is fairly easy to work out giventhat only 3 nights are viable to provide back to back - Wed, Thurs & Fri.

Will there be enough teams for the EL? who knows, But consider this, If the EL did race on 2 fixed nights (say) Thursday & Friday, and (say) top riders could be persuaded to return to the UK attracted by earning good money over two consecutive nights then maybe more teams could be attracted to the EL rather than teams dropping out

You know it doesn't have to be all doom and gloom via dreaming up the concept of impossible tasks...just change for the best and the vision to go with it and promote the hell out of it for the good of the speedway in the UK.

Edited by 1 valve

like what ?

Like having 2 per spot like when d/u was first introduced or as rumoured to be bought in this year a number 8 to replace a missing rider at 2-5. Of course if set race nights entice enough riders back we wouldn't need d/u anyway.

Edited by woz01

Looks like it's happening anyway.

Hinted that it will be 2 nights by CVS and given that Lynn have moved to a Thursday I guess that is one of them.

Makes sense to keep Monday as the other, given the SKY deal.

Like having 2 per spot like when d/u was first introduced or as rumoured to be bought in this year a number 8 to replace a missing rider at 2-5. Of course if set race nights entice enough riders back we wouldn't need d/u anyway.

I thought you set much simpler ? what you have come up with would a complete mess ...a number 8 is a stinker of a idea as well ...nothing more simple than having teams who track the same one to seven each week .

• Like 1

Looks like it's happening anyway.

Hinted that it will be 2 nights by CVS and given that Lynn have moved to a Thursday I guess that is one of them.

Makes sense to keep Monday as the other, given the SKY deal.

If you have Monday and Thursday you still have riders flying in from Poland to ride Monday, back out to Sweden on Tuesday back over here on Thursday then off to Travel to GP, u21, GP qualifiers and whatever else on Friday, with no time to prepare for the big ones. Very few if any likely to bite that one, apart from those who want to be here anyway.

If the reason for fixed race nights is simply to avoid d/u riders I can't see sufficient numbers of punters turning out on a Monday just to see their own second strings instead of guests. Admittedly the use of guests has to be addressed but the bottom line is the second strings are not really the ones that put numbers on the gate.

Edited by E I Addio
  • Like 1

I thought you set much simpler ? what you have come up with would a complete mess ...a number 8 is a stinker of a idea as well ...nothing more simple than having teams who track the same one to seven each week .

The only way that'll happen if there was no d/u or draft riders. A number 8 is a very simple idea.

Edited by woz01

woz01, on 16 Feb 2016 - 2:21 PM, said:

The only way you will get the GP riders to show up every week & commit to an Elite League season is to pay them more money than they are getting riding in other countries leagues .. Give them the cash & they will come ..

• Like 5

If you have Monday and Thursday you still have riders flying in from Poland to ride Monday, back out to Sweden on Tuesday back over here on Thursday then off to Travel to GP, u21, GP qualifiers and whatever else on Friday, with no time to prepare for the big ones. Very few if any likely to bite that one, apart from those who want to be here anyway.

If the reason for fixed race nights is simply to avoid d/u riders I can't see sufficient numbers of punters turning out on a Monday just to see their own second strings instead of guests. Admittedly the use of guests has to be addressed but the bottom line is the second strings are not really the ones that put numbers on the gate.

Spot on.

The only way you will get the GP riders to show up every week & commit to an Elite League season is to pay them more money than they are getting riding in other countries leagues .. Give them the cash & they will come ..

Really don't think that is the case. They dont 'need' the busy schedule that the EL has at the minute because Poland and Sweden pays well enough but I think if the EL was run Wed and Thurs or Thurs and some Fridays they would ride over here. Edited by woz01

I beg to differ, the second strings are more likely able to mix/meet with fans after meetings, more likely want to interact with fans.... Than the "on a pedestal" STARS that have to jump straight in a car to get to airports for there next money spinner...